Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After asking about the NAV system in my 2013 Outback Limited, I got this email reply from Subaru today:

"Your 2013 Outback is not equipped with a Kenwood navigation system. There was a change in navigation system provider for the 2013 Outback models. It is now Fujitsu Ten product specifically designed for Subaru vehicles. There is no model number for the navigation system, as it is built specifically for your 2013 Outback."

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Fujitsu Ten is a parent company of the aftermarket company Eclipse, and the OEM supplier for Toyota. At one point they partnered with TomTom for navigation on the Eclipse units.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5l Limitied Satin White w/SAP
3 Posts
I got into my 2013 nav card last night and found that the model it gives is ft-gavn12, so I assumes they changed it to fujitsu. Also it appears the maps are either iGO or Mio based .fbl format.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The search for a hack shall commence.

·
Premium Member
2011 Silver Outback 2.5i Limited, NAV.
305 Posts
I believe the 2012 Impreza has the same or similar unit. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
One of the options on the screen is Aux, I'm sure curious what and how are options are of using that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's for the "Aux" input in the center console box. For example, you can plug an MP3 player into that.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Fujitsu Ten is a parent company of the aftermarket company Eclipse, and the OEM supplier for Toyota. At one point they partnered with TomTom for navigation on the Eclipse units.
I had that combination on my 2009 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Nissan
Biggest problem--no support from either Toyota or Eclipse. Was useful only as a pop-up handheld GPS unit.
It function well, but being a 3.5" screen in the middle of the dash, it was hard to see. I like to see the map, as well as use the turn by turn. Trusting that the integrated system is much better, and with a much larger screen, I suspect that it will be fine. Personally, I prefer a separate (Garmin) nav setup.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
That's for the "Aux" input in the center console box. For example, you can plug an MP3 player into that.
**** it, the picture shows AV cables so I had my hopes up and forgot about that dang thing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be nice to have a USB port in the dash to make using a thumb drive more convenient.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
It would be nice to have a USB port in the dash to make using a thumb drive more convenient.
For me, i use my iPhone as NAV...so, i bought a long USB cable. My iPhone holder is on the top of the dash.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
For me, i use my iPhone as NAV...so, i bought a long USB cable. My iPhone holder is on the top of the dash.
I use my iphone as nav for work, but when i am on a trip in unfamiliar territory, there is no substitute for a "real" GPS. No cell signal required and much easier to follow . Also, my iphone seems to lag my actual position in many areas I travel causing me to miss turns. I guess if you have the TomTom software for the iphone, it may be different.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I use my iphone as nav for work, but when i am on a trip in unfamiliar territory, there is no substitute for a "real" GPS. No cell signal required and much easier to follow . Also, my iphone seems to lag my actual position in many areas I travel causing me to miss turns. I guess if you have the TomTom software for the iphone, it may be different.
I have Garmin on my iPhone. I also have Garmin handheld GPS. I also have OEM NAVI in my minivan and Prius. For me, the Garmin handheld is the worst because it takes forever to lock onto the location when starting up. The iPhone signal is locked very fast. And since Garmin database is loaded into my iPhone (2gb), there is no problem with signal strength.

Not sure what iOS 6 brings, but if the iOS NAVI is good, then i think that this beats out any OEM navigation system simply because it is far more up to date (like Google NAVI on Android). No contest in this regard. And the fact that iPhone locks onto location very quickly, i don't see much advantage other than the bigger screen on OEM navi. As for signal strength, i think that iPhone navigation uses 2G or something very basic to get GPS signal. In other words, unless you're in the jungle far far away from civilization, your iPhone GPS should work just fine!

And for me, i rather miss a turn than not have a location at all due to outdated data! Most of the time, OEM NAVI are grossly outdated by a year or so by the time it reaches your hand (via DVD or card). I gave up on getting new DVD for my Sienna and Prius because it was just so outdated even with the updated discs. The big screen is nice for sure...but i was buying these options because of the rearview camera (i have toddlers) and phone book options rather than the navigation itself. Manufacturers are learning this and are finally separating the two out. So, when Subaru offered rearview mirror with camera, i jumped at it bypassing the NAVI option altogether!! (Lexus is the worst! They ONLY offer their top of the line Mark Levinson audio with NAVI...i hate that!)

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I have Garmin on my iPhone. I also have Garmin handheld GPS. I also have OEM NAVI in my minivan and Prius. For me, the Garmin handheld is the worst because it takes forever to lock onto the location when starting up. The iPhone signal is locked very fast. And since Garmin database is loaded into my iPhone (2gb), there is no problem with signal strength.

Not sure what iOS 6 brings, but if the iOS NAVI is good, then i think that this beats out any OEM navigation system simply because it is far more up to date (like Google NAVI on Android). No contest in this regard. And the fact that iPhone locks onto location very quickly, i don't see much advantage other than the bigger screen on OEM navi. As for signal strength, i think that iPhone navigation uses 2G or something very basic to get GPS signal. In other words, unless you're in the jungle far far away from civilization, your iPhone GPS should work just fine!

And for me, i rather miss a turn than not have a location at all due to outdated data! Most of the time, OEM NAVI are grossly outdated by a year or so by the time it reaches your hand (via DVD or card). I gave up on getting new DVD for my Sienna and Prius because it was just so outdated even with the updated discs. The big screen is nice for sure...but i was buying these options because of the rearview camera (i have toddlers) and phone book options rather than the navigation itself. Manufacturers are learning this and are finally separating the two out. So, when Subaru offered rearview mirror with camera, i jumped at it bypassing the NAVI option altogether!! (Lexus is the worst! They ONLY offer their top of the line Mark Levinson audio with NAVI...i hate that!)
I am interested in the ios6 app as well. I think the iphone only uses the cell signal for the maps. If you have the Garmin software, then they should be preloaded so it is not an issue. Does it burn thru your battery fast or do you keep it plugged in?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I am interested in the ios6 app as well. I think the iphone only uses the cell signal for the maps. If you have the Garmin software, then they should be preloaded so it is not an issue. Does it burn thru your battery fast or do you keep it plugged in?
Always plugged in via USB.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
The new google navi for instance can download ur route into the phone so that it doesn't rely on cell signal to update maps. I am sure that Apple will do the same.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new google navi for instance can download ur route into the phone so that it doesn't rely on cell signal to update maps. I am sure that Apple will do the same.
Apple has just announced that it will no longer be using Google Maps because of the Android competition. It will be using something that it has been working on with TomTom. Apple will also be discontinuing to support YouTube apps on their products.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Probably. Unfortunately, I usually do not have the time to do that. I have an app called "Arrive" that pulls my meetings off my calendar for the day and links them to the map app. So all of my stuff is done in the car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Apple has just announced that it will no longer be using Google Maps because of the Android competition. It will be using something that it has been working on with TomTom. Apple will also be discontinuing to support YouTube apps on their products.
I hear google is coming out with their own YouTube app for the iPhone - so it won't be too much of a problem. My only concern is that the Apple map app will have so many bugs that it will be worthless for a few months.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Probably. Unfortunately, I usually do not have the time to do that. I have an app called "Arrive" that pulls my meetings off my calendar for the day and links them to the map app. So all of my stuff is done in the car.
On Android, this is done automatically I think. I am sure Apple navi will do the same.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts