Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, the trunk unlock function on my 2013 Subaru Outback just plain stopped working. I'd used it once to get something out of there, then when I came back an hour later, it refused to open after I hit the button on the key. The tail lights flashed and the double-beep sound went off but the button on the door failed to unlock anything. We tried the door unlock as well, the same thing happened.

It's still under warranty (purchased in October) so I'm not worried about that part but just wanted to check in here in case there is something simple I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Try to push it down first - maybe it did not close properly last time you closed it.
Then try to open it with your hand by touching the rubber sensor above the license plate - without using the key FOB. It might work! I never use key's buttons for anything. I open the doors by touch the inner side of driver's side door handle. I close doors by touching the square rubber button on front doors. That way you save power to your key remote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "push it down hard" method worked right after this initial post. Trunk was fine for a few weeks.

Then on the eve of our road trip, same thing happened. "Push it down hard" did not want to work.

Of course, I can always shove stuff through the back. Which may be necessary seeing that we're leaving in an hour. But still, a pain in the arse. Any other suggestions? Keep in mind that this was bought in Oct 2012.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Do you have a lot of luggage in the back of the car? I wonder if a strap or a piece of fabric may have gotten caught in the mechanism, causing it to not want to release. Is it making any sort of noise like it is unlatching? Can you hear a mechanical "click" noise when you try?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ACtually the only things in there right now are some reusable bags and a gym bag of emergency stuff (jumper cables, air pump, etc.)

There's no click when I hit the trunk button, but I never noticed one before. It does the customary light blink/beep, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We experienced exactly the same thing. The trunk door just won't open. It is on and off. It will get stucked for a whole, and then suddenly it can be opened. We brought car to the dealer, and they said that they can not do anything about it. Just wondering if you find out the reason and fix it?

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
We experienced exactly the same thing. The trunk door just won't open. It is on and off. It will get stucked for a whole, and then suddenly it can be opened. We brought car to the dealer, and they said that they can not do anything about it. Just wondering if you find out the reason and fix it?
What, exactly, did they suggest? Living with it? Buying a new car? That is just a ridiculous statement for them to make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What, exactly, did they suggest? Living with it? Buying a new car? That is just a ridiculous statement for them to make.
Hi our situation is a bit tricky. The situation happens on and off. When we arrived at the dealership, it doesn't happen again. So they told us there is nothing they can do. :(

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Hi our situation is a bit tricky. The situation happens on and off. When we arrived at the dealership, it doesn't happen again. So they told us there is nothing they can do. :(
Take a video of you standing behind the car and pushing the button which will show the lights flash and the horn beeps then walk up and try and open it, ask others to to also try and open it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a video of you standing behind the car and pushing the button which will show the lights flash and the horn beeps then walk up and try and open it, ask others to to also try and open it.
Hi Cobalt, thanks. That is a very good idea. I will try it when it happens again.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
subscribing because my WRX wagon does this sometimes.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium; CVT; Twilight Blue Metallic
29 Posts
This happened to us, not coincidentally it's gotten cold out. This is our third winter and we haven't had this problem before so I didn't think it was frozen. However, the "push down hard" then try worked. It had frozen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try to push it down first - maybe it did not close properly last time you closed it.
Then try to open it with your hand by touching the rubber sensor above the license plate - without using the key FOB. It might work! I never use key's buttons for anything. I open the doors by touch the inner side of driver's side door handle. I close doors by touching the square rubber button on front doors. That way you save power to your key remote.
I I have a 2012 outback it doesn’t have a way to open except using a screw driver in the opening Can you help

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,304 Posts
@Elizabeth V

Can you elaborate on your screwdriver method?

Can you hear the motor in the door moving if you use the button on the lift gate? Anything clicking?

If you are able, when you get the hatch open, removing the paneling will allow you to see down to the latch. There are plastic levers that get loose or brake and this prevents the latch from being moved by the motor.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0L
25 Posts
A similar problem occurred with our 2006 Outback rear latch. I don't know whether the design has carried over to later models, but the latch release mechanism in ours operates through a metal cable like a bicycle brake or shift cable that comes detached at one end due to deformation of the member to which it is fastened. We opened ours from the inside using a screwdriver to actuate the latch, removed the rear door panel, corrected the deformation (which will recur in time, it's too soft), re-anchored the cable and "safety wired" it in position for good measure. Review the procedure for removing the inner panel, there's a methodical way to accomplish this but done wrong and it's likely to be damaged - don't force anything and support it against the door to avoid stressing it as it's anchors are removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tonight, the trunk unlock function on my 2013 Subaru Outback just plain stopped working. I'd used it once to get something out of there, then when I came back an hour later, it refused to open after I hit the button on the key. The tail lights flashed and the double-beep sound went off but the button on the door failed to unlock anything. We tried the door unlock as well, the same thing happened.

It's still under warranty (purchased in October) so I'm not worried about that part but just wanted to check in here in case there is something simple I'm missing.
Hi, did you ever find out what was wrong with it? I just bought my used 2013 Outback 2-1/2 weeks ago. Today I experienced the exact same thing you did: I had gone to the store, put the groceries in the back using the liftgate, then when I got home, I couldn't open the liftgate. I tried everything, including what people have suggested here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts