Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We needed a 4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicle. We picked the Outback (just about everyone in my family ones or has owned one and the recommendations went on and on). We purchased a 2013 model with SAP (had to have memory seats). Even with all of great comments from friends and family, I am ambivalent on the choice. That I had to give up my beloved Passat TDI for this car (my wife wouldn't part with her car and I lost the coin toss) has only amplified the things that annoy me.

1) On a SAP model I still have to hit a button to unlock the passenger doors or I have to open the passenger side and walk around to get into the driver's seat. This sucks. (I know that Subaru can reprogram the system but that means I have them fix this for $$.
2) No auto lock. Even with keyless entry, I have to manually lock the doors, even our old and really cheap minivan will auto lock.
3) No auto unlock, so after I have manually locked the doors (this sucks), I now have to manually unlock the doors to get out (this sucks more).

Keyless entry is pretty useless in the way lock management is implemented. Unless you absolutely need the memory seats, don't bother with SAP.

4) I cannot get a crate the fits my dog in the back (I knew this when I bought the car but it still sucks). I can use the pet barrier but with a crate, I can dedicate space to the dog and space to carry other stuff. I will have to build something (I guess I can see this as opportunity).
5) The NAV, the clunky interface I can live with but in 2012, a NAV should let you know if you are exceeding the speed limit (my $120 Garmin does this but the $1000 does not so I ignore the Subaru NAV and use the Garmin).
6) Radio controls. Too much reliance on the touch screen. This creates a driver distraction issue. I realize that there are controls on the wheel but the controls are limited.
7) Fit and finish issues. My car is a SAP, it is supposed to be a Special Appearance model but minor fit issues detract.
8) Electric parking brake. Who thought this up?
9) NAV based satellite clock. I like to run my clock a little fast but I can't.

My wife loves the Outback (but I don't love her car) so in a few years (like 5 or 6) when I can afford another vehicle, she will get the Outback. I am already potting my plan to acquire another diesel.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
We needed a 4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicle. We picked the Outback (just about everyone in my family ones or has owned one and the recommendations went on and on). We purchased a 2013 model with SAP (had to have memory seats). Even with all of great comments from friends and family, I am ambivalent on the choice. That I had to give up my beloved Passat TDI for this car (my wife wouldn't part with her car and I lost the coin toss) has only amplified the things that annoy me.

1) On a SAP model I still have to hit a button to unlock the passenger doors or I have to open the passenger side and walk around to get into the driver's seat. This sucks. (I know that Subaru can reprogram the system but that means I have them fix this for $$.
2) No auto lock. Even with keyless entry, I have to manually lock the doors, even our old and really cheap minivan will auto lock.
3) No auto unlock, so after I have manually locked the doors (this sucks), I now have to manually unlock the doors to get out (this sucks more).

Keyless entry is pretty useless in the way lock management is implemented. Unless you absolutely need the memory seats, don't bother with SAP.

4) I cannot get a crate the fits my dog in the back (I knew this when I bought the car but it still sucks). I can use the pet barrier but with a crate, I can dedicate space to the dog and space to carry other stuff. I will have to build something (I guess I can see this as opportunity).
5) The NAV, the clunky interface I can live with but in 2012, a NAV should let you know if you are exceeding the speed limit (my $120 Garmin does this but the $1000 does not so I ignore the Subaru NAV and use the Garmin).
6) Radio controls. Too much reliance on the touch screen. This creates a driver distraction issue. I realize that there are controls on the wheel but the controls are limited.
7) Fit and finish issues. My car is a SAP, it is supposed to be a Special Appearance model but minor fit issues detract.

My wife loves the Outback (but I don't love her car) so in a few years (like 5 or 6) when I can afford another vehicle, she will get the Outback. I am already potting my plan to acquire another diesel.

General comment: Why in the world did you pick this car - did you look it over before the purchase? Do you know how the "entry system" works? Apparently not. I don't use the FOB unless, I want to remotely start the car (remote is an accessory). Now having said that, I generally agree with your point #6.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Something tells me I am going to stick with my Garmin after I buy my OB SAP.
I was kind of expecting this to be the case though.
Factory stereo systems are NEVER as good as the after market ones (even the name brand tie ins) and I expected no better with a NAV system.

I actually really like the feature on my Garmin that tells when I am over the speed limit.

Now to figure out where I will mount it and power it.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I think some of the issues you will eventually become accustomed to, it is just a matter of acclimating to your new purchase. There are some things that I do agree with you on; points 1-3, and 6-8. My last car had these features, and one takes them for granted until they are gone (at least I did). For the price point of the vehicle one would expect these features to be standard. I really wish the SAP model had slightly better interior quality, still seems like a hard plastic jungle in there. Over all I still really like my OB. And in time perhaps you will really learn to love your OB as well. Or at least learn to live with it until your next purchase.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I'd love to see the millions of eyes rolling for people that have to work on their cars to keep them running and how they feel about someone with a brand new car this whiny. While your complaints are valid I feel no sympathy as you could have bought something else and you're just pouting cause you miss your diesel. You should have kept that car and bought a 3rd rig used with 4x4/awd. No one forced you to buy a new car.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking for sympathy.
They are just saying what they don't like. Subaru can listen, or not.
Make a great car even better, or not.
Maybe you would like someone should start a forum that only allows praise and love letters.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
I'd love to see the millions of eyes rolling for people that have to work on their cars to keep them running and how they feel about someone with a brand new car this whiny. While your complaints are valid I feel no sympathy as you could have bought something else and you're just pouting cause you miss your diesel. You should have kept that car and bought a 3rd rig used with 4x4/awd. No one forced you to buy a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We needed a 4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicle.
. . .
That I had to give up my beloved Passat TDI for this car . . .

1) On a SAP model I still have to hit a button to unlock the passenger doors or I have to open the passenger side and walk around to get into the driver's seat.
2) No auto lock. . . .
3) No auto unlock . . .
4) I cannot get a crate the fits my dog in the back . . .
5) The NAV, the clunky interface . . .
6) Radio controls. . . .
7) Fit and finish issues. . . .
Mind if I ask, why did you need AWD vehicle in the first place?
Giving up running and loved car for a new one sucks but it was your choice after all.
1. I believe, there is a sequence in you manual to reprogram it for free.
2 & 3. Unless you're living in a city this auto lock / unlock feature is not very useful. In my previous car this constant locking and unlocking wore out door lock solenoids and they stopped functioning. That was a royal pain to lock unlock them manually from the inside!
4. You should've bough a compartment separator option with your OB, then you don't need to worry about your dog crate.
5. Nav. interface is a known issue. Why did you buy it if you could use Garmin in the first place?
6. Radio controls on your steering wheel provide all the necessary functionality. What else do you need?
7. It's a utility station wagon, not a collector's car. What have you expected at such an inexpensive price?
8. Electric parking brake actually is a very nice feature. No cable to pull and stretch. What don't you like about it?
9. Why would you need to run your clock faster? Are you kind of slow to react or what?

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what?

I don't need to defend my gripes. These are valid in 2012. That I loved my TDI is true and that of course amplifies the annoyances.

I was aware of several of the items on the list before I purchased, that doesn't justify the limitations. The lock management was a bit of a surprise as we own other vehicles that do it much better. I had merely taken for granted that in 2012 any car with a FOB would also allow for auto lock and unlock. I was wrong. Lock management is the biggest grip that I have.

Just because I purchased a vehicle doesn't mean that I must now defend the faults.

Subaru should listen and modernize their vehicles. The competition is getting tougher out there. The Ford Escape, the new Rav4 etc. are/will be tough competitors.

And I really wish we had more diesel options. Right now, there are no reasonably priced 4/all wheel drive diesels. Subaru could fill this void (but I suspect the diesel Tiguan will come first).

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Giving up running and loved car for a new one sucks but it was your choice after all.
2 & 3. Unless you're living in a city this auto lock / unlock feature is not very useful. In my previous car this constant locking and unlocking wore out door lock solenoids and they stopped functioning. That was a royal pain to lock unlock them manually from the inside!
4. You should've bough a compartment separator option with your OB, then you don't need to worry about your dog crate.
5. Nav. interface is a known issue. Why did you buy it if you could use Garmin in the first place?
6. Radio controls on your steering wheel provide all the necessary functionality. What else do you need?
7. It's a utility station wagon, not a collector's car. What have you expected at such an inexpensive price?
8. Electric parking brake actually is a very nice feature. No cable to pull and stretch. What don't you like about it?
9. Why would you need to run your clock faster? Are you kind of slow to react or what?
My parents live in WY and are old, I make trips back there often. In Oct, my TDI got stuck.

I have read the manual twice and the only reference, I found, to fix issue 1 was the dealer

I think the compartment sep refers to the grille Subaru sells. I have thought about it but I like to put other things in the back with the crate. I will build something (probably).

I got the NAV for two reasons, 1 we needed the memory seats. 2 the dealer wouldn't negotiate much on the price for a non NAV vehicle. YES, I could have threatened to go someplace else but the salesman had spent many many many hours with us and he lives on commission.

Station search is not on the steering, when you are driving across NV it is nice to have.

As for the brake, I cannot coast the car without turning on the car (maybe I am wrong on this).

On the clock- I have a wife and two daughters. Running the clock a little fast helps get places on time. I can sit in the car as I wait and yell out the time as the minutes tick away. Yeah, I could tell them something different than the clock readout but it helps bolster my angst when the clock says what I say.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Just playing a little devils advocate here:

Regarding #5 - I for one, am planning on buying a SAP package OB. Not because of the Nav - as I am guessing I will still use my Garmin (I have a nice garmin - the REAL thin one and paid a bit for it too - I am certainly not going to have it sit in a drawer and use an inferior product).
But I HAVE to get the NAV if I want the SAP. So, that is why one may buy the NAV even if they have a better GPS.

Regarding #6 - I dont know what the poster was talking about specifically regarding radio controls, and I havent played with it yet in these newer outbacks, but I am an audio engineer and very picky about sound, and I am OFTEN playing around with more controls on my radio than just volume and channel - but I have an aftermarket stereo (dont get me started on the problems I had with 4 OEM 2003 outback units) and its nice to change all those controls using dials and buttons, rather than a touch screen. I am often adjusting the sound quality depending on what I am listening to. Its a matter of opinion what is considered "necessary" controls.

regarding #7 - to me, there is nothing inexpensive about spending 30K on a car. ;)

Regarding #8 - I have never had a parking break malfunction in a car Ive owned - and I own cars till they die. I CAN however see potential for more failure options with an electronic parking break.

Regarding #9 - There are a LOT of people I have known that set clocks "ahead" as they feel it makes them not late to anything. I am NOT one of these people - as to me - you just plan to leave that much earlier all the time - but I have known a lot of people that do this with all their clocks. Strange human behavior. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
40 Posts
Even with all of great comments from friends and family, I am ambivalent on the choice. That I had to give up my beloved Passat TDI for this car (my wife wouldn't part with her car and I lost the coin toss) has only amplified the things that annoy me.

Must be something in the water. These are mostly the same reasons I now have a '12 OB instead of an '04 Passat TDI. The long term ownership cost persuaded me to give in and buy the OB.

The OB just doesn't drive like the German cars. I miss the torque of the TDI and the rock solid feel on the highway. To be fair, the OB is a completely different car. It's higher. It's lighter. It should drive differently. I knew I was trading off certain drive qualities for more practical cost considerations. Maybe after this winter I'll like the OB better.

I would have been happier w/out the Nav. I don't even attempt to use it anymore. A premium model with the HK sound system would have suited me better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The lock management was a bit of a surprise as we own other vehicles that do it much better. I had merely taken for granted that in 2012 any car with a FOB would also allow for auto lock and unlock. I was wrong. Lock management is the biggest grip that I have.

Just because I purchased a vehicle doesn't mean that I must now defend the faults.
. . .
And I really wish we had more diesel options. Right now, there are no reasonably priced 4/all wheel drive diesels.
If you're a DIY type of person, you can cheaply install auto lock/unlock feature from another model which has it. No one is expecting you do defend any faults. I didn't like the inability to open / close windows when the engine is shut. So I've purchased 2013 Model Year Service Manual Wiring and fixed this issue along with that stupid always on DRLs crap. Diesel is good but natural gas is better and cheaper. I converted my car to run on both gasoline and CNG (compressed natural gas). Subaru is a car for people with certain attitude - where others see problems to whine about, subaru folks see opportunities to fix and brag about. Choose our pick.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Regarding the auto-lock / auto-unlock.

I didn't realize it until after we bought it, but the 2013 Acura RDX lets you select / program which behavior you prefer. It's pretty slick.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking for sympathy.
They are just saying what they don't like. Subaru can listen, or not.
Make a great car even better, or not.
Maybe you would like someone should start a forum that only allows praise and love letters.
The OP can say what he wants and I can say what I want. He's already looking ahead in time to when he can get rid of the car, thats ridiculous IMO. In my mind there are a lot of other options that could have been chosen to work with his wife, however it sounds like both were stubborn so now he gets to live with his decision. Subaru watches the forum to a point but contacting them is the best place to voice a complaint if its for "long term" benefit.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts