Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2013 sight-unseen Outback 900 miles away. 64k miles, {in the rare Brilliant Brown Pearl, w/ saddle brown leather} etc, almost mint condition, however after receiving I discovered the radio is emitting a low tone noise occasionally. For a few days it would come and go and eventually I brought it to the Subaru dealer and they told me that the 'amp' in the dash has gone bad and they could replace it for $650{ugh}. Been looking online at replacement units for less than 1/2 that and figure can just do it myself.

Been dealing with the noise for about 2 months now because I learned that giving the dash a hefty thump makes the tone shut off temporarily, but whenever I take off or make sharp turn, hit bumps, it'll turn on again, meaning there must be something lose internally that causing the noise to be intermittent and shutting off when I thump the dash. However, I think thumping the dash so much has caused whatever to loosen more and its occurring more often, plus {a few times last few days} the screen just doesn't turn on sometimes or goes black and resets occasionally.

The question though, is the 'amp' the dealer mentioned built into the head unit, so would replacing that fix the problem!?

Also, I've been looking at the aftermarket 9"-10" screen with video playback etc, and more options. Am considering one cause I work delivery and sit in my car for extended hours every night, would be nice to have video to watch stuff. Has anyone used one of these aftermarket units, feedback? Lastly, while looking at comments on some of these aftermarket units, some say doesn't work with Harmon Kardon speakers, why would that matter? {isnt a speaker a speaker?}

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
17 Posts
if you are planning on replacing you might want to pull the radio just to see if all the connections are tight, and under the passenger seat should be the amp check it’s connections too. It won’t cost you anything and should confirm the wiring. If you have a wire grounding it will transfer to a new radio. There is a site listed in the second post on this thread Wiring diagram for stock radio. Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are planning on replacing you might want to pull the radio just to see if all the connections are tight, and under the passenger seat should be the amp check it’s connections too. It won’t cost you anything and should confirm the wiring. If you have a wire grounding it will transfer to a new radio. There is a site listed in the second post on this thread Wiring diagram for stock radio. Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information.
thanks for link, but as for the wiring, already had the dealer spend 2 hours checking all the wiring and connections and they said it was the amp in the dash was bad. If the amp is separate from the radio, then great I need to replace both, ugh.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5l Premium / CVT
1 Posts
Recently purchased a 2013 sight-unseen Outback 900 miles away. 64k miles, {in the rare Brilliant Brown Pearl, w/ saddle brown leather} etc, almost mint condition, however after receiving I discovered the radio is emitting a low tone noise occasionally. For a few days it would come and go and eventually I brought it to the Subaru dealer and they told me that the 'amp' in the dash has gone bad and they could replace it for $650{ugh}. Been looking online at replacement units for less than 1/2 that and figure can just do it myself.

Been dealing with the noise for about 2 months now because I learned that giving the dash a hefty thump makes the tone shut off temporarily, but whenever I take off or make sharp turn, hit bumps, it'll turn on again, meaning there must be something lose internally that causing the noise to be intermittent and shutting off when I thump the dash. However, I think thumping the dash so much has caused whatever to loosen more and its occurring more often, plus {a few times last few days} the screen just doesn't turn on sometimes or goes black and resets occasionally.

The question though, is the 'amp' the dealer mentioned built into the head unit, so would replacing that fix the problem!?

Also, I've been looking at the aftermarket 9"-10" screen with video playback etc, and more options. Am considering one cause I work delivery and sit in my car for extended hours every night, would be nice to have video to watch stuff. Has anyone used one of these aftermarket units, feedback? Lastly, while looking at comments on some of these aftermarket units, some say doesn't work with Harmon Kardon speakers, why would that matter? {isnt a speaker a speaker?}
Contact Crutchfield Corp. Just received my new system for my new/used 2011. About the 6 or 7th car I have upgraded the stereo system and usually under $300 bucks for a nice system. Of course you can spend all kinds of money depending on what you are looking for, but their advisors dont try to upsell you constantly. Tell them what you are looking to achieve and they will give you great suggestions and guidance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts