Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the owner of a new 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, having owned it for almost 8 weeks and 820 miles now. I love the car, but am having an issue that's becoming increasingly annoying. I'm experiencing a "chirping/squeaking" sound that I believe is suspension or shock related (although I could be completely and totally wrong . . . ). I'm interested in hearing if there are any thoughts about the potential cause. The "chirping/squeaking" sound is evident only while the car is being driven, not at idle. It is not reactive to engine revs, but is reactive to road imperfections and bumps. It's always evident when the car is being driven, with the afore-mentioned reactions to bumps and road surfaces. It seems to get worse the longer the car is driven. Strangely, if the car is driven for a bit and I park it, bounce the car up and down by pushing on the rear bumper, I hear a creaking squeak from the suspension (or shocks?). Any folks have any thoughts on what the cause might be or has anyone experienced this themselves? I'm bringing it into service next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same complain, but for a 2013 forester. I brought it to the dealer twice. First time i was told it could not be replicated (i think they greased up the bushings). The second time i was told it was cold weather. Huh? Maybe the quality of the 2013 is not up to par with comercials.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
890 Posts
I have the same complain, but for a 2013 forester. I brought it to the dealer twice. First time i was told it could not be replicated (i think they greased up the bushings). The second time i was told it was cold weather. Huh? Maybe the quality of the 2013 is not up to par with comercials.
Greased up the bushings? lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
I've been having the same problem for a while and it seems to be worse this year. The noise is intermittent but happens more when it is cold or wet, and this winter (in Minnesota) it definitely gets worse as the temperature drops. It sounds like a bushing squeak but I can't pinpoint it. I took it into the dealer last year to report the problem but they couldn't replicate it, either. I'm going in for an oil change soon and will have the dealer look at it again.

I saw that the 2012 Outback has a recall for the coil springs being "slightly larger than normal" which resulted in a squeak. Maybe it's a repeat?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I suspect the front sway bar bushings. They are heavily exercised when going over bumps. Easy to pull the bushing and replace or lube it to see if the sound goes away/changes.

One bolt.

Common problem on my 2008 Tribeca.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
31 Posts
I suspect the front sway bar bushings....
The dealer agreed that the problem was faulty sway bar bushings, which they replaced. Although it fixed the main, loud squeak/creak/scrape sound that it would make on a rough road or over bumps, there is now another squeak. It may have been there before but was drowned out by the other, much louder sound. The new squeak is quieter, practically impossible to pinpoint, but doesn't require a rough road. Just normal movement of the car causes this new squeak.

I'll let the temperature and weather change a bit to see if it makes a difference with the new noise. I'm disappointed that it took two trips to the dealer and a third for the repair and it still didn't completely fix the noisy suspension.

I normally have faith in Subaru, but this makes two back-to-back relatively young cars that have had (different) problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm the owner of a new 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, having owned it for almost 8 weeks and 820 miles now. I love the car, but am having an issue that's becoming increasingly annoying. I'm experiencing a "chirping/squeaking" sound that I believe is suspension or shock related (although I could be completely and totally wrong . . . ). I'm interested in hearing if there are any thoughts about the potential cause. The "chirping/squeaking" sound is evident only while the car is being driven, not at idle. It is not reactive to engine revs, but is reactive to road imperfections and bumps. It's always evident when the car is being driven, with the afore-mentioned reactions to bumps and road surfaces. It seems to get worse the longer the car is driven. Strangely, if the car is driven for a bit and I park it, bounce the car up and down by pushing on the rear bumper, I hear a creaking squeak from the suspension (or shocks?). Any folks have any thoughts on what the cause might be or has anyone experienced this themselves? I'm bringing it into service next week.
Well in have the same squawking/ rattle from the rear of my 2013 outback as well. Doesn't appear until the car has done a few kilometres then it starts over every bump in the road.
The dealer has heard the noise and have replaced both rear struts greased sway bars bushes and all suspension joints and it hasn't made bit of difference. Still squawking!
Now they have informed me Subaru do not cover squawking and rattles under warranty so your on your own to explore further could mean many labour dollars.
Has anyone thought to try lubricating the Fuel Tank strap mountings and if so has that a fix? Something is there somewhere?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whitey

Well in have the same squawking/ rattle from the rear of my 2013 outback as well. Doesn't appear until the car has done a few kilometres then it starts over every bump in the road.
The dealer has heard the noise and have replaced both rear struts greased sway bars bushes and all suspension joints and it hasn't made bit of difference. Still squawking!
Now they have informed me Subaru do not cover squawking and rattles under warranty so your on your own to explore further could mean many labour dollars.
Has anyone thought to try lubricating the Fuel Tank strap mountings and if so has that a fix? Something is there somewhere?

Very frustrating noises. let me know if had a fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts