Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in an order with SubaruOnlineParts today for a 12 pack of 2013 Outback oem oil filters and was informed there would be a delay on the shipment. Anyone have insight into what's going on regarding a redesign?

Hi,

Typically on these there is no delay, however there was a hold on these for a pending design change. We expect them in Monday, but I cannot guarantee. They have been pulled from all the warehouses so no one will be able to get them until they are released.

We will ship the day we get them in.

Thank you for your patience.
-salesperson name removed

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I read somewhere a couple days ago that a few gaskets were possibly leaking, maybe they did a recall until they get it straightened out

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I have an OEM filter next to me. I had previously noticed how thin the gasket was so this really doesn't shock me. Also, if you tighten the filter down to the full 7/8 turn, the gasket will compress enough that the metal rim of the filter makes contact with the base plate on the engine.

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
. . . was informed there would be a delay on the shipment.
Anyone know if that's only for the filter used on the "FB" engine used in the 2013 OB? (I think it's a different part number than the one used for the previous engines.)

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I bought extra filters when I bought my car, I'm going to assume I'm safe as this is recent news and I think we would have heard about this by now since I bought my filters in July.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Oil Filter Gasket

You can buy an extra gasket at some real hardware store (not Home Depot nor Lowes) or on the web and gouble-up on gaskets.. put the "flat" gasket on the metal plate and then screw on the oil filter with thin gasket on. Make sure it's heat and chemically resitant.

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
You can buy an extra gasket at some real hardware store (not Home Depot nor Lowes) or on the web and gouble-up on gaskets.. put the "flat" gasket on the metal plate and then screw on the oil filter with thin gasket on. Make sure it's heat and chemically resitant.
Are you sure? Stacking oil filter gaskets is a definite no-no and a classic cause of major leaks when a filter is changed but the old gasket doesn't come off with it.

As for the affected filters, go to this post and download the attachment. It lists the affected filters by production date and has pics of where to find it on the filters.

The text (only) of the notice is in this post

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The 2013 OB has the oil filter on top of the engine surrounded with a metal plate to prevent spills. Doubling up on gaskets will never cause an oil leak! You can visually check it almost every day without crawling under the car - just open the hood!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts