Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Outback, '15 Impreza Sport, '16 BRZ
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Outback with about 1750 miles on it. An intermittant squeak/creak has began to develop around the rear hatch area. Any thoughts how to alleviate it???

Also, need your recommendation for an cabin air filter purchase. Website/store, stock number, and approximate $ would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 3.6 LTD
95 Posts
This happened in a similar fashion on my 2010.

I sprayed some triflow on the lock mechanism and the squeak disappeared.

Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,452 Posts
I had the same issue...the service guy hopped in the back and I drove around the lot...he isolated the noise and it was just an easy rear gate adjustment and a bit of silicone spray on the closing point rubbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Outback 3.6R Liftgate Squeak

My liftgate squeaks horribly and no suggested remedy on this forum so far has solved the problem.

I bought the vehicle new and the liftgate squeak started at about 7,000 miles. I took it to the dealership where they slathered the rubber stops with silicone lubricant. That worked for less than 30 minutes. I brought it back and this time they removed the entire liftgate, making adjustments. That worked until I took the vehicle on a 4WD road.

Now, the liftgate squeaks incessantly. I've never owned a vehicle that does this and I am very dissatisfied. Again, any advice would be welcome.

Thank You.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My liftgate squeaks horribly and some of these posts seem rather biased and uninformed in their optimism. I am going to provide a lengthy description of my experience in hopes that others with similar experiences can offer advice.

I bought the vehicle new and the liftgate squeak started at about 7,000 miles. I took it to a Subaru dealership where they slathered the rubber stops with silicone lubricant. It worked for less than 30 minutes. I brought it back and this time they removed the entire liftgate, making adjustments. That worked nicely until I took the vehicle on a 4WD road.

Now, it squeaks incessantly at slow speeds. I've never owned a vehicle that does this and I am very dissatisfied. Again, any advice beyond spraying the locking mechanism with WD-40 would be welcome.

Thank You.
Every wagon hatch I've ever taken on dirt roads developed squeaks due to the dirt and grime getting into the works. All WAGON body styles have flex and as the car flexes the hatch rubs if the rubbing points are dirty they squeak. The best car I ever had for dirt road use was my legacy GT sedan no rattles or squeaks and you could drive it like a rally driver. The OB is just a little better crossing rough spots due to the added ground clearance but the body flex is in true wagon form quite excessive. The Jeep GC's I've ridden in had even worse body flex you could watch the rear of the GC deform around the rear hatch as you went down the road. Really good off road wagons go with a split gate the lower portion actually acts as a stiffener to keep the body stiff and reduce flex. It also keeps your gear from falling out on the dirt when you open the rear hatch.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
is your cargo cover store underneath the cargo map? The squeak/creak sound might be coming from that.....

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
609 Posts
Could be rubber seals wet/moist as well.

Try treating them with 1Z Gummi Pfledge. If you still hear it, then it very well may be latch or alignment of hatch to latch is off just a bit.

I'm sure these cars have enough body flex.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,041 Posts
There is a difference between a rubber squeak and a mechanical metal to metal squeal/grind. So it is necessary to identify which one you have and go from there. The only time my hatch made any noise was when I went off-roading and latch was not adjusted properly and needed a bit of grease. Since I fixed this, I never heard the hatch again and this was 40K miles ago.YMMV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts