Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else in the Boston area notice the 2013 Outback taxi's? They are white base model's with green livery colors. It didn't occur to me to take a photo, but from the number I've spotted in the last few weeks there seems to be a small fleet of them roaming the city.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Yes, lots of them around. Interesting choice for the company to use. The bigger operators, like Veteran's, like to standardize around one or two vehicles and do all the repair work themselves. Wonder if the same is taking place with the Outbacks.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Makes sense since the Crown Vics are gone.
San Francisco is now a mix of Prius and other hybrid taxis.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
We are getting a pretty good dose of X-boxes around here.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
We are getting a pretty good dose of X-boxes around here.
Yep and Priuses (Priusi?) too, and last Wednesday, I followed a Civic cab from the airport to the I-5/I-80 junction (where it headed west). Cabs are getting smaller and smaller. A big cab is a Camry.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

Gen4 OBs should make excellent taxis. Low price, reasonable mpg,
tons of rear legroom & headroom, easy entry/exit for passengers
and luggage, footprint same or smaller than most midsize sedans,
with more interior space. What's not to like?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
The best part is that by next year there will be some '13s with 200,000 miles on them, so we might catch a glimpse of how they hold up.

Also I wonder if someone will tease out some secrets of the TPMS system. Every taxi I've been in over the past few years has had a check engine and TPMS light on.

Price of the car shouldn't factor much, it's long been the cheapest part of the puzzle. NYC taxi licenses were trading for around $120k a few years ago. Boston is likely cheaper but how much?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
.......Price of the car shouldn't factor much, it's long been the cheapest part of the puzzle. NYC taxi licenses were trading for around $120k a few years ago. Boston is likely cheaper but how much?
Saw a story last week where they are trying to regulate taxi licenses in DC where owner operator is the rule. Now anyone can start their own service with just a business license and a car. They contrasted with NYC where they go for over a million. All corporate owned with no owner operators.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I goggled Boston taxi and this pops up. Great platform for a taxi, I suspect these will be hybrid very soon.
Incidentally, there are a ton of unregulated taxis in San Francisco..most identified with a pink mustache on the grill.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I goggled Boston taxi and this pops up. Great platform for a taxi, I suspect these will be hybrid very soon.
Incidentally, there are a ton of unregulated taxis in San Francisco..most identified with a pink mustache on the grill.

Would hybrid work on a Ford Transit? Hybrid technology does not seem to work once the GVW gets above about 6000lbs (meaning fuel savings is no longer impressive). I think hybrid is great, but the technology still needs some work.

Last I saw the 2014 Ford Transit Connect is being offered with an Ecoboost engine but no hybrid or diesel in the USA yet.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Would hybrid work on a Ford Transit? Hybrid technology does not seem to work once the GVW gets above about 6000lbs (meaning fuel savings is no longer impressive). I think hybrid is great, but the technology still needs some work.

Last I saw the 2014 Ford Transit Connect is being offered with an Ecoboost engine but no hybrid or diesel in the USA yet.
The Ford website says the GVWR for the Transit Connect 4965. Maximum payload is 1600..that puts empty weight at around 3400 lbs.
I think the Fusion or Focus Hybrid technology would fit in the TC.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The Ford website says the GVWR for the Transit Connect 4965. Maximum payload is 1600..that puts empty weight at around 3400 lbs.
I think the Fusion or Focus Hybrid technology would fit in the TC.
Wow, 3400 is about the weight of a Prius. My guess is cargo weight (it is a van!) is the reason they are offering Ecoboost and not a hybrid.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Saw a story last week where they are trying to regulate taxi licenses in DC where owner operator is the rule. Now anyone can start their own service with just a business license and a car. They contrasted with NYC where they go for over a million. All corporate owned with no owner operators.
As of 2008 most of the owner operators in NYC were running Honda Odysseys. Apparently they hit the sweet spot for profitability. Dunno what factor put it there.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
Not a boston cab

Nice series in the Globe this week taking aim at the guys who own all the Taxi Medallions.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
i noticed the outback cabs too. Taking a hit in MPGs though.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
We saw a car with a pink mustache when we were in S.F., or rather my 15 year old daughter spotted it. I did not know that they were cabs. Every cab we hailed while there was some kind of a hybrid. Gas in CA costs more than in Boston. News says we pay more than anyone except Hawaii. Pretty sure we pay the most insurance too. My BF uses her Outback to pick up and deliver her kids places all day long and I think it would be a great taxi, but for profit it would have to be anywhere BUT CA or HI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts