Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking for a trailer hitch wiring kit for a 2013 Outback, etrailer, Uhaul, etc have no listed part number.

Has anyone wired a 2013 yet? Is the wiring the same as the 2012's, and everyone's parts lists are just not updated yet? Is it different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
2010 through 2013 is identical regarding tow bars and wiring harness essentially identical cars with minor changes made to a few things but the over all general car remains the same.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks! I wasn't sure since I can easily find tow bars listed for the '13's, but nobody is listing wire harnesses.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you seen or heard of anyone getting trailer lights successfully wired on a 2013 yet?

The dealer, nor Subaru customer service *think* there are any major changes to the light wiring. However, nobody seems to know for certain. SoA did tell caution that they do not have technical expertise either. So they could not be certain.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Have you seen or heard of anyone getting trailer lights successfully wired on a 2013 yet?

The dealer, nor Subaru customer service *think* there are any major changes to the light wiring. However, nobody seems to know for certain. SoA did tell caution that they do not have technical expertise either. So they could not be certain.
I highly doubt the wiring has changed at all.

Driver side under the covering over the rear wheel. Pull the foam inserts out of the trunk floor and run your finger under the edge of the plastic interior panel covering the tire well for the driver side rear tire. The wire might be bent back 180 and taped to its self as mine was. The wiring harness simply plugs into this plug and sits in the spare tire area. The wire to the plug is very long I simply ran it up and leave it in the foam tray and pull it out and shut the hatch on it. Have actually been doing this method since 2001 with zero issues and actually prefer the wire stays inside the car and like that the hatch can be used to position the wire out of the hitch to avoid pinching of the wires. My truck has the plug right next to the hitch - the plug corrodes always seems to fail when its dark out and raining- and with the plug right next to the hitch I have pinched several trailer light harnesses over the years the subaru however ZERO issues since I started towing with our first subaru in 2001

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
I ordered the 2012 harness from etrailer and it connected to my 2013 with no issues. I have not tested it yet though.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the 2012 harness from etrailer and it connected to my 2013 with no issues. I have not tested it yet though.
Thanks for the update! Any chance you will be testing it soon?

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
I installed it last weekend before I left town for work. I will not be home until 8/27. If someone doesn't report back before then, I'll try to check when I return.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
12 Posts
I just had a Curtis 2" hitch and trailer wiring installed on my 2013 Outback. There aren't any options to select 2013 Subaru yet in the systems of the installer, so he used 2012 as the year and everything fit and works great.

Trailer hitch looks great. I had a 1 1/4" receiver on my 2011 outback and I hated it. Apart from my bike rack, everything else I used it for I need to use a male-female adapter to adjust to 2". I hated the rattle and sways that the adapter caused. Plus, I was able to get the 2" receiver hitch and wiring installed for less than the OEM 1 1/4" package.

You may not prefer this, but I chose to have the trailer wiring ran through the inside of the car and not underneath. With how little I'll actually use the trailer wires, I'd rather they sit tucked away above the spare tire than dangling underneath the car exposed to the elements. Plus, it makes for a much neater install IMO.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
I stored the wire harness to the left under the felt/carpeted slat above the jack parts instead of in the actual tray to keep it from getting tangled. Kind of where the cargo cover stores to the left.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had a Curtis 2" hitch and trailer wiring installed on my 2013 Outback. There aren't any options to select 2013 Subaru yet in the systems of the installer, so he used 2012 as the year and everything fit and works great.

Trailer hitch looks great. I had a 1 1/4" receiver on my 2011 outback and I hated it. Apart from my bike rack, everything else I used it for I need to use a male-female adapter to adjust to 2". I hated the rattle and sways that the adapter caused. Plus, I was able to get the 2" receiver hitch and wiring installed for less than the OEM 1 1/4" package.

You may not prefer this, but I chose to have the trailer wiring ran through the inside of the car and not underneath. With how little I'll actually use the trailer wires, I'd rather they sit tucked away above the spare tire than dangling underneath the car exposed to the elements. Plus, it makes for a much neater install IMO.
Thanks for the post!

I think I will see if I can have the 2012 wiring installed by the installer doing my hitch. If not, I will do it myself. Subaru wants $151 for the wiring, and I can get it for $40 from etrailer.

I would likely store it inside too. I am using it for towing a camping pop up, so it will get regular use over the summer, but I won't be towing through the winter months. No reason to leave the wiring exposed to the elements for the half of year it won't be in use.

(BTW, I am also going with a 2" receiver. I already have the attachments for 2")

1 - 11 of 11 Posts