Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking seriously at the 2013 Outback with SAP, but very hesitant about the keyless ignition. Concerned that it may fail. Is there a way to override this? Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? I know it is new to Subaru, which also gives me pause. Do love the SAP's other features.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
This is not new techology, Nissan and Toyota have had it for years. I took delivery of an SAP today, and I really like the interior!

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Looking seriously at the 2013 Outback with SAP, but very hesitant about the keyless ignition. Concerned that it may fail. Is there a way to override this? Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? I know it is new to Subaru, which also gives me pause. Do love the SAP's other features.

I just bought an SAP last Monday. Driven 400 miles so far. I LOVE this car - but still getting used to the features and this is one of them. It hasnt failed on me, and I DID see a thing in the manual that said you can disable something about this feature but I dont know how it works. There is no keyhole to start the car with so no idea how you would start it if it fails.

It IS cool to walk up to the car and it just unlocks without touching anything. You dont have to press the button - it just unlocks.

AS far as the other SAP features though, I can tell you that I really like them. I would have gotten it even without keyless entry (for a slightly cheaper price of course).

I LOVE the 2 preset seat placement. My girlfriend sits with the seat so close I cant get in the car, so being able (for her too) to just push that button when you open the door and the seat is perfect is awesome!

I also like the darker brown wood trim and the brown leather (my car is black). Even the small touches on the headlights is nice, and the rear bumper cover- which I would have gotten anyway.

Its only been a week but I am very happy I got the SAP package.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
This is not new techology, Nissan and Toyota have had it for years. I took delivery of an SAP today, and I really like the interior!
congrats!

I like my SAP interior too!!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
87 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the button, like mentioned previously, its not new technology, just new to the Outback.

Love the SAP, lot's going on here to enjoy, don't let something like the pushbutton ignition keep you from getting what you want.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
237 Posts
The push button start is a very nice feature, I like it much more than I thought I would, also its just a different form of ignition switch, it shouldnt fail any more or less than a key, and you dont have an override for you normal key ignition.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
The underlying fob-based (RIF) technology is similar in many cars now. Whether the switch for the starting circuit is activated by turning a key or pushing a button is not all that relevant. In fact, it seems to me the simple push button is potentially more reliable than a key switch. There is no override for the push button on the SAP, just as there is no override for the key switch if it fails in the non-SAP.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Special Apperance Package
13 Posts
I bought my OB with SAP specifically because it had the keyless start. I love that feature. I did have the dealer reprogram it so ALL the doors unlock when I walk up and grab the drivers door. I hated to have to open the drivers door and then push the unlock button to unlock all the other doors. With a dog in my arms or groceries it was a pain. Now I just touch the drivers door and all the door unlock. I can now open the rear door without even opening the drivers door. The push button start is really cool also. I have yet to take the FOB out of my pocket.

The systems also amazingly smart. It knows if I have the key on my person or left it in the car. If I leave the FOB in the car, it won't let me lock the doors by pushing the button on the door handle. It just beeps telling me I'm stupid for leaving the FOB in the car. So far I haven't had any problems with this system (knocking on wood).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ SAP
29 Posts
I've used Toyota's keyless start systems since 2005 with the Prius (I traded for a 2011 18 months ago). The Subaru system works the same way and they all pretty much just work. Every once is a while (after 3-4 years) the battery will run low and the car will give a warning message when you start the car (at least the Toyota does).

I do wish the systems are smart to recognize if the key is near the driver's door but someone pulls the door handle on the passenger side, that door would open.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I bought my OB with SAP specifically because it had the keyless start. I love that feature. I did have the dealer reprogram it so ALL the doors unlock when I walk up and grab the drivers door. I hated to have to open the drivers door and then push the unlock button to unlock all the other doors. With a dog in my arms or groceries it was a pain. Now I just touch the drivers door and all the door unlock. I can now open the rear door without even opening the drivers door. The push button start is really cool also. I have yet to take the FOB out of my pocket.

The systems also amazingly smart. It knows if I have the key on my person or left it in the car. If I leave the FOB in the car, it won't let me lock the doors by pushing the button on the door handle. It just beeps telling me I'm stupid for leaving the FOB in the car. So far I haven't had any problems with this system (knocking on wood).
If your dealer can't figure it out (it's new) have them look at page 2-17 in the Owners manual for the proper terminology to look for - "Door unlock selection feature (Non-operational) allows for the 'unlock all' feature".

G-

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
no need to worry about it failing. it certainly isn't new technology. only new for subarus in america. the rest of the world has had this for a while, and like mentioned before, several other car companies have offered it for years.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
We have a SAP. The keyless features are not a draw for me, but my wife likes it. What I need to have reprogrammed is to have all doors unlock when the driver door is opened. And if I can have the doors unlock when I open the back hatch, I will do that too.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl
33 Posts
We have a SAP. The keyless features are not a draw for me, but my wife likes it. What I need to have reprogrammed is to have all doors unlock when the driver door is opened. And if I can have the doors unlock when I open the back hatch, I will do that too.
+1 on this! If anybody has been able to do this at a dealer or somewhere, I'd be definitely interested in this as well. One of my biggest gripe with the keyless is having to manually unlock with the remote key or inner door unlock button whenever I have passengers. Ugh, life can be so hard sometimes. :29:

Also, last week after 5 months with the car I learned that there was a second door lock button on the rear hatch handle on the right. MIND BLOWN.

EDIT: Nevermind. Read the previous page and saw that dealers can do this. For those of you that changed the settings, did it cost you anything to do it? I'm taking mine into the dealer on the 3rd for it's 7500 mile service so I'll inquire about it then.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
Even cars that don't have keyless ignition may have chips in the key. If the car does not sense the right chip, it won't start, even if the key fits the ignition lock. Subaru started using chipped keys in some models almost a decade ago. I can't say I ever heard of the system failing. Keyless ignition is just a variation of the same system.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl
33 Posts

I took my car in for it's 7500 mile service over at Maita Subaru in Sacramento, CA this morning and asked if they could reprogram the locks to open all doors instead of just the driver's door but they wouldn't do it. They said a couple people asked about this and their argument was that it was a safety/security issue. I was in a rush to get back to work so I didn't really push for it.

Did you really have to push (demand) the dealer to reprogram it? Or do certain dealers do it and others don't? Also, does reprogramming void any warranty clauses since it changes some of the supposed 'security' features of the car?

One last question, if I manage to get a dealer to reprogram it, how long did it take? Assuming they're aren't busy that day. The nearest Subaru dealerships are about 30 minutes away so I just want to swing by one day in case I'm ever in an area that has one.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
I find the claim that reprogramming the keyless to unlock all doors from the drivers is a security/safety issue a bit lame. Such a claim would render the ability to unlock all doors from the FOB equally (or more) insecure/unsafe. I am guessing that they didn't want to take the time and hassle. But, if I am wrong, I would like to know what makes it so lacking in security/safety. I plan to have my SAP reprogrammed when I take it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used Toyota's keyless start systems since 2005 with the Prius (I traded for a 2011 18 months ago). The Subaru system works the same way and they all pretty much just work. Every once is a while (after 3-4 years) the battery will run low and the car will give a warning message when you start the car (at least the Toyota does).

I do wish the systems are smart to recognize if the key is near the driver's door but someone pulls the door handle on the passenger side, that door would open.
On mine, it doesn't work this way. The door that is on the side I'm standing on opens. The other does not. i.e. if I have the key on my person, my passenger standing on the other side of the car can't unlock the door simply by touching the passenger side door handle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought an SAP last Monday. Driven 400 miles so far.

It IS cool to walk up to the car and it just unlocks without touching anything. You dont have to press the button - it just unlocks.
On mine, you have to touch the inner part of the door handle. It does not unlock without touching the handle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts