Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Outback has what sounds like a vibration in the roof area. Usually starts around 70mph or so. Everything seems tight in the roof rails (which are not extended across the roof) with the exception of a little play in the pieces that can connect across the roof if so desired. I have compared the "play" to other Outbacks and there is no more than any other new one on the dealer lot. Does anybody else have this problem? Sometimes it can be pretty annoying. Maybe the noise is coming from elsewhere, but it sounds like the roof area. If I push on the windows to see if they are vibrating nothing changes. Suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2013 Outback has what sounds like a vibration in the roof area. Usually starts around 70mph or so. Everything seems tight in the roof rails (which are not extended across the roof) with the exception of a little play in the pieces that can connect across the roof if so desired. I have compared the "play" to other Outbacks and there is no more than any other new one on the dealer lot. Does anybody else have this problem? Sometimes it can be pretty annoying. Maybe the noise is coming from elsewhere, but it sounds like the roof area. If I push on the windows to see if they are vibrating nothing changes. Suggestions?

Anybody???

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Just a thought, my rear center seat belt rattles in the roof when it is disengaged and retracted into the roof. if it isn't already, pull it down and lock in position to try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interceptor17,

Did you ever find a fix for this vibration? I have the exact same problem...it only happens at higher speeds or on days with really high wind gusts (which for me is like every afternoon on my drive home from work). It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have it. Trying to hold off on going to the dealer until it needs an oil change. But it still makes me nuts. I can find nothing with anymore play in it than any other Outback I have checked. Let me know if you find out what it is please.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited SAP
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Only at high speeds (usually 70+) and worse when it is windy. Dealer could not reproduce the noise as he could not legally drive 70 mph. Love the car, expect for this noise. If you find a solution, please share.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same issue. Only at high speeds (usually 70+) and worse when it is windy. Dealer could not reproduce the noise as he could not legally drive 70 mph. Love the car, expect for this noise. If you find a solution, please share.
I'm do for a service in about a month at the rate I'm going. Will see what they say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Got the car serviced. Dealer claimed to tighten everything in the roof rack. Noise is gone. They must have had to really crank down on the screws in the luggage rack cross beams. Either way, I'm happy.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
Glad to hear your issue has been resolved. I just wonder how they got that loose in such a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Glad to hear your issue has been resolved. I just wonder how they got that loose in such a short period of time.
Roof rack/cross bars come pretty "loose" from the assembly line. I had to re-tighten them as well, when I first got my car last August. Those robotics that install them need re-calibration probably more than once a year.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
10 Posts
I tried tightening the wife's but didn't want to break them, they were pretty **** tight as it was. The issue I see with the flip out cross bars is the locking mechanism, there is no positive force applied when it is locked down. I took a piece of high density foam with sticky on one side an applied it a couple of inches down from the latch area. It was just high enough to touch the arm before it would lock in. This provides some positive up force and keeps everything nice and quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interceptor17,

Did you ever find a fix for this vibration? I have the exact same problem...it only happens at higher speeds or on days with really high wind gusts (which for me is like every afternoon on my drive home from work). It's driving me nuts.
Did you resolve your issue? I have a noise also about 65mph and up. sounds from the rear but worse when windy out. 2013 Outback

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Didn't think it was down under the car--but it was! There is a "flimsy" heat shield mounted just forward the rear end above the exhaust. It is mounted to the body by 2 bolts. It was "vibrating" the noise as it caught the wind. I just "flexed" it toward the body to keep it from flexing so easily. Problem SOLVED!

·
Registered
2013 Outback; 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS Wagon
3 Posts
I'm in Canada, have the same problem at 80km/h (50mph). It's the most annoying thing about an otherwise awesome car. I've had it in at the dealer, they say they can't replicate it (yet, every other person who drives in the car with me asks what 'that' noise is).

I've tried taping over the gaps under the leading edge of the roof rack, noise is still present. I've tried it with racks across the car, as well as in folded back position, still noisy.

Interestingly though, I did have a loaner outback from the dealer in which the noise wasn't present. This car did not have a sunroof though. Does everyone else with this complaint have a sunroof?

·
Registered
2013 Outback; 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS Wagon
3 Posts
Update....finally was able to replicate the noise with a Subaru service manager riding with me. They believe the noise is coming from the driver side roof rail and are ordering a replacement. I suspect either loose screws, or something internal to the rail assembly, but right now they are throwing parts at it. Interesting though, my loaner is a 2015 Outback, no sunroof but the same roof rails. In this car I hear it on the passenger side. This noise is heavily dependent on wind direction/speed and vehicle speed...very tough one to catch!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts