Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the leaky sunroof, there was water sloshing around the right rear passenger area and it sounded like water had even gotten somewhere else and you could hear the water rushing forward when stepping on the brake, but none or very little came to the front passenger side.

The leak has been fixed and the water drained for a month now, but I am still not getting any noise from any of the speakers. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! Given the timing, I do believe there's a direct connection between the water and the speakers not working.

I'm thinking of removing the head unit and testing for grounds, but would need a pin diagram and pin numbers to test. If you have that, please post it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, around same time as leak, I disconnected the wires in the steering column that keep the key from being removed when the car is not in park. Will plug this back in to see if there is an effect on the stereo and will report back in the next few days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugging the steering wheel connector back in had no effect. It appears to be the wetness from the leaky sunroof that caused the speaker outage.

Please help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, after some research, I think it might be the amplifier that has gone bad. Apparently Subaru chose to locate this component under the front passenger seat, attached to the floor rather than somewhere higher up. Could Subaru have waterproofed this amplifier? Probably. Could Subaru have put this component somewhere where water wouldn't have collected and destroyed it? Yes. Very disappointed, will be looking for aftermarket amplifier.

Does anyone know the amplifier specs?

The part number is 86221AL71A.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Sonic Electronix and they were very helpful. They said that I was better off just replacing the the current amp as it would be more costly and much more complicated to replace the amp with an aftermarket setup. As a result, I have purchased an amp from a local auto salvage yard for about $160. Glad to not have to pay Subaru for this part. I expect to install it tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted on how it works out.

It makes the job a whole lot easier to remove the front seat to unscrew (T-15 head) the plastic cover over the amp. The plastic covers over the seat screws were relatively difficult to get off, so look for a YouTube video for help. I just tilted the seat backwards after removing the 4 screws (either 12mm or 14 mm). I had to use a bar to extend the length of my socket driver to move a couple of the screws. After removing the plastic cover, there are two 10 mm nuts holding the amp to the floor. You'll have to peel back little flaps of carpet that are covering these nuts. My amp showed definite signs of water infiltration.

Hopefully this will help some one else as I feel like I am talking to myself on this thread.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,513 Posts
Sorry about your problem and thanks for the updates. Please do let us know if replacing the amp solved the issue.

Personally, I would have done a bit more troubleshooting before dumping that much money on a replacement part (not everyone has an oscilloscope to check for presence of an audio signal, but checking for power at the amp should be straightforward once you can get to it), but given the symptoms (no sound from any speakers after a good soaking and the amp apparently being immersed) your guess does seem to have merit. Was the carpet also soaked? I could see the speaker in the flooded door getting ruined (but would be surprised if it was completely silent), but that shouldn't have affected all of them unless soaking that one somehow caused a dead short across the speaker leads (seems unlikely) which then caused the power amp circuit's fuse to blow (also seems unlikely).

Have you checked the fuse(s)?

Have you cleared the drains at the bottom of that flooded door? It shouldn't have trapped water like that. You should take the panel off and let it thoroughly dry out. You'll likely have to take that panel off to replace the speaker in there if it was as bad as you say.

Out of curiosity, why did you disconnect the interlock to prevent the key from being removed, which locks the steering, while the car was potentially in motion?

Just a comment: your original post didn't contain enough information to elicit much specific help. At least you gave the model year, but a description of the trim line (base, Premium, Limited, etc.), engine and transmission, and - especially - which audio system, would have been helpful since the circuit diagrams vary between different trim levels, engine and transmission types, and with the various audio system choices.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply. It is a 2013 outback 3.6r Limited with moonroof and eyesight. The car has the Harman Kardon stereo system installed, which has an amplifier located under the front passenger seat. The gas station that fixed the leak cleared all the drains. The evidence definitely shows water infiltration of the amplifier under the seat. Probably sloshed some water from the rear footwell into that middle section where the amplifier sits when I was doing some hard braking to try to determine where the water was.

Are there a separate fuse for the amp and the radio head units? The head unit turns on, so I assumed the fuse was fine.

On the other subject, the became very difficult to remove from the ignition and was almost at the point where I had to just leave the keys in the car when going in for groceries. Disconnecting the plug solved the problem. I'm not in a position to pay to have the shifter switch replaced. Some of the safety equipment built into cars now days are a bit silly, like the one that prevents the key from being removed when you're not in park. Who would do that? Oh wait, a celebrity might.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you suggested, I checked the fuse and it was blown. 25A fuse in the engine compartment. After changing the fuse, I was plugging the old amp back in and saw a small amount of smoke coming from one of the plugs. Unplugged old amp and checked fuse again and it was blown again. BTW, I don't think the doors were flooded, it sounded like there was some sort of void along the bottom right side of the main cabin underneath where the doors are. Thanks for your suggestion that might have saved me a lot of money if it proved to be the problem!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want this to happen again. The bolts that stick out of the floor are quite long—over 1". Any reason that I shouldn't add spacers to lift the amp higher off the floor in an effort to reduce the risk of water damage? Right now, there is an odd looking frame that holds the amp, but I don't think it necessarily has to be all the way down. Actually find the heavy frame and amp location to be a bit odd given today's goal of light weighting cars no matter what the cost. I wonder how much extra energy is spent on replacing parts that aren't made to last....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the amplifier. However, I instead of a new one, I was able to find a replacement at a relatively local salvage yard for $100. It was a bit hard to find, but was a much better option than buying a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts