Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Outback Limited is just 3 weeks old. Yesterday the security light started blinking when the car is off and unlocked. It just seemed to happen out of the blue.

I have searched this forum and other sites via Google and tried all the potential fixes to no avail. Can someone please provide clarification as to the fix and what kind of user error I incurred?

Thank you.

Hank Z.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
On our '11, the "security light" in the dash blinks whenever the car is turned off. It's done this since it was new. The Owners Manual explains that this is normal, if nonsensical, behavior.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, it just started happening. I have had the car for 3 weeks and the light did not blink when unlocked before yesterday. My understanding is that the light will only blink when the car is locked.

I have owned many new cars all with security systems and this is the first time I have had this occur.

·
Registered
18,721 Posts
The security indicator light indicates when the immobilizer is active, whether or not the car is locked.

The light also indicates when the security alarm is set; after locking the car (all doors closed) it will flash in a more rapid sequence for a short time and then switch to flashing at about 2 second intervals.

I believe this is covered in section 2 of the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I suspect you just noticed it. Its been blinking since day one given its working as designed. Valet mode only happens when the valet key is used. Easy test for this is to open the rear hatch after you usd the valet key to unlock the driver side door. Hint you wont be able to get into the rear hatch.

I have a family member who took almost 2yrs to notice the security light on the dash and had the same exact response you did nearly word for word.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Not to interject but what does "valet mode" do? Just not allow the tailgate to be opened with the door unlock button?

Isn't this a useless feature since you can just reach behind the rear seat?

Does this mode restrict anything else?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Not to interject but what does "valet mode" do? Just not allow the tailgate to be opened with the door unlock button?

Isn't this a useless feature since you can just reach behind the rear seat?

Does this mode restrict anything else?
The glove box.

G

·
My 2013 Outback's light started flashing and I have tried opening driver door and holding unlock button but it won't stop? I do not have a valet key as I bought car used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts