Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks- I hear a rattle coming behind on my 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited. The car is less than a week old, and it has nothing but me in the car :) Not even a plastic cup.
I hear the rattle on some rough roads (not bumpy or bad though), and I know for sure it is coming from the back..
Anyone with any ideas/suggestions/potential rattle points?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Check the middle seatbelt, cargo cover, tie down loops, etc. to make sure that they are tightly secured.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
74 Posts
Folks- I hear a rattle coming behind on my 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited. The car is less than a week old, and it has nothing but me in the car :) Not even a plastic cup.
I hear the rattle on some rough roads (not bumpy or bad though), and I know for sure it is coming from the back..

Thanks.
My 2013 OB has click sound over uneven surface, not sure if that's the same sound you have. I suggest you taking out everything in the cargo area, i.e., cargo cover, tools, other stuff etc. Make sure the rear hatch is closed, license plate is not shaking. Then drive again, if you still hear it, you probably need to contact your dealer.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
The center seat shoulder harness retracts into the headliner, over the cargo area. If the end is not stored correctly, it will drive you nuts.

I had no idea what the arrangement for the center seat included a shoulder belt, until I tracked down the rattle. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Do you store your rear argo cover under the truck floor? If yes, it is almost certain it is coming from that.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Folks, thanks. I am going to try these tomorrow.
Also, I hear some weird sound, like a knocking sound, not a rattle, coming from around the center console area. Not sure what it is. Not sure if it is from the a/c.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
I hear a rattle from somewhere on the passenger side while going down a rough road. I tried reaching over and pressing on some panels while going but I didn't hit the right one. Ultimately I am OK with it since it is only doing it on that unpaved road I go use once a week.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
74 Posts
Problem solved

The click/knocking sound i had on my OB has gone! The culprit is the tailgate latch. While being closed, it's not tight enough. When on bumpy road, the striker (metal loop on the bottom) will be touching the latch. It's hard to find out, because once you shut the tailgate, you can't tell if it's loose or tight. I spent sometime in the cargo area and had someone driving on rough roads and pinpointed the sound source. Had someone at the dealership adjust the striker a bit and the sound disappeared.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I isolated one noise to the passenger seatbelt. One to the other very minor things.
But, my Outback is way more quite than my rattle-mouth Honda Civic :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Outback has had a persistent rattle in the tailgate. Finally they isolated it to the wiring for the high-mounted stop light. They fixed it... for two months. Hit a bumpy road and it is back. Back to Fort Wayne Subaru. Hopefully they will fix it permanently this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks.
I heard a rattle in the back as well. I traced it to my cargo cover.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
If you have sunglasses in the sun glass holder, they will rattle, I even thought it was coming from a different part of the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts