Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
own a 2019 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2013 Outback for 6 months. The wiper blades have been replaced twice due to streaking. Currently on normal dry driving or light rain they are okay. My problem is at night in a hard rain. With oncoming traffic headlights hitting my windshield, I cannot see. It looks like white streaking. It is scary to drive. It is not inside only outside. Any suggestions to correct?
For the replies I have seen: I have never used rain X. That is not the issue. Can anyone address this problem? Is it the wiper blades? Is it the windshield? Is it the wiper arm?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Window Wiper blades get hard over time and even "New" blades which have sat in a warehouse for a year can be just as bad as the prior blades you just replaced.

Not a big deal to just tell the dealer these blades are just as bad lets try another set.

By the way the best blades I've ever had on my cars were bought on a whim at a local shop and have been so nice I put them on our other two cars. I haven't seen any since the fall given they were probably seasonal production etc.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
If you put rain-X on front windshield that is when they will streak... don't ever put rain-X on front or rear glass, where you have rubber wipers... rain-x is the worst thing you can put there... after many years of research rain-x isn't that great in those areas. As you may recall, the guy, who invented and patented that product sold the company and his patent to some multinational corporation. It's bad for your car... in my experience and my opinion.
If you want water (to bead) or ice off, use a quality aircraft window cleaner and protectant - there are many (and better) products in the aviation industry!

This is what I use:

http://www.skygeek.com/aviation-lab...aign=froogle&gclid=CPi1_Ovq1LYCFQFx4AodYUgA1g

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I used rain-x many years ago, when it was introduced here in the States. Then years ago I tried to introduce and market rain-x exclusively in EU. I sent a sample to German lab and based on their findings, I stopped using it. I am glad I did!
Again, this is/was my experience and my opinion. Others may find it OK - that's fine. I don't use it anymore.....

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The general idea is a film that smooths out the surface imperfections giving rain droplets little to nothing to attach too etc. It's not a big jump to assume that film on the glass could create streaking and other problems with wipers running over it etc.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The general idea is a film that smooths out the surface imperfections giving rain droplets little to nothing to attach too etc. It's not a big jump to assume that film on the glass could create streaking and other problems with wipers running over it etc.
Yep - and that is exactly, what is causing the "streaking"....that stuff is nearly impossible to take it off, once applied. You have to wait 3 to 6 months and it goes off on its own....

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I have been using Rain X and love it starting back somewhere around 1980 and never had any streaking problems because of it, the secret to getting the best results is after you apply it with a paper towel take a clean cotton shop rag and hand buff the window until all haze is gone.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where we can get rain or drizzle 7 days a week for an entire month and with Rain X applied many times I don't even need to turn the wipers on if I'm doing over 35mph because the water just blows right off, I also used it on all the work trucks and especially the windows of our cranes because pulling levers when you can't see through water droplets can get an employee messed up fast

On the other hand the Rain X washer fluid is garbage in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Cobalt: If you check other forums (Audi, Benz, Nissan, Honda, VW), quite a few folks are complaining about rain-x - they get "blurry" windshield at night, fogging front windshield from outside, build-up road grease, streaking issue and a number of other issues. If it works for you - fine. Here in FL, where we have down pours quite often, its completely useless - in my opinion. I use aviation product as described above.

·
Registered
own a 2019 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never used Rain X. That is not my issue. My Outback is only 6 months old. Can anyone address the streaking in a hard rain. Is is the wiper blades? Is it the windshield? Is it the wiper arm?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have never used Rain X. That is not my issue. My Outback is only 6 months old. Can anyone address the streaking in a hard rain. Is is the wiper blades? Is it the windshield? Is it the wiper arm?
Blades you need a set that haven't been baked in a hot storage shed for a year.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You could try hitting up the dealership for new wipers. Even with heavy use they should last about a year. If your windshield is very dirty you'll want to try to clean it off before running your wipers. Give it a once over with a squeegee if you notice it's covered in bugs and grime. Not doing this can wear down your blades faster.

I've never had Rain-X kill my blades. I use their washer fluid. Nothing beats a good set of blades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts