Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's because it's a new car and you kinda notice every little thing but this seems strange to me.

My 2013 OBL has ~800 miles on it and I've noticed when it's cold there's a slight jerking feeling when excelerating at low speeds. (5-15mph) my first thought was its the CVT or an associated part. It almost feels like you're pumping the gas lightly. It only lasts a second or two then it's gone. After it's warmed up it doesn't seem to do it...or if it does it's so slight I don't feel it. One of my employees has a 2012 OBL and he says his does it to but it's hardly noticeable.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how the CVT has a jerk or lurch, but I'm not sure if this is what they're referring to or not. I've never owned a car with a CVT, so I don't know what's normal and what's not. I plan on having the dealer check it out when my first oil change is due, but was wondering if anyone else noticed something similar.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
50 Posts
I understand the feeling that you are experiencing. At times it felt like a hesitation. At just over 2000 miles I can't say I notice the pause any more. The vehicle now feels very familiar and smooth for me.

The one thing I am very use to is pausing an extra second when I back up - stop - pause - then select drive. Seems like the transmission needs to slow down before drive can be engaged.

Welcome to the Outback.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I noticed the same thing the first thousand or so miles. I'm at 5000 now and it's still there very slightly, but nowhere near as noticeable.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 CVT Limited Outback Graphite Grey
41 Posts
7850. Miles on mine now. Before operating temps get up there and under lite throttle input my 13 exhibits the same condition on the 1st pull so to speak,little more throttle and it won't do it.
I call it normal ?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
It's probably just a bit of surging or inaccuracy in the fuel injection program...

Old cars ran rich so they wouldn't do this.. new cars are on the bleeding edge in terms of running the engine as lean as they possibly can to get improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.. the computer is analyzing tons of variables (air pressure, temperature, throttle position, engine rpm, coolant temp, catalytic converter temperatures, O2 sensors, etc..)

When the car is warming up it is sitting there slowly adjusting the program to warm the car up.. it is an easy time for something to get slightly off.

Cars are good.. motorcycles tend(ed) to be horrible about this for a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7850. Miles on mine now. Before operating temps get up there and under lite throttle input my 13 exhibits the same condition on the 1st pull so to speak,little more throttle and it won't do it.
I call it normal ?
Bingo, that's exactly it! It only does it when I first start out in the AM, at Lunch time, or when I first leave work, and after I get going (or as you put it "1st pull"...great description BTW) it disappears. It seems like a lot of folks have experienced the same thing. I don't see it as a big deal or even irritating, I just thought worst case scenario. I can be that way...just ask my wife. ;)

Thanks for the info Winged.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I noticed this when new. Either it went away or I have adjusted to it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
My 2012 3.6R has the hesitation described. The only time I have noticed it is when going down a long grade of about 3% with cruse control on. When on level or upgrade it does not do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts