Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have searched the forum but cannot seem to find a way to connect my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone to my 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium via the USB port. It works fine via bluetooth.
I get a "check device" message via the USB port, although when I tested a friends IPod it worked as expected via the USB port.
Is there some setting I have missed on my Samsung phone, or is it just not compatable?
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
I dont think the USB port is setup to work like that.

I m pretty sure it has to have a Mass storage device or Ipod hooked up.

Blue-Tooth is not too shabby these days though, I would consider it a viable alternative.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Maybe your phone needs to be in USB debugging mode? Or try switching the USB settings around on your phone. Just talking out my arse mostly, it may not be compatible to work like that. Good luck though!

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I might have different controls with Limited and EyeSight but even with that USB doesn't give the full function that Bluetooth does, and once you have Bluetooth paired the system streams phone content that way.

There are a few manuals with my car, some for specific options, but the capabilities and instructions to all seem to be there so I suggest the documentation for your model too.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,061 Posts
Many (most, all?) Android devices aren't set up to do audio-out over USB, if that's what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
2013 Graphite Grey Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT with All-Weather / Moonroof
7 Posts
I have a GS2 also, and I've found out it's easiest to just use bluetooth. I always just plug it it to keep it charged as well.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Android and USB don't work that well. I wanted to do this too and gave up. USB is designed for Iphone and USB drives only. Even then you have to do some file work to get the drive to work right.

Bluetooth is the pain free way to hook up your phone to your car for calls and music.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings,
Thanks to all for the replies.
This past weekend I set up the Samsung Galaxy S2 as a mass storage device and the USB port did work. (Setting >wireless and network>USB utilities>connect)
However, I could not view the playlist or info on the phone screen while it was connected. All the functionality of the Subaru stock radio did work when connected.
I may play around with it some more, but for now it looks like I'm back to Bluetooth.
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
Eh, for what it's worth I hooked up my iPhone 4S one time via USB, worked beautifully (charged/played music/displayed artists) then it NEVER worked again. Was told it was not a supported device (look in your owners manual, there's a list..a VERY small list of compatible devices). It's really geared towards a USB mass storage device or iPods. Kind of sucks coming from a VW- a company with its issues no doubt, but with far far superior electronics integration, streaming, interfaces, etc. If I could somehow get that with Subaru reliability, I'd be golden...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Eh, for what it's worth I hooked up my iPhone 4S one time via USB, worked beautifully (charged/played music/displayed artists) then it NEVER worked again. Was told it was not a supported device (look in your owners manual, there's a list..a VERY small list of compatible devices). It's really geared towards a USB mass storage device or iPods. Kind of sucks coming from a VW- a company with its issues no doubt, but with far far superior electronics integration, streaming, interfaces, etc. If I could somehow get that with Subaru reliability, I'd be golden...
This is just speculation but maybe take a look in iTunes and see if you can enable the USB mass storage setting. I vaguely remember it being available at least on my iPod - not sure about my Iphone.

I am curious now and want to see how well mine works. I have an Iphone 4(non-S)

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
This is just speculation but maybe take a look in iTunes and see if you can enable the USB mass storage setting. I vaguely remember it being available at least on my iPod - not sure about my Iphone.

I am curious now and want to see how well mine works. I have an Iphone 4(non-S)
The 4 and 4S should be pretty much the same when accessed over USB by the head unit. The iPhones work by using the same protocol the iPods do, and assuming you have the same firmware version on both the 4 and 4S, will behave the same.

I've used it a couple times over USB with my iPhone 4, but mostly use bluetooth. My phone is also my PND and needs a 1A charger when I have nav running to stay charged. No issues when I have.

However, there is a quirk in the head unit that if you want to use USB for an iPhone, do not pair it over bluetooth too. Turn bluetooth on the phone off or something. The head unit sees that your bluetooth audio is playing and pauses it every time you go to play music over USB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts