Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-Its my time to weigh in on the stock tires. Before we purchased the Outback this year the peanut gallery was full of people complaining about the conti-pro contact stock tires. I am now part of that peanut gallery and soap box standing brigade. My biggest issue so far is that they pick up pea gravel more than any other tire I have ever seen! I reallly do not want to pull pea gravel out of the tires every drive. They ride nice, but given the other comments on here about them wearing down quickly I am ready to start researching what to replace them with. I have always had good luck with Bridgestone and Michelin tires. Anyone have a recommendation in the Bridgetone or Michelin arsenal?

·
Registered
351 Posts
They don't pick up the gravel more than the well regarded tires I had on my 4Runner and our Toyota with Michelin Defenders will hold some. This is not something I obsess on but I am a trail builder and private ski area director driving off of pavement a few times a week.

If you insist on new tires I can say the Michelin Defenders we got (different car) the day after we got the Outback are good.

To be honest I have not yet used the OEM Contis in snow but drive them in rain and some mud and the do a good enough job where I'd be slow to get rid of new tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, wait until you need to get new tires, then replace...we have always preferred Michelins. Plus a good 360 wheel lock to wheel lock will remove most rocks stuck in tread!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Michelins

Anyone tried the Michelin X-Radials or HydroEdge on the OB? The Contis are gravel grabbers in the sipes for sure. Mine are near done.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
In 45 years of driving with dozens of different tire types and sizes these Conti's eat more gravel than anything I've ever had, seen or heard of. :eek:Second place is not even close. I noticed it right out of the chute in 2011 with my first set.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Noticed the same as the boat launch I use has an all gravel driveway and parking lot..:17:
I have always had some stones in my tires because of this, but these Conti's top the list...

J

·
0 Posts
I had suspicion about these tires. I was wondering if it was just me? Now, after reading these comments, I realize I am not crazy. They just seem sloppy and prone to skidding more than I expect for an AWD vehicle. I will ride these out, but will replace with something else when the time comes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goodyear Assurance triple tread all season

My 2013 Outback replaced my crunched 2012 ("They lived") Outback. I reached 60K miles with the original Contiprocontact P226/60 R17 98T tires last week. I've had no complaints. rotated once. The front tires are close to the thread indicators (~ 1/16 inch). About to make a 2000 mile road trip. I no longer buy michelin (due to france's abstenance from participating in policing the world). The goodyear assurance triple thread all season intrigued me. Walmart shows them for $150/tire 80K miles 130mph high load. A little concerned with noise. The continentals have seemed quiet to me.

Anyone have experience with the goodyear tires?

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 2013 Outback replaced my crunched 2012 ("They lived") Outback. I reached 60K miles with the original Contiprocontact P226/60 R17 98T tires last week. I've had no complaints. rotated once. The front tires are close to the thread indicators (~ 1/16 inch). About to make a 2000 mile road trip. I no longer buy michelin (due to france's abstenance from participating in policing the world). The goodyear assurance triple thread all season intrigued me. Walmart shows them for $150/tire 80K miles 130mph high load. A little concerned with noise. The continentals have seemed quiet to me.

Anyone have experience with the goodyear tires?

We had a set on my daughter's 2002 Taurus. They were decent tires but they were on the noisy side and got worse as they aged. They were replaced at about 6 years old because the sidewalls were cracking pretty seriously. We replaced them with General Altimax's.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been very pleased with my OEM Contis currently with 35k miles. Performance in rain, snow and overall handling seem to be good for me.

I have heard numerous complaints about certain tires but have never heard about how much pea gravel they collect. Gravel absorbing characteristics is rather low on my list of tire important rating criteria. I'll admit though that I do seem to notice more gravel imbedded in my OB tires than on my other vehicles, but not by much.

As I contemplate replacements, right now the Michelin Defenders are at the top of my list. I have been a fan of Michelin for some time and have had excellent experience with a variety of their tires over the years. There appears to be several good choices of brands and model tires for our OBs, and that is good.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure why the concern over gravel in the treads. It is actually a patented Conti feature to keep people from tailgating you... :)

I also had the problem, but I just put on the new Continental Control Contact Tour AS from America's Tire and this new model is much better at not picking up pebbles; about the same as other brands I've used. Yes, I know there are folks who would argue against the America's Tire house brand Contis, but I had severe tire damage on the OEM tires and America's Tire went above and beyond to get me a new matched-circumference set at a wallet-pleasing discount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
15 Participants
bfoutch
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing