Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2.5 Premium for about 6 weeks now and so far I've been disappointed in the gas mileage. :(

On the highway it's around what I'd expect -- I seem to be getting 28mpg or so.

However, in the 'city' I'm turning in numbers around 16 mpg. This is mostly for short trips to work, grocery store, school, etc. It's stop and go driving but not sitting in traffic at all. There are probably lights or a stop sign every quarter to 1 mile. I was hoping for at least something near the 24 listed by the EPA.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing? Could there be something wrong with the car? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious wrong with the engine and highway is OK which suggests no problems.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You should be getting in the mid 20's, as long as you are not heavy on the pedal and have trips that are more than about 3 miles. Those short 1 mile trips when the car is cold really hurts the gas mileage. I have a 2010 OB and average about 25 in mixed urban driving and in the mid/high 30's for cross country trips.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How many miles do you have so far? Mine is a '12 so it's not an apples to apples comparison per se but the Outback is a heavier vehicle with a smaller engine so the way you drive it is going to affect your mileage.

Where are your revs when accelerating? If you're seeing them up in the 4k range you're simply driving it a little too hard and need to slow it down a bit.

Do you stow the cross bars or keep them out?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be getting in the mid 20's, as long as you are not heavy on the pedal and have trips that are more than about 3 miles. Those short 1 mile trips when the car is cold really hurts the gas mileage. I have a 2010 OB and average about 25 in mixed urban driving and in the mid/high 30's for cross country trips.
I'd say most trips are about 3 miles -- park, shop, get kids, etc -- then 3 miles back home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles do you have so far? Mine is a '12 so it's not an apples to apples comparison per se but the Outback is a heavier vehicle with a smaller engine so the way you drive it is going to affect your mileage.

Where are your revs when accelerating? If you're seeing them up in the 4k range you're simply driving it a little too hard and need to slow it down a bit.

Do you stow the cross bars or keep them out?
The car has about 1,300 miles on it. The cross bars are stowed and I'm definitely no lead-foot. In fact, I've been trying to drive like an old lady since the mileage has been so poor.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'd say most trips are about 3 miles -- park, shop, get kids, etc -- then 3 miles back home.
Thats the worst possible use of any car besides electric if you want good mileage. 3 miles will not warm up the car enough to get it running at the most fuel efficient mode - and the stop and go for three miles via drop off at school the school parking lot disaster etc is all working against you.

I do the two kid daycare run every day its a 40 minute round trip twice a day running about 180 miles a week in semi rural area with one decent hill and a few stop signs and some traffic the OB couldn't break 21mpg for the first 15,000 miles then it started getting around 23-24mpg after it had 15,000 on it. Now with 40,000 miles it gets a solid 24 -25mpg doing the same exact daycare run all week.

Once winter arrives your 3 mile run will probably see even worse mileage given when the cars are cold they run rich to get the emissions system heated up as fast as possible. This means even worse mileage paired with the winter blend fuels which get worse mileage also.

In effect your very short 3 mile loop every morning is the worst possible situation for any gas or diesel car period. The Nissan Leaf would have been ideal!

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have had our 2013 2.5i since 8/14/12. We have used a little over 1/2 tank of fuel (first fill-up). We have about 275 miles mostly around town. Our MPG indicator is reading 24.9 as of this morning.

I have to admit, as I'm driving I try my best to keep the little MPG indicator bar in the green range. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm still under 500 miles on mine, and I'm getting around 25 mpg so far. It is a bit low, but I have yet to really get any good highway use out of it. Every time I've taken it onto the freeway, it has been during rush hour traffic that does 20-30 mph at best with random sudden stops.

But I agree that short trips are about the worst situation you can put a car through if you are trying to get good gas mileage. It's also where a car like the Prius shines. On my 2001, my worst tank was about 16mpg, and the best was 30mpg. I would not be surprised to see a large gap on the 2013 as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I considered a Prius or Leaf, but I wanted an AWD car for winters and also wanted something we could pack a bunch of gear in and go on the occasional long trip. We drive so few miles each year that buying something mainly for low gas mileage didn't make much sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you resetting your trip meter? When you reset your trip meter - it resets the MPG calculation on the computer - therefore, if you filled up your tank, reset the meter, then only drove a few miles - either up hills, with high revs, etc - the MPG figure will be low. However, the more miles your put on before your reset the trip meter things usually average out. In other words, it is mathematics - things will average out once you rack up the miles before resetting the trip meter at your next fill up.
After I fill up and reset my meter - if I drive very conservative for the first few miles the MPG computer can go over 40 MPG for a few miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
2013 premium. I've had 3 fill-ups so far: 26.8, 27.9, and 28.6 - real world calculation. Middle one was mostly highway. I've been using the paddle shifters to vary engine speed. Just passed 1000 miles, so I expect the mileage to go up as I let the CVT do the work. 12 mile round trip to work: mile then stoplight, mile then stoplight for 8 miles, then 2 miles freeway, then 2 miles stop and go. I drive pretty conservatively, but get on it occasionally to make lights. Currently at 31.8 per trip computer - usually about 1 mpg over real calculation

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just averaged 30.7 mpg from Indianapolis to the eastern part of the state 75% I70 driving and the other 25% on state hwy's. Going from there to central KY at Mammoth Cave NP mixed I65 and then state hwy and country roads I averaged around 29.7. Overall trip came in about 29.0 once we figured in the trip back which was more uphill. I have heard on some subaru forums that the reason why your scheduled maint interval has the first at 3750 miles is that subaru puts molybednum white grease around the pistons and the synthetic oil slowly removes that and then the white moly ends up in the oil pan as a foamy residue. Once the first oil change is done the grease is gone (or practically gone). I have heard after that point they get a little better mileage. I assume that the moly is used on the drivetrain due to the fact that the engines and transmissions along with the drive system parts are shipped to Lafayette from Japan without oil in them and just have the moly grease in them to prevent seizing (not sure if this is true, but makes sense). In any case I have heard that even though the dealer says that OB's dont require break-in, they do seem to get better mileage once you get your first oil change. My 2013 OB has around 1200 miles on it after the trip to Mammoth Cave. No real big hill climbs but some gradual ones though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you resetting your trip meter? When you reset your trip meter - it resets the MPG calculation on the computer - therefore, if you filled up your tank, reset the meter, then only drove a few miles - either up hills, with high revs, etc - the MPG figure will be low. However, the more miles your put on before your reset the trip meter things usually average out. In other words, it is mathematics - things will average out once you rack up the miles before resetting the trip meter at your next fill up.
After I fill up and reset my meter - if I drive very conservative for the first few miles the MPG computer can go over 40 MPG for a few miles.
I'm basing my gas mileage on the number of miles driven and how many gallons I put in the tank. I don't pay much attention to the trip meter. I can start to look at it more but my assumption has been that it's somewhat inaccurate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My '13 is approaching 2000 miles, about half of which were trips under 3 miles, all stop and go. I was getting lower 20s during the weeks that I only made shorter trips. About 3 weeks ago, however, I noticed the mileage improving and I'm getting mid- to upper- 20s. Maybe yours is still breaking in.

Also, you should check the cargo area to make sure it's not full of hookers. That happened to a friend of mine and his mileage was almost as bad as your average SUV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know you mentioned that you're not sitting in traffic a lot but do you have the car running for periods of time while not moving (ex. waiting in the parking lot to pick up kids, running a quick errand w/ friends/kids in the car w/ the AC on, etc.). The 0 mpg you're getting while not moving combined w/ what others are saying will negatively effect your number.

·
Registered
66 Posts
approaching 1000 miles on my '13... with two tanks calculated i'm averaging 23.5 around the city... i compared my calculations to the car's calculations and found the car to be innacurate on the high side... 16mpg seems real low.. i'd call your dealer...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here is your situation. Your engine is staying in open loop mode and might just start to go into closed loop mode. That will kill mileage. What does open and closed loop mean?
It means the sensors are not warm enough to provide reliable information to the ECU so the ECU uses look up tables which are guesses based on crude reading from some engine sensors.
Once warmed up the ECU will switch over to closed loop where the engine is able to use all that sensor information and refine your engine parameters like timing, fuel input, etc to get the best performance/economy possible.
I hate to tell you this but when it gets colder your mileage will likely drop even more.
Hopefully as your engine breaks in your mileage will improve.
My wife drives this same distance and her mpg is always bad given the fact that the engine never gets to warm up. This is considered severe conditions too by the way so shorter oil change intervals are warranted...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am happy to say we are getting great gas mileage, purchased our 2.5 Limited SAP in Akron OH on the 22 of Aug. We drove across the country and varied the speed for the first thousand miles. After the break in period we averaged 32.7 doing mainly 60 on two lane flat roads and highways. We even got 38 mpg (measured by fill up) from Truth or Consequences to Phoenix, AZ. We are surprised, I found the trip computer to be pretty accurate>

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
31 Participants
fun2drive
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing