Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2013 OB for 2 months now and am extremely frustrated with getting directions to my home by turning off the street I live on that changed to no exit 4-5 years ago. I was told that map updates are free simple/eazy with the new SD card. I downloaded the Naviextra toolbox 1 day after I picked it up and I am still without an update. I have invested 6 trips to the dealer, 4 (>30 minute hold time) phone calls to Subaru and 2 (>30 minute hold time) customer support:confused: from nav software and still no success. :gasp: The main issue is that I cannot get the (app) to recognize that the device (SD card) is inserted. I have tried my desktop w/usb card reader and my 2 month old laptop (w/built in SD slot) and it happens on both. I do get this annoying message that I have to alter some settings on my computer but I have had 3 different techs unable to make sense of what this program wants me to do.:eek: I have been told by Subaru that its the fault of MY equipment. It's very frustrating that I can go and buy a $100 dashmounted-blockingmyview portable navigation system that my 82 year-old Mom can get updates for. I love the 1st Subaru I have ever owned, but miss the auto update after-market models I that I can get for 1/2 the price. Anybody else have better results? or should I maybe try to invest $37k elsewhere. At least The $400 2-way remote start I put in is working flawlessly

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi. I would like to try the update. Can you post the link to the naviextra toolbox and where the current maps are? I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but the image they show for the Subaru NAV system does not look anything like what came in my Outback.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tombam, don't feel too bad ...
I have a 2-3 years old cheap navigation "dashmounted-blockingmyview portable navigation system" which comes with free updates. The updates work perfectly and they are very easy to get ... but I never found any updates for it.
On my Ltd. Tundra, the navigation system comes w/ DVD and could never get updates for it.
Nobody will keep giving us free updates because nobody works for free. Either you have to buy some expensive stuff w/ subscription, which I don't even know if it exists anymore or you have to keep replacing your navigation system (therefore the car). In Edmonton, Alberta, they keep building a highway every other week, so it impacts me a lot, but in fact it doesn't ... since I live here I know what they are working on ... I need my navigation system to work in big cities ... we went to Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, etc and of course they don't change streets that often there.
Your other option would be to buy some Korean Kia or Hyundai and they come with better gadgets. Let's be honest, we all agree that Subaru doesn't have all their electronic gadgets in a row, but they build a pretty good car.
Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just ejected my SD card following the procedure outlined in the nav system owner manual.. I found the map version to be: 2011 Q3. So, it doesn't appear that mine are 4 years old - more like 1 year old.

The Naviextras software does not see this SD card when I load it into the SD slot in my laptop. The SD card is viewable using explorer on my laptop. I'll hypothesis that the Navieextras software hasn't been updated to recognized the 2013 nave system yet.

Since my maps appear to be reasonably up to date, I'm going to stand down on doing anything else on this for now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have owned my 2013 OB for 2 months now and am extremely frustrated with getting directions to my home by turning off the street I live on that changed to no exit 4-5 years ago.
Garmin's maps update every three months, but that doesn't mean that every flaw in the database gets corrected. I just checked the new Garmin maps for North America and they don't show three major chain stores that have been around for two years or more, including the new Apple Store. The street I live on has been a through route for eight years, but only last year was it corrected to show as not a dead end. It is a little frustrating.

I assume that you know how to navigate your neighborhood, so why are you trying to route right to your doorstep?

I strongly recommend that you change your "Home" waypoint to a location a little way from your house, in a place that the system recognizes properly. You should NOT use your house for Home anyway, since it just directs a carjacker straight to the rest of your valuable stuff, and he can use the garage door opener to drive straight in to the loot. Your neighbor's will just think - "Why, there's Harry and Alice, they are home from their trip a little early..."

A gps is an aid to navigation, not a crutch. Don't rely on it too heavily. Chill out ;)

BTW: Garmin has an online form that allows you to "Report an Error". It is a real PITA to use, but you might be able to get through it. Maybe the Subaru site has something similar.

BTW2: I will never ever buy a factory nav system in a new car. I got stuck with one in a used car (Acura TL) and I hate it..... I'll take a medium to high end Garmin unit like the Nuvi 2595 LMT any day. If you have a $250 device that you despise, you can easily sell it and get a better one. You are stuck with the in-dash factory nav system forever, or until it dies. It's a stupid stupid design!!!!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are a few thing about SD cards & software programing...
Lower capicity cards 2gb or less can be formatted with "FATT16"
Large capicity cards 4gb+ are formatted with "FATT32" or a variant.

Many older devices or firmware was not compatible with big cards/drives.

Best I can offer, good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is Subaru's defense for all electronic issues. They blame it on everyone else but themselves. Nothing new about this unfortunate tactic. Owning up to a problem is a better way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I strongly recommend that you change your "Home" waypoint to a location a little way from your house, in a place that the system recognizes properly. You should NOT use your house for Home anyway, since it just directs a carjacker straight to the rest of your valuable stuff, and he can use the garage door opener to drive straight in to the loot. Your neighbor's will just think - "Why, there's Harry and Alice, they are home from their trip a little early..."

I don't really think this is an issue unless you keep your glovebox locked. There are plenty other documents that I'm required to have in my vehicle (such as a registration and proof of insurance) that would tell a carjacker where to go. Luckily for me, my OB is owned by my company so that really won't get a carjacker anywhere. But, for most others, having you home address set up in your navi isn't really the end of the earth.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just ejected my SD card following the procedure outlined in the nav system owner manual.. I found the map version to be: 2011 Q3. So, it doesn't appear that mine are 4 years old - more like 1 year old.

The Naviextras software does not see this SD card when I load it into the SD slot in my laptop. The SD card is viewable using explorer on my laptop. I'll hypothesis that the Navieextras software hasn't been updated to recognized the 2013 nave system yet.

Since my maps appear to be reasonably up to date, I'm going to stand down on doing anything else on this for now.
Just downloaded the Subaru Navieextras application and could not get it to recognize the card from the Outback (2011 Q3). I tried using a built in card reader and a separate Lexar USB reader.

Has anyone gotten the update to work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the Naviextras to read my card and would allow for updates - but didn't pay yet as I'm waiting to see if the AHA upgrade includes new maps. I'm also going to let my dealer know that I'm not pleased that when I bought my car it had year old map data in it. I had to buy a new card reader since my laptop wouldn't read the card - probably because it is SDHC, and not all readers support SDHC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mathwiz, which card reader did you buy? My computer could read the card fine using my Lexar and it is marked as USB 2.0, but the software couldn't find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is interesting. My computer couldn't read the card at all - either in the software or with Windows. I would think that if your computer can see the card just fine, the software would read it too. Either way, I bought a Transcend RDP5 USB2.0 card reader from NewEgg - was $9. It worked just fine. Also, just to make sure, here is the software version of the Naviextras Subaru Toolbox I have installed. Version 3.14.0.1803 Configuration: 3.411d.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
199 Posts
That is interesting. My computer couldn't read the card at all - either in the software or with Windows. I would think that if your computer can see the card just fine, the software would read it too. Either way, I bought a Transcend RDP5 USB2.0 card reader from NewEgg - was $9. It worked just fine. Also, just to make sure, here is the software version of the Naviextras Subaru Toolbox I have installed. Version 3.14.0.1803 Configuration: 3.411d.

Hope this helps!
That's the same version I have. Since the card is recognized by Windows 7, I don't think it makes sense to try another reader. It may be a driver issue. Maybe I'll try to borrow another computer. I would like to backup the current card whether or not I update the maps.

Thanks anyway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
Sequoia225
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing