Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought brand new off the lot 2013 Outback 2 weeks ago, 4th day driving check engine light comes on as well as other warning lights!!!! 1st the dealer's shop says computer issue, and reboot was done, I drive it home to have same lights come on again!!!! Back in shop for 2nd time, now awaiting a part for 4 days now, transmission part they say???? I haven't read any mention about glitches like this, maybe too new, maybe rare
what do you think, car has 700 miles on it, have owned it for 11 days, and have been at the shop for 5 days. :(

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
First 25K is called the electronics honeymoon by all makers that is why you get a standard 36K warranty on pretty much any car today.

No big deal if electronic stuff that has a flaw bothers you stick to horses.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That sucks buddy! When I bought mine, I couldn't drive it home because one of the inside cabin lights was flickering so they had to take it apart to remedy it, they assured me that I was going to be able to pick it up next day. While taking out the roof rack, they noticed that they had scratch some paint from the roof. They called me and informed me that they had to repaint it, so off to the body shop it went. I waited 8 days to get my girl, but it was worth it.

Hope they find the problem soon and fix it man!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Stuff Happens :D just let them fix it and move on. Had a 1995 Volvo and the electric transmission shifting device quit working at 800 miles. They replaced the part and had no other issues with the car for 150K.

·
Registered
16,962 Posts
I haven't owned many brand-new cars, but each one had 1 or more 'infant mortality' failures. (rattle in trunk 'flap' on 78 Honda, optical distortion in '81 Honda windshield, rear quarter window motors in '96 Ford van, parking brake on 06 WRX, evap code/CEL on the 03 Outback, ....)

Also, it isn't uncommon nowadays for 2-4 or more lights to come on when even some error that's fairly minor is detected by the computer.

factory error, mishandling in shipment, mistake by the dealer, etc. Any one of these could be responsible.

see if you can post more specifics about what failed.

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Every manufacturer has some issues with a new build when changes were made over the prior year(s). You, unfortunately, are the test pilot. Until the cars are put on the road and driven, the glitches don't show up. Could be others out there just like yours. This is where the TSBs come from and Subaru is the best at keeping the technician informed of issues that arise no matter how small.

The only thing that lacks good solid information is their wiring diagrams.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is disappointing but electronics can be that way. I've had a few new cars and they have all needed something minor. Actually, so far, this OB has been the exception. I bought new and thus far (only 3600 miles), nothing has caused me to take it back accept the break-in 3000 mile oil change. I'm knocking on wood.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Problems happen, even on new cars. Sucks for sure, but they happen.
Just make sure they give you a loaner...

·
Registered
32 Posts
bought brand new off the lot 2013 Outback 2 weeks ago, 4th day driving check engine light comes on as well as other warning lights!!!! 1st the dealer's shop says computer issue, and reboot was done, I drive it home to have same lights come on again!!!! Back in shop for 2nd time, now awaiting a part for 4 days now, transmission part they say???? I haven't read any mention about glitches like this, maybe too new, maybe rare
what do you think, car has 700 miles on it, have owned it for 11 days, and have been at the shop for 5 days. :(
Have our new 3.6 OB for 2 months now. So far Moonroof had to be serviced due to jams and now tranny is acting up........very similar problem that the 2011/12 OB had with sudden lurching forward and rough downshifting from 2 to 1st gear. Of course I need to wait for it to get worse before going to service because at this point I'll get the "nothing is wrong" response from dealership. I've owned many, many new cars over the last 20 years (GM being the absolute worse) but at nearly $36K I certainly didn't expect tranny issues. However, electronic issues (in my experiences) happen soon after vehicle manufacturing and are usually quickly resolved. Remember to document everything (paper trail - if you will) when it comes to dealerships just in case your electronic issue continues. Good luck!

·
Registered
829 Posts

Thats got to be very frustrating, and kind of ruins the "new car" feeling.
HOWEVER, it doesnt mean you have a bad car. This can happen to any new car.
You will find plenty of stories of things that happen to GOOD new cars.
Here are mine:

1. Bought a brand new Toyota Tercel in 94. (ok to be fair, this was MY fault but.. it was crushing right after buying my first brand new car.)
I was driving down from the mountains in a snow/rain storm in traffic, and ran over a big chunk of snow that was actually a large rock in disguise - that the couple cars in front of me went over fine. I did over 6000 dollars of damage to the underside of the car a month after getting it - including transmission replacement, fuel tank, and more.
That car served me well for 224,000 miles and many other trips to the mountains in winter. :)
2. My 2003 brand new Outback Limited, within 5 to 6K miles had a clutch issue and needed to have it replaced, and I went through 4 CD changers that all ate my CDs and wouldnt give them back before 10,000. I finally tore the last one out (and took it apart to get my CDS then smashed it and bought an after market that never ate anything.
That Outback has now reached 240K and was a GREAT car despite those early frustrating issues.

This isnt necessarily a glimpse of things to come. Its probably more common then you will ever know. I was told that the CD changer was NEVER known to eat CDS - even after 3 different units did - and only WAY later did I hear something about Subaru having an issue with them.

Good luck and dont get down on your car yet!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
New Cars

Could also be the place, where cars are being assembled nowadays. In my 40-some years (buying and leasing new cars) I found that new cars being assembled outside the U.S. are prone to have less "initial" problems than those, assembled here. My personal experience though....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Look up you state lemon law. Usually there is a certain number of repairs, (sometimes refereed to as a 'reasonable number of repair attempts' in the legislation) after which they need to replace with a different new vehicle or give you your money back.

Good luck and sorry to hear this!

Tom

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
15 Participants
Saint J VT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing