Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I log in under My Subaru, my service schedule for my 2013 Outback 4 cyl shows 3,000 miles for the first oil change. However, the 2011-2013 Oil Chart shows that it has synthetic and first service is at 7,500 miles.

Anyone know which is right?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
3,000 mile oil changes is old school advice. Do whatever your owners manual says. Me thinks the "My Subaru" is linked to dealers who will always recommend more frequent changes in the interest of profits.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
3,000 mile oil changes is old school advice. Do whatever your owners manual says. Me thinks the "My Subaru" is linked to dealers who will always recommend more frequent changes in the interest of profits.
ACtually the very first oil change is 3000 miles after that its 7500 or less.

The catch is the first oilchange addresses the assembly oils and such that are in the engine and contaminate the engine oil. Hence why you change it at 3000 miles the very first time.

Not confusing at all unless you assume that the first oilchange is done for the same reason and mileage point all the others are done at. Which case you would be confused.

FIRST OIL CHANGE IS A SPECIAL CASE IT HAPPENS AT 3000 MILES. After that its 7500 or less pending conditions

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts

The catch is the first oilchange addresses the assembly oils and such that are in the engine and contaminate the engine oil. Hence why you change it at 3000 miles the very first time.

Not confusing at all unless you assume that the first oilchange is done for the same reason and mileage point all the others are done at. Which case you would be confused.

FIRST OIL CHANGE IS A SPECIAL CASE IT HAPPENS AT 3000 MILES. After that its 7500 or less pending conditions
... or 3 months .... whichever comes first (I think that's what is shown in those charts, if I am not mistaken...)

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's interesting that US Subaru's need less frequent oil changes than Canadian. Our schedule is every 10,000 kilometers or 6200 miles. I plan on my first change at 5,000 km (3100miles). Over the life span I'll end up with quite a few more changes than you guys. same oil 5-30w synthetic.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It's interesting that US Subaru's need less frequent oil changes than Canadian. Our schedule is every 10,000 kilometers or 6200 miles. I plan on my first change at 5,000 km (3100miles). Over the life span I'll end up with quite a few more changes than you guys. same oil 5-30w synthetic.
Dirty Canadians require more frequent oilchanges LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the 3.6R is required to be in at 3,000 not the 2.5i look again..

Steve

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I think the 3.6R is required to be in at 3,000 not the 2.5i look again..

Steve
The First change AKA very first time the oil is ever changed meaning never been changed before 3000miles is the suggested ie recommended interval for the 2.5.

After that its 7500miles or less.

AS IN THE VERY FIRST OIL CHANGE IS A SPECIAL CASE that is all IE NOT A NORMAL CHANGE INTERVAL

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Dirty Canadians require more frequent oilchanges LOL
It's also easier for Canadians to remember 10,000 kilometers as opposed to our 7500 miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Operators manual states 7500 miles for the 2.5 and for the 3.6 it states 3000 miles.
I have a 2.5 and did my oil change at 3000 by habit on a new engine but also misread the manual cause it said 3000 miles but found that was for the 3.6 engine.
My wife has a 2013 Impreza sport with the 2.0 engine and I think her book states 7500 also ? Cant see letting it go that long. Call me old school ?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Operators manual states 7500 miles for the 2.5 and for the 3.6 it states 3000 miles.
I have a 2.5 and did my oil change at 3000 by habit on a new engine but also misread the manual cause it said 3000 miles but found that was for the 3.6 engine.
My wife has a 2013 Impreza sport with the 2.0 engine and I think her book states 7500 also ? Cant see letting it go that long. Call me old school ?
The very first change is 3000 miles after that its 7500 no confusion as to which engine

·
Registered
161 Posts
According to the manual 2.5's are due at 7,500 miles.. (In the picture it mentions in remarks "Note 1", Note 1 refers to "When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions,** the engine oil and filter should be changed every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 3+3/4 months."

Here is a picture showing the schedule.. I did not find anything "required at 3,000 other than the 3.6R

I also know that it is customary to do 3,000 miles, however Subaru doesn't declare it in the manuals I have..

Steve..

·
Registered
26 Posts
"I'll end up with quite a few more changes than you guys. same oil 5-30w synthetic"

I thought that the recommendation was for 0-20 full synthetic oil! I used Mobil 1 0-20 from Walmart.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
"I'll end up with quite a few more changes than you guys. same oil 5-30w synthetic"

I thought that the recommendation was for 0-20 full synthetic oil! I used Mobil 1 0-20 from Walmart.
0w20 is only for the FB series engine in the 2013 Outback. The older 2.5, 3.0, and 2.6 all call for 5w30.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Subie - this information is not accurate for the 2013 as well as the 2012. It has 7500 mile intervals. Dealers are conditioned to ask for the 3000 miles and I believe on the 3.6R it is required to have an inital 3750 mi oil change, but the 2.5i just has uits first at 7500 miles. The manual says this as well as the cars.com site. Go with what Subaru recommends not the dealer

·
Registered
228 Posts
The dealer made it a point to brag about how it's synthetic oil and only needs to be changed every 7500 miles...

But then mailed me a maintenance book that has oil changes every 3750. I see what you did there, CitySide...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
Navajo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing