Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 Outback Trip A and Trip B linked somehow?

579 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  avenger09123
Hey there!

I recently picked up a 2013 Outback 6 speed manual with about 48k on it - I just noticed that my trip counters seemed to be linked somehow. I've always used Trip A for city driving, and Trip B for highway driving and monitor MPG etc that way. For instance in my '09 I could look at my city trip MPG and my highway trip MPG and they remained totally separate.

On the 2013 trip A and Trip B seem to be linked even when resetting to 0 and starting over; here's an example:

Trip A and Trip B both @ 0 Miles

Drive 10 Miles on Trip A and have never switched to Trip B but Trip B shows the exact same mileage.

So, kept Trip A at 10 miles and reset Trip B to 0 miles

Drive another 5 miles on Trip A, so Trip A reads 15 miles but now Trip B reads 5 miles.

I can include pictures if it helps -

Does anyone know how this is even possible? They are somehow linked and I can't figure out to make them independent - the manual doesn't seem to help at all and is fairly confusing with the A and B diagram, 1 off/1on setting etc.

Could this mean I need to bring it in to have the computer flashed or reset?

I'm super frustrated by this so any help would be welcome, THANKS!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
55 Posts
My hope is someone has the skinny on how to make the counters work as you want.

My 2011 trip counters have always worked that way both increment per mile based on when they were reset.

I use 1 for per tank info (A) that is reset when I fill the tank and the other (B) for long term mileage calculations like oil change or tire rotation OR if I am making the long haul trip. My wife's 2020 ascent works the same as well.

· Super Moderator
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
2,082 Posts
They are working as designed. The only time they might be the same is if you reset both to zero, otherwise they both increment. You might use them like this: Set both to 0. When you gas up, note A & calculate fuel economy. Reset to zero. Rinse & repeat. Eventually B tells you how far you've gone from the day you set it to zero. Use that for tire wear, oil changes, whatever. I can't recall what the digit count is, but if that's 5 expect B to roll over to zero when it gets beyond 99,999 miles or kilometers.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I t
They are working as designed. The only time they might be the same is if you reset both to zero, otherwise they both increment. You might use them like this: Set both to 0. When you gas up, note A & calculate fuel economy. Reset to zero. Rinse & repeat. Eventually B tells you how far you've gone from the day you set it to zero. Use that for tire wear, oil changes, whatever. I can't recall what the digit count is, but if that's 5 expect B to roll over to zero when it gets beyond 99,999 miles or kilometers.

I totally understand that, what I don't understand is why that functionality of them remaining separate (which would be far more useful) changed from 3rd gen to 4th gen. I would very much like to keep track of city miles vs. highway miles, A and B. So after 2009 Subaru decided that the driver needs to do their own MPG calculations from city to highway. Strange.

· Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,575 Posts
Ihavegad a Gen2, Gen3 and Gen4 vehicle and they all work as you have explained in the first post. When you reset to zero they increment from that reset.

Maybe you are mistaken in how you thought your previous vehicle worked?

Seagrass

Reactions: developed

· Super Moderator
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
2,082 Posts
I had an '09 Camry that worked just the same as I described. If you're correct about how yours used to work, then likely the only one who can tell you why it changed would be someone who works at Subaru. I think that the way you described it might be the better option, but haven't thought much about it.

they all work as you have explained in the first post. When you reset to zero they increment from that reset.
I'm not sure that's the point being made. I'm interpreting the topic as yes, they should both start at zero once set, but if I'm displaying A, B should not increment.

· Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,575 Posts
I had an '09 Camry that worked just the same as I described. If you're correct about how yours used to work, then likely the only one who can tell you why it changed would be someone who works at Subaru. I think that the way you described it might be the better option, but haven't thought much about it.

I'm not sure that's the point being made. I'm interpreting the topic as yes, they should both start at zero once set, but if I'm displaying A, B should not increment.
Every vehicle I have ever owned or driven that has a trip A and a trip B (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc) they both increment at the same time regardless of which trip was being displayed.

Seagrass

· Registered
12 Posts
All three odometers (Trip A, Trip B, and overall) always increment when you are driving - I've never owned a car that worked any other way. The way you're stating it, you'd expect the odometer not being shown to also not increment. And yet: The overall odometer (non-trip) always increments, whether it's displayed currently or not. Every Subaru I've owned works that way (including my 2011 Impreza and 2019 Outback). The only thing different between the three is that you can reset A or B (or both) to zero at any time, but the overall mileage always increments.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All three odometers (Trip A, Trip B, and overall) always increment when you are driving - I've never owned a car that worked any other way. The way you're stating it, you'd expect the odometer not being shown to also not increment. And yet: The overall odometer (non-trip) always increments, whether it's displayed currently or not. Every Subaru I've owned works that way (including my 2011 Impreza and 2019 Outback). The only thing different between the three is that you can reset A or B (or both) to zero at any time, but the overall mileage always increments.
I never said anything about the main odometer and I'm not asking for the main odometer reading to reset itself , that would be ridiculous - it obviously increments and is always shown regardless of the trip. If you're saying that they will both increment no matter what trip is being being displayed (A or B), and that all Subarus do this, how is it that I could drive my 2009 OB 2500 some odd miles on trip A and when I toggled to Trip B (with out resetting it) it still said 0.0 miles? You're saying that even though I was driving on t A, trip B should have shown an increase, which it did not. This 100% how my '09 functioned and I know I'm not mistaken,

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ihavegad a Gen2, Gen3 and Gen4 vehicle and they all work as you have explained in the first post. When you reset to zero they increment from that reset.

Maybe you are mistaken in how you thought your previous vehicle worked?

Seagrass
Hey Seagrass,

I understand that trip A would increase no matter what the number is if you're driving on Trip A, whether it starts at 0.0 mi or 1500 miles - of course it will increase. So if I'm driving on trip A, why should that have anything to do with trip B? On my '09 they remained totally separate. I would use trip A for city driving, lots of miles with pretty bad MPG avg. at like 18 then switch to trip B on the highway - also lots of miles but highway so more like 24 MPG avg. If they were linked in the way the 2013 is, the Trip A (city) MPG would drive the Trip B (highway) MPG WAY down. I'm positive that they weren't linked.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I guess I have to take you at your word. I'm just saying that in my experience, I've never had a car behave like you are describing, and I'm on my 6th Subaru since 1996, including two other Outbacks.
I still have the '09 until someone buys it, so when I have some time I'll reset the trips and see what happens. Yea man, I'm on my 4th Subie - perhaps the best one I ever had was a 1994 Loyale wagon, got me on 2 cross country trips and would gone forever if I wanted it to. Either way, I drove that '09 for the past 7 years and just starting to get used to this '13. 6 speed manual and feels like a subaru aside from that stupid put button parking brake. Lame!

· Registered
509 Posts
it would be funny if there is some choice setting for trip B that none of us have ever known about. I have driven a lot of vehicles and never experienced any operate the way OP 09 does. My 2014 has the instantaneous and average mpg display that i think you just push and hold the stalk button to reset, so if OP has that he can reset it for a highway trip. I think i remember there being a way to adjust the accuracy of that feature also. Mine was a little optomistic but perfect now with 3/16" taller tire.

· Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
548 Posts
I have never ever seen a vehicle where the odometer only accumulates miles when it’s displayed and I’ve been driving for 45 years. It is an interesting concept though and not too hard to implement I imagine.

Reactions: DoctorB

· Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,270 Posts
That would suck if only the trip meter that was displayed would increase as the car is driven. I also use Trip A for the miles on the current tank of fuel and Trip B for the miles since the last oil change. Having two trip meters would be completely useless to me if they didn't both increase all the time.

I also can't imagine trying to remember to switch trip meters back and forth every time I went from city to highway driving. Count me in as one who has never seen a vehicle operate in that manner.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have never ever seen a vehicle where the odometer only accumulates miles when it’s displayed and I’ve been driving for 45 years. It is an interesting concept though and not too hard to implement I imagine.
I think some are reading into this incorrectly - I have no interest in changing the odometer in any way whatsoever. I'm only talking about the Trip A and Trip B meters, which can be reset as needed. The main odometer is always displayed regardless!

· Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
365 Posts
I didn't read through everything but here's my take:

Odometer, Trip A and Trip B are always logging miles. You can view any of them but you can't stop them from logging miles. Selecting Trip A or Trip B is just which one you're watching, not stopping any of the others from logging miles.

I think all my vehicles have operated this way.

I can see why the other option was nice but now that you know it's not an option, there are other ways to log mpg.

· Registered
20,315 Posts
Trip A and Trip B both @ 0 Miles

Drive 10 Miles on Trip A and have never switched to Trip B but Trip B shows the exact same mileage.

So, kept Trip A at 10 miles and reset Trip B to 0 miles

Drive another 5 miles on Trip A, so Trip A reads 15 miles but now Trip B reads 5 miles.
That is exactly how my 07 works, and I'm quite certain, your 09 worked.

Each trip meter is always counting up miles when the car is moving. It doesn't matter if trip A or Trip B is selected for display; the one displayed and the one not displayed continue to count.

Each trip meter is reset to zero independently; there is no way to reset both in one step.

So, taking your example, if both are reading zero, and you drive 10 miles, both will read 10, regardless of which was selected for display.

When both read 10, If trip B is reset to zero, trip A will still be at 10.

Drive another 5 miles, and Trip B now reads 5, and trip A reads 15.

There is no way to separate them into city miles and country miles, or have one trip meter accumulate miles only, e.g., when it is selected for display and the other, not selected trip meter, remain at zero.

But one is zeroed at the start of a trip, its reading at the end would be correct for that trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts