Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this forum. I just ordered a 2013 Outback, 3.6R Limited, Moonroof Package. I initially thought that the newest iPods would re-charge while plugged into the iPod interface. However, I seem to be reading that this may not be the case... Subaru iPod Interface, Media Hub

Am I reading this wrong, or is this an old post by Subaru that only applies to older Outback models? So, if I order an iPod Nano (6th Generation), will it charge while plugged into the iPod interface of a 2013 model?

Also, is there a sound quality difference from the HK system while using the iPod as opposed to using a USB Flash Drive? Any other advantages from the iPod over the USB Flash Drive? I don't particularly care for iTunes, and if the Flash Drive sounds and works just as good, that option may be more attractive to me. Sorry if this issue has been hashed out elsewhere in these forums, but I could not find answers to my particular questions. Any thoughts anyone?

Also, if I posted this in the wrong thread, my apologies and feel free to move it. Thanks for everyone's interest in these forums. I read a whole lot in these forums before I finally ordered the 2013, and these forums were extremely helpful to me in making my ultimate decision.

Tony

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
AFAIK it should charge as long as the ignition is on. well I have 2012 Im not sure the "13. And for the flash drive I never use a flash drive, just iPAD, iPOD touch and Nano. About the sound there is no diffirence I love them both.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
FYI, if this makes things better, the HK system is designed for Apple stuff. My iPhone 4S music works flawlessly on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, if this makes things better, the HK system is designed for Apple stuff. My iPhone 4S music works flawlessly on it.
Thanks Thai. Any problems with charging the iPhone? Also, are you aware of any charging issues with the newest generations of iPods?

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Not sure about iPods, but my iPhone plays and charges at the same time using USB.

·
Registered
2013 OB Premium Twilight Blue
18 Posts
I have a 12 Legacy Premium and my Ipod Classic charges through the Usb. I think the Usb sounds better than the aux hookup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow everyone! I really appreciate your prompt responses. I guess the link to the Subaru site I cited in my original post must have applied to older model Subarus.

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Arkansas to Glacier National Park in September (about a 31 hour drive one way), and just hope the Outback has made it in by then. I was particularly wanting to load up something with all my music to help bide the time, and was torn between the USB Flash Drive and the iPod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5 Premium and have found that no matter what I do, I can't get my iPhone4 to play through the USB port if Bluetooth is enabled. I get 1-2 seconds of sound and then nothing though the display still shows the music playing. I switch over the stereo to Bluetooth audio and the music has sound however, the USB stops charging the phone. If I turn off Bluetooth on the phone, I lose the advantage of Bluetooth in the first place...handsfree calling. Needless to say, I'm very, VERY frustrated with this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5 Premium and have found that no matter what I do, I can't get my iPhone4 to play through the USB port if Bluetooth is enabled. I get 1-2 seconds of sound and then nothing though the display still shows the music playing. I switch over the stereo to Bluetooth audio and the music has sound however, the USB stops charging the phone. If I turn off Bluetooth on the phone, I lose the advantage of Bluetooth in the first place...handsfree calling. Needless to say, I'm very, VERY frustrated with this.
i just started using the usb port to play audio from my iPhone 4. i typically stream everything via bluetooth.

when i first starting using the usb port to connect to my iPhone and control the music via the HK radio i would hear a few seconds of audio and then it would go silent.

in my situation i had to change the output from bluetooth to the radio/usb port via the little button on the bottom right of the iphone screen :)

i don't know what it's called and don't have a picture - sorry!!!!

but the button/switch is only available when the iPhone is connected via bluetooth and through usb.

HTH and sorry for the vagueness!

joel

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
i just started using the usb port to play audio from my iPhone 4. i typically stream everything via bluetooth.

when i first starting using the usb port to connect to my iPhone and control the music via the HK radio i would hear a few seconds of audio and then it would go silent.

in my situation i had to change the output from bluetooth to the radio/usb port via the little button on the bottom right of the iphone screen :)

i don't know what it's called and don't have a picture - sorry!!!!

but the button/switch is only available when the iPhone is connected via bluetooth and through usb.

HTH and sorry for the vagueness!

joel
The icon is the "Airplay" icon. It looks like a rectangle (TV/Display) with a triangle pointing into it from the bottom.

The 2013 should have no problem charging an iPhone, although I don't know if it is 0.5A or 1A USB port. 0.5A is plenty for iPods and the like, and even the iPhone in most cases. For someone who uses their phone as a GPS though, you need a 1A port to keep it fully charged.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited with Wheel Arch Moldings, Interior illumination kit, rear bumper underguard, rear bumper cover, side molding kit, splash guards, moon roof + Nav system, 110V outlet.
161 Posts
Based on the speed of charging for my android I'd guess that it is 0.5A for the 2012, doubt they upgraded it for 2013, but who knows.

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
Wow everyone! I really appreciate your prompt responses. I guess the link to the Subaru site I cited in my original post must have applied to older model Subarus.

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Arkansas to Glacier National Park in September (about a 31 hour drive one way), and just hope the Outback has made it in by then. I was particularly wanting to load up something with all my music to help bide the time, and was torn between the USB Flash Drive and the iPod.
Well if you ran out of music turn on to XM/Sirius Radio,:) it comes free for 4 months to a new Subaru.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 CVT
152 Posts
I have a 12 Legacy Premium and my Ipod Classic charges through the Usb. I think the Usb sounds better than the aux hookup.
I agree -- my USB iPod Touch (3G) connection sounds much better (a fuller sound) than using the iPod through the aux hookup on a 2013 OB. Although I can't be entirely certain I think the iPod/USB combination sounds better than tunes just on a USB memory stick (aka, flash drive). I also like being able to wander through the iPod categories of artist, album, etc.

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem with pairing iPhone 4 to 2013 Outback HK system

Just bought the car. My iPhone 4 pairs fine for music, but I cannot seem to get the phone portion to work. It definitely is paired since the music works. But when I try to make a call all it says it says is PARDON, and no other commands such as PHONEBOOK work. I did enter some numbers early on when I managed to make it work by selecting PHONE ONLY on setup, but later I selected MEDIA, and now it does not see those numbers or act like it is even paired ???

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just bought the car. My iPhone 4 pairs fine for music, but I cannot seem to get the phone portion to work. It definitely is paired since the music works. But when I try to make a call all it says it says is PARDON, and no other commands such as PHONEBOOK work. I did enter some numbers early on when I managed to make it work by selecting PHONE ONLY on setup, but later I selected MEDIA, and now it does not see those numbers or act like it is even paired ???
I think there are some issues with older phones that use older versions of Bluetooth with the newer Subaru systems (and probably most cars).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts