Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium Graphite w/ All Weather
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my current garage door opener with a new Chamberlain/Liftmaster garage door opener. I have read around that you have to get an adapter for cars with older versions of Homelink.

My question is, has anyone with a 2012/2013 setup their homelink mirror with a new Chamberlain opener? Did you have to get the adapter to make it work? I'd rather not have an adapter as it defeats the purpose of getting one with battery backup.

This is the one I'm looking at

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think this is only for WAY older versions of Homelink that do not support "Rolling-Code" openers. Your Subaru does.

I have mine sync'd to my two Liftmaster openers which are 2010 models and it works fine.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
My question is, has anyone with a 2012/2013 setup their homelink mirror with a new Chamberlain opener? Did you have to get the adapter to make it work? I'd rather not have an adapter as it defeats the purpose of getting one with battery backup.
Why are you worried about older versions of HomeLink if you are going to be connecting a '13 car to a new opener...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also told by a friend that has a 2011 that they couldn't get theirs to work until they got an adapter as well. (I guess I should have included that as well). I have a feeling they programmed theirs with an older one and then never reset their homelink to not be setup for older liftmasters.

Why are you worried about older versions of HomeLink if you are going to be connecting a '13 car to a new opener...?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
No problem with our 2008 Audi and the 2013 Outback with a 2012 garage door opener.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
My 2012 Outback and 2003 Infiniti Homelink mirrors work just fine with my circa 2010 Liftmaster garage door opener with battery backup.

In addition to battery back up. Have you considered the wifi enabled units? I believe there are adapters as well to retrofit some units. This way you can check on the status of your garage door from your smartphone, and open or close it if desired. My garage door opener doesn't have this capability, but I wish it did.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, low and behold, my 2013 Outback with Homelink does NOT work with my brand new garage door opener.

The garage door opener has Security+ 2.0, which I believe my 2013 SHOULD have, but it is not syncing to my remote, which means that it is using the older version of Homelink. Can any of you confirm that you are using a your homelink button with a Security+ 2.0 Garage Door Opener and NOT just a "Security+" GDO?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many times did you try it?

It took me like 30 attempts to get the homelink mirror in my in-laws Crossfire to pair with their chaimberlain opener.

It took 3 or 4 to get our Outback paired with our LiftMaster 3280.
I've tried about 10 times now with no luck. Looking around on youtube I've seen people setting it up with much much better luck, showing the remote pairing within ~4-5 seconds while pressing both buttons.

As far as your LiftMaster 3280, that device uses "Security+" which has been standard since the late 90's and up. The one I have uses "Security+ 2.0" which is where I am having the issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received an email from Subaru this morning. Looks like they will start rolling out the newer Homelink version for some 2014 and then hopefully all 2015 models.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. and I am sorry to learn that your email was prompted by your dissatisfaction with the operation of the Homelink feature in your new 2013 Subaru Outback.

We are currently working on updating our HOMELINK mirrors to work with the latest garage door openers that operate at a higher frequency than our current HOMELINK mirrors can support. We expect to have these new mirrors approved for some 2014 model year vehicles and all models by 2015 model year.

There is a device that can be purchased that allows the new garage door openers to work with our current mirrors. Please review the information found on the website I have provided to you. Once again, thank you for your email and please let me know should you have any additional concerns.

https://secure.homelink.com/homelink-repeater-kit-detail "

I talked with Homelink yesterday about it and they are sending me the repeater for $7.00 shipped. Kind of annoying that a brand new vehicle doesn't implement a technology that's several years old... but what can you do.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I had trouble getting the Homelink to work with my Chamberlain door picker uppers. My issue was that, having 3 doors, after a couple of days, ALL the doors would sync with the button I was using.

It was all resolved when I finally figured out that I needed to reset the door operator just before syncing it with the mirror button. Everything has been working fault free for a full year, now.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
I only have 1 HL on an ’06 Accord (which worked) but I’ve disabled it.<O:p</O:p
It’s some HL/GDO combo thereof. From what I’ve seen, HL isn’t exactly faultless either. Subie can only install the ‘HL std’, handshake to GDOs (who themselves have their own algorithms) is anyone’s dice roll.<O:p</O:p
Did you try diff car distances/positions? How many remotes/buttons do you have programmed? IIRC I had to clear/re-program all remotes. Do you have other GDOs (I have 2: 2-car/1-car doors)? Tried programming with one leg up?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Even though the repeater will work, it kind of defeats the purpose of having an opener with battery backup. No electricity = no repeater...Unless you put a backup battery on the repeater.

I wonder if the Homelink system can be updated?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only have 1 HL on an ’06 Accord (which worked) but I’ve disabled it.<O:p</O:p
It’s some HL/GDO combo thereof. From what I’ve seen, HL isn’t exactly faultless either. Subie can only install the ‘HL std’, handshake to GDOs (who themselves have their own algorithms) is anyone’s dice roll.<O:p</O:p
Did you try diff car distances/positions? How many remotes/buttons do you have programmed? IIRC I had to clear/re-program all remotes. Do you have other GDOs (I have 2: 2-car/1-car doors)? Tried programming with one leg up?<O:p</O:p
Gas,

I've had my HL buttons setup for my previous GDOs with no issue. It is only with the new one (Security+ 2.0, yellow learning button on the GDO) that I have had issues. The issue wasn't getting the HL button to open the garage, but it was getting the HL button to learn from the remote. I tried both openers I had available to me and neither worked. I went through the troubleshooting with HL on the phone yesterday and they came to the conclusion that I needed the repeater.

As far as the repeater goes, it's pretty annoying that I won't be able to use my HL button, but I'll keep my remote that came with the GDO in the glove box in such cases. Kind of a lame, but it will work.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Gas,

I've had my HL buttons setup for my previous GDOs with no issue. It is only with the new one (Security+ 2.0, yellow learning button on the GDO) that I have had issues. The issue wasn't getting the HL button to open the garage, but it was getting the HL button to learn from the remote. I tried both openers I had available to me and neither worked. I went through the troubleshooting with HL on the phone yesterday and they came to the conclusion that I needed the repeater.

As far as the repeater goes, it's pretty annoying that I won't be able to use my HL button, but I'll keep my remote that came with the GDO in the glove box in such cases. Kind of a lame, but it will work.
I also had no luck programming from the remote. This turned out to be a red herring........If you reset the GDO by holding the button until it indicates it reset, then just push it for the learn function, and hit the button on the mirror, let its flash thing, you are done. Then, reprogram any remotes with the learn button. It did not work the way it was in the manual.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also had no luck programming from the remote. This turned out to be a red herring........If you reset the GDO by holding the button until it indicates it reset, then just push it for the learn function, and hit the button on the mirror, let its flash thing, you are done. Then, reprogram any remotes with the learn button. It did not work the way it was in the manual.
I'll try this when I get home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts