Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Outback Premium?

I've never owned a Subaru. New to the forum. I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Outback premium. Seems to be a very solid car. Looking for a little advise though.

Car has 120,000 miles 2.5i engine. Air conditioner doesn't work. Dealer said they will fix it. Car has had one owner. Car was originally purchased form the dealership that is currently selling it. Was also maintained there. I like that this engine has the timing chain. Any issues, concerns or red flags about this vehicle that I need to know about? I've read about the oil consumption issues. How do I know this is not one of those cars? Any feedback at all would be wonderful

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've never owned a Subaru. New to the forum. I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Outback premium. Seems to be a very solid car. Looking for a little advise though.

Car has 120,000 miles 2.5i engine. Air conditioner doesn't work. Dealer said they will fix it. Car has had one owner. Car was originally purchased form the dealership that is currently selling it. Was also maintained there. I like that this engine has the timing chain. Any issues, concerns or red flags about this vehicle that I need to know about? I've read about the oil consumption issues. How do I know this is not one of those cars? Any feedback at all would be wonderful.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,400 Posts

Car has 120,000 miles 2.5i engine. Air conditioner doesn't work. Dealer said they will fix it. Car has had one owner. Car was originally purchased form the dealership that is currently selling it. Was also maintained there. I like that this engine has the timing chain. Any issues, concerns or red flags about this vehicle that I need to know about? I've read about the oil consumption issues. How do I know this is not one of those cars? Any feedback at all would be wonderful.
My '13 2.5 Premium has just under half those miles and is chugging along just fine.

VIN number ranges for oil consumption are online ins a couple places. I'm too lazy to Google that right now. Search on this forum or online for "subaru outback excessive oil consumption vin" or something like that. Subaru did extend the warranty for excessive oil consumption on those VINs, but only until the 100k mile limit, so the vehicle you are looking at won't be covered anyway. At least you can know if it's in an affected VIN range, though. Mine is one that's covered, but mine does not burn oil. You'll be required to use full synthetic oil.

And I'm in the process of getting the electronic parking brake replaced.

If the dealer has been servicing it, they should be able to tell you that the every 30k (brake fluid) and every 60k (spark plugs) have been changed. At 120k, it should be due for both those again. You might be able to negotiate those services while they are working on the A/C. (I'm going from memory on the 30/60k items.) Somewhere in there the coolant should be changed, too, so it might be due or overdue. Find a copy of the service intervals and check off everything that should have been done or is due and see what you can find out.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Threads merged.

1 thread per issue please, no cross posting.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,402 Posts
That one almost has a gift bow tied on it.
Ask the dealer for the full service record. If there was an oil burning issue and it was tested, it will show up in the record.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
To me a dealer selling a car they originally sold is a grab it and run arrangement. If the selling dealer is willing to both take the car in trade and put it on the lot to sell, they have the faith in it and feel it is a good vehicle. Make your best deal and buy the car! We bought our '11 new and it bumping into 90K with ZERO issues and nothing more than regular maintenance. If I were to get another car it would be another Subaru Outback, but since we bought this one as our "last" car I have no plans to make any changes! Maybe when it hits 250K I may revisit the idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts