Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key gets stuck sometimes, without regard to whether car is on hill or flat, or whether the wheel is turned or not. The problem is maddening, especially if you're in a hurry. The video,
, has a method to fix this on an older Outback. Is there a similar way to fix the 2013? I am looking to solve this problem permanently without having to take the shifter assembly apart. I assume there is a wire going from the shifter to the ignition that can be cut or have power applied as needed, using a toggle switch, perhaps. Any help on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've done this on two of my three Subarus (2015 & 2016 Outbacks). If the 2013 is similar, try this...Unscrew the lower plastic shield of the steering column...rotate the steering wheel to reach two of the screws...drop the shield and locate a plug that goes to the ignition switch...mine were both white plugs if I remember correctly...disconnect the plug, and tape the ends to prevent any possible contact with the wired connectors...tape the loose plug ends into place so they don't rattle around, and replace the column shield...be advised your key can now be removed in any position of the shifter, and the warning chime will not sound when the key is left in the ignition...but your key will not get stuck again...and it is a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the shifter mechanism...good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have tried disconnecting both plugs that I see going to the ignition switch. However, the problem still occurred. One that I took out would result in the car not being able to start. The other seemed to have no effect. I will try your suggestions again tonight to confirm when my wife brings the car home. Will also take pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drop the shield and locate a plug that goes to the ignition switch...mine were both white plugs if I remember correctly...disconnect the plug
beltrunner, thanks for your answer. I tried the plugs again and it seems to work. Car starts fine and key comes out . There seems to be too many wires for it just to be the shifter switch, so I wonder what else has been disconnected. I'll post in a few days if the problem is corrected or not.

Plug1.jpg
Plug2.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving for a week now with no more problems! Thank you! ...and I haven't pulled the key out of the ignition while I am driving. Guess that means I am smarter than auto manufacturers expect me to be or they wouldn't have made that feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts