Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
Interesting that there are no other crossovers/suvs in the bunch!

And, how did the 2013 Legacy GT get in there, when it doesn't exist? :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
It's nice to know the 13 Outback made the list, but they only tested 29 cars so it wouldn't be fair to automatically discount other crossover / SUVs (unless they were one of the 16 who failed of course) :)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
I would assume that's what he meant - can't test something that doesn't exist yet ;)

Mine is 10/12 so I'm good!

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
The main reason I just traded my 6 month old 2012 Camry for one. =]

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
After 8-12 Subaru changed the deployment time for the curtain airbag which helped it get a passing grade even though the Honda Accord had the best overall score due to their robust ACE 2 body. I believe somebody asked Subaru if the 10-12 cars can be re-programed for this and Subaru claims it is a 13 only perk.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
After 8-12 Subaru changed the deployment time for the curtain airbag which helped it get a passing grade even though the Honda Accord had the best overall score due to their robust ACE 2 body. I believe somebody asked Subaru if the 10-12 cars can be re-programed for this and Subaru claims it is a 13 only perk.
So can the pre 8-12 2013's be reprogramed?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
This just reinforces my decision to buy a MY 14 OB similar to my 13 configuration.
Very cool given this is much harsher standard to met than the DOT testing...

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
Remember this is just for Outbacks/Legacy built after 8/12 . Check your door sticker for your build date.
Mine is 8/12 - I feel like I am on the bubble. Going to email Subaru to see if there is another way to check.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
Mine is 8/12 - I feel like I am on the bubble. Going to email Subaru to see if there is another way to check.
Got a reply from Subaru.

The build dates of 8/12 and prior do not have the re-calibrated airbags and cannot be retrofitted e.g you need to have a build date on 9/12+.

Oh well.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Here is the 2013 (Legacy) offset crash test video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AReq3ZIGLmg

Edited to Add:
Anybody else think that Subaru provided a model with alloy wheels since the wheel shattered so easily in this test (which saved the wheel from going towards the cab)?

Edited to Add 2.0: After watching more offset crash videos, it looks like Subie did a good job of designing wheels meant to shatter for impacts like these. Very few other alloy wheels in the videos shatter at all which means the wheel is driven into the cab. Here is a good video to show what I mean (pay attention to the wheel):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkQA3tHFgFI

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Got a reply from Subaru.

The build dates of 8/12 and prior do not have the re-calibrated airbags and cannot be retrofitted e.g you need to have a build date on 9/12+.

Oh well.
I don't get how most can take this sitting down?
Everyone here paid good money to have the best, a new and safe 2013.
I don't buy the "Enhancement" bull, that's Subaru being lazy and screwing the early buyers.

At te very least make it a voluntary customer cost upgrade, for them to flat out deny it is pretty disheartening.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I would think it is some software adjustment to the the curtain airbag deployment time

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't get how most can take this sitting down?
Everyone here paid good money to have the best, a new and safe 2013.
I don't buy the "Enhancement" bull, that's Subaru being lazy and screwing the early buyers.

At te very least make it a voluntary customer cost upgrade, for them to flat out deny it is pretty disheartening.
If you feel really strongly about it, and are willing to pay, look into doing a trade in. The change probably requires swapping out the central airbag control unit, and every airbag in the car. Subaru probably certifies an entire system, and a software upgrade may not work with the existing airbag units. That is going to be quite expensive, and honestly I'm not sure I want some one monkeying with the airbag system.

Remember that the Outback was already a TSP car before this test was introduced. They added the new test, and Subaru did a tweak to do better in that one specific scenario.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts