Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2013 outback and was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket 2" hitch yet? I"m assuming the underneath is the same, but you never know! hate to buy a 2012 hitch and have to ship it back.

thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Appears so.

We just tested our hitch on the 2013 Subaru Outback.

NO changes to make. Hitch fits like a glove. No changes to the frame or the bumper, exhaust etc.

Those of you with 2013's are good to go.

-Torklift

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2013 outback and was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket 2" hitch yet? I"m assuming the underneath is the same, but you never know! hate to buy a 2012 hitch and have to ship it back.

thanks!
2010 through 2013 OB structure is identical not counting the suspension upgrades ie changes to address the floaty, shaky stuff the earlier cars had.

So yes its the same

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
To be honest, i would hold off until you get official word from Subaru. Among the suspension changes, Subaru also improved the crash test standards of the OB...meaning that all 2013 OB will get 5 stars on NHTSA (updated) testings. The main weakness of 2010-2012 OBs on NHTSA testing is the side pole crash test. Somehow, Subaru is saying that they have fixed this. How?? I have no idea. BUT, this means that there probably has been some structural modifications done to achieve this. Does this affect the rear end?? Who knows...but, before throwing down $500-1000 bucks for a rear hitch, i would make **** sure the rear ends are the same.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
To be honest, i would hold off until you get official word from Subaru. Among the suspension changes, Subaru also improved the crash test standards of the OB...meaning that all 2013 OB will get 5 stars on NHTSA (updated) testings. The main weakness of 2010-2012 OBs on NHTSA testing is the side pole crash test. Somehow, Subaru is saying that they have fixed this. How?? I have no idea. BUT, this means that there probably has been some structural modifications done to achieve this. Does this affect the rear end?? Who knows...but, before throwing down $500-1000 bucks for a rear hitch, i would make **** sure the rear ends are the same.
The same hitch sold to the 2012 owners has been confirmed to be an exact fit to the 2013 cars Thai that would suggest no changes in any manner regarding rear end structure. Pole test safety game can be played by any number of methods one of which is simply using stronger steel bits in key areas which are not found in the back end of the car.

The same hitch on the 2010's have been confirmed to fit the 2012 cars hence the 2013 cars have the same set up ie fit the 2010 had.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Oh ok...good...where r u getting this info?? If that's the case, then good!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2013 hitch

Good to know they fit. I need to get a hitch to get my boat out of the water in about a month, so need to plan ahead!

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
I just bought a 2013. The dealership wasn't positive if the factory hitch would fit a '13, since they didn't have updated parts lists for the '13 yet.

They put on a hitch and wiring harness for a 2012 onto my 2013. It fits.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I just bought a 2013. The dealership wasn't positive if the factory hitch would fit a '13, since they didn't have updated parts lists for the '13 yet.

They put on a hitch and wiring harness for a 2012 onto my 2013. It fits.
Well, excellent! Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
And from experience the only time I see fit changes to hitch bars is when the car sees a major head to toe redesign example would be the 09 outback hitch will not fit the 2010 and newer outbacks.
Exception...see Mercedes G-wagen. The newer models has a redesigned rear end (due to need for improved protection of rear mounted gas tank)...prior hitch options would not fit.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Touring CVT
24 Posts
Question: I'm getting a factory hitch installed this week (had to wait for it to arrive), and I also bought the car with the rear bumper underguard. I only found out this weekend on the Subaru USA site that you can't have both installed. Is this something unique to Canada? The Canadian Subaru site is set up differently and doesn't mention either way. I talked to a Subaru manager today (on other matters as well), and he said it depended on the hitch.

If I can't have both, I wanted to go with the remote starter instead (to make up the difference in cost).

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
No guessing the under guard can't be cut to allow the stock subaru hitch to pass through the bumper. Probably the same issue with any of the OB's 2010 through 2012.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Exception...see Mercedes G-wagen. The newer models has a redesigned rear end (due to need for improved protection of rear mounted gas tank)...prior hitch options would not fit.
Its OK I recall the Rseries was the same way that might be a Mercedes thing more than a other auto maker thing.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Touring CVT
24 Posts
And as a follow-up, the dealer confirmed they couldn't install it. Not happy about the dangling wire (will get & install the original hole plug and feed the harness back through until needed 2-3 times/year)

No guessing the under guard can't be cut to allow the stock subaru hitch to pass through the bumper. Probably the same issue with any of the OB's 2010 through 2012.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
It could be cut but there would be no trim over the cut edge like the factory install.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Incase anyone is curious. I installed a hidden hitch on the 2010 legacy over the weekend 3hrs took my time did the OEM method.

The Legacy is identical to the OB minus some space between your face and the underside of the car. I did it without raising the car. The major pain just like the OB was getting the heat shield back in place with the screws lined up etc. The rest of it was strait forward and identical to the OB.

Grandma now has a swagman two bike hitch rack mounted to the 1 1/4 inch receiver hidden hitch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts