Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

New Subaru owner and love the car - all 150 miles I have put on it. I just called the dealer to check on getting a compartment separator for it so I can put my dog in back. I was OK with 335 for the device, but was not OK with the "plus 2 hours labor" for putting the attachments into the ceiling etc. - and it is a permanent installation:gasp:. I had not even begun to think this was would be a one way installation:confused: , but the dealer was adamant, which would take away the flexibility of having all that cargo space available for large items etc.

So I do not want anything that is permanent. Can I ask the experienced ones here for alternative suggestions, other than letting the dog roam which is fine until we have a crash? Bad for all on board with no restraining device.

Great car all in all

Thanks - Rory
[email protected]

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
My doberman often wears this sort of thing hooked to the rear tie down in the back.
Image Detail for - dog_restraint

He doesn't need it to stay in the back more of safety to keep him in the car if we have a bad wreck. He's trained to stay in his bed which goes with him when he is in the car.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
As for space? Think layers - heavy stuff on the floor dog bed ontop with dog. Our dog when packed in the back with everything else often can't be seen out side of his ears sticking up among all the other crap. The more packed in ie wedged in he is the more happy he is all 75lbs of him.

Our big trip in July with the Sequoia 4 adults - 2 kids food for a week - all the other crap + 16foot canoe. Only way he could get into his spot was with the rear hatch window rolled down and being picked up so he could crawl in and wedge him self into his bed. LOL You could say he knows the drill.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
41 Posts
I have been using the Pet Ego Walky Car barrier as recommended by other board members. My Yellow Lab doesn't mind it and it is easy in and out. it mounts quite well to the rear headrest posts with 2 clamps. i purchased 2 extra thinking i would want a sturdier install but i haven't used the extras.

This and the subaru seatback protectors end up costing much less than the subaru cage. the dog can still stick his snout through but but he can't get through.

Here is a link.

Petego.com - Walky Guard Car Barrier

-Mike

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
Our pet/cargo barrier was factory-installed so we did not have to pay extra for installation. But, I think one could install it himself; check with SubaruOnlineParts.com.

The sturdy barrier works well and is easy to remove/reinstall as it's secured by 6 big plastic knobs. Only the mount points are permanent, and they are not in the way of most cargo items.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Why is there a need for a barrier? I expect a dog will obey the owner and ride in the area behind the rear seat backs. Rest of the car is off-limits.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Why is there a need for a barrier? I expect a will dog obey the owner and ride in the area behind the rear seat backs. Rest of the car is off-limits.
If you have big dogs and have to apply the brakes suddenly when the dog is standing up you will be able to instantly repremand them for leaving the rear area as they will be in the front seat with you.;)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If you have big dogs and have to apply the brakes suddenly when the dog is standing up you will be able to instantly repremand them for leaving the rear area as they will be in the front seat with you.;)
Which is why a smart owner straps the dog down. A barrier by the way doesn not keep them in the car if your in a bad accident a doggie seat belt does

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Hello

New Subaru owner and love the car - all 150 miles I have put on it. I just called the dealer to check on getting a compartment separator for it so I can put my dog in back. I was OK with 335 for the device, but was not OK with the "plus 2 hours labor" for putting the attachments into the ceiling etc. - and it is a permanent installation:gasp:. I had not even begun to think this was would be a one way installation:confused: , but the dealer was adamant, which would take away the flexibility of having all that cargo space available for large items etc.

So I do not want anything that is permanent. Can I ask the experienced ones here for alternative suggestions, other than letting the dog roam which is fine until we have a crash? Bad for all on board with no restraining device.

Great car all in all

Thanks - Rory
[email protected]
Your dealer is FOS. It is not a permanent installation. There are two hand tightened "thumb wheel' screws that replace the two tie down screws behind the seats on the wheel wells and two small machine screws that mount into provided clips in the carseat attachments in the ceiling.

Initial install on a bad day---20 minutes taking into account being unfamilliar with the parts/assembly and the bad instructions provided.

Removal--5 minutes.The barrier is removed intact.

Reinstall--7 minutes. Requires only the aforementioned 4 screws. The extra two minutes are to line up the screws in the ceiling --1 minute extra for each.:)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This chatter reminds me of what some cops do when they are transporting prisoners in the back seat of a Crown Victoria. A troublesome prisoner could be subjected to sudden stop as the officer avoids a "hazard" in the roadway.
The sudden stop catapults the head of the prisoner into the steal cage that separates the front and rear of patrol cars. Ooops, sorry about that.

·
Registered
Jeep Wrangler
1 Posts
I have the Subaru dog barrier and it acts as a crate for keeping my dog in the rear. I train in dog sport twice a week and it takes about 4-5 hours to allow each dog their turn each training day. With the barrier I am able to leave my dog in the car with the windows down between exercises knowing he is safe and comfortable. There are crates that open from the center instead of the end and are under $100 which would Steve a similar purpose.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I have a collapsible dog crate that can be strapped down for longer trips. If we're just going to PetSmart or the vet we use a seat belt strap that attaches to her harness. We also have a seat cover that keeps dog hair and stuff off the seat. We want to be sure our pup is as safe as possible (and us as well) if we're involved in an accident.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
Your dealer is FOS. It is not a permanent installation. There are two hand tightened "thumb wheel' screws that replace the two tie down screws behind the seats on the wheel wells and two small machine screws that mount into provided clips in the carseat attachments in the ceiling.

Initial install on a bad day---20 minutes taking into account being unfamilliar with the parts/assembly and the bad instructions provided.

Removal--5 minutes.The barrier is removed intact.

Reinstall--7 minutes. Requires only the aforementioned 4 screws. The extra two minutes are to line up the screws in the ceiling --1 minute extra for each.:)
This ^^^

I got the Subaru barrier when I bought the car. It's by far the sturdiest you can get and it's easy to take out and reinstall. It's worth the $$ in my opinion!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the Subaru barrier as well. Had a universal fit in the CX7 we had previously; it was ok but needed adjustment every so often.

Subaru barrier brackets bolt in and the cage attached with large handle knobs. Installed by myself in the driveway in less than an hour. Very sturdy and fit wells.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts
This chatter reminds me of what some cops do when they are transporting prisoners in the back seat of a Crown Victoria. A troublesome prisoner could be subjected to sudden stop as the officer avoids a "hazard" in the roadway.
The sudden stop catapults the head of the prisoner into the steal cage that separates the front and rear of patrol cars. Ooops, sorry about that.
...now that is what I call justice...lol. I would not however even do that with my dogs in the back even though we seatbelt ours in in the car. I am always very concious of how I drive when we have our "kids" in the back. :29:

In case you are wondering...the colored nails are actually caps put over the nail to protect our hardwood floors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts
What! No love for butterscotch??;)
I take it you mean the little guy on the right. His name is Cobalt because he has blue eyes. He is only 4 months old and his nails are tiny and he is only about 8 pounds. He is too wiggly to try putting those things on him yet. That combined with the fur on his feet keeps the nails off the floor...but he will get the love too. Wouldn't want him to feel left out. :29:

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
One thing I do, that is easy and free:

When you load your dog, keep a leash on them. After you have them in the back, keep a hold of the leach as you close the hatch. You want to have a few inches sticking out after you close the hatch. Being caught in the door, that will limit how much they can roam around inside the car, and you have leach in hand before you open up the car. That can be handy with more energetic dogs.

It's cheap and easy, but a good dog harness is still the best. You should be able to find them at a major pet supply store.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts