Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT Premium, Silver Ice
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear ended in a parking lot a few weeks ago. It's really frustrating as my car was a little over a month old.

I took the car to the most reputable shop I could find who used OEM parts.

They replaced the cover, but there is noticeable overspray in the black plastic section below the painted cover.

I felt sick when I picked the car up, I noticed it immediately. They are going to "make it right" but I'm highly concerned it won't be as it was before accident.

Is there anything anyone can recommend in repairing the cover to original spec? I realize its a one piece part, so taping is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
IMO the overspray could be rubbed off or easily rattle canned black if I didn't want to deal with the shop anymore unless other issues needed to be addressed. Hopefully the "reputable" shop used the correct bumper paint and not regular paint.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
aggrex, can't really "rattle-can" it, it's a textured section and would look WORSE.

I had the EXACT same issue when I picked up my 2011 after a rear-end collision repair, there were other issues with the paint job on the bumper (tiger stripe) that caused me to refuse delivery until it was right. The comment made when I picked it up the next day was that Subaru actually has a specific taping method for that area, it wasn't followed the first time. It CAN be done right, you just have to force them to do so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The comment made when I picked it up the next day was that Subaru actually has a specific taping method for that area, it wasn't followed the first time. It CAN be done right, you just have to force them to do so.
Yeah, I'm really not happy and upset about it. The shop is one of the best in the SF Bay area, according to many sources and the type of vehicles they specialize in repairing. Maybe everyone who cared about doing a good job was off last week... I will not accept the repair unless it is perfect.

Here are the issues:

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Seeing those pictures, they did a nice job matching the paint but they need a second chance to make the tape line and top corners right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seeing those pictures, they did a nice job matching the paint but they need a second chance to make the tape line and top corners right.
Agreed. Paint match was spot on.

Hope they get the rest right!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
88 Posts
Hope they don't undo a pretty good paint match while getting rid of the overage and puddling.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
As in the other thread the tape line is hidious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As in the other thread the tape line is hidious.
That it is, I noticed it immediately when I went to pick up the car. I will not accept the car until the paint line looks like the original. At this point I rather have the damaged bumper on the car.

·
Registered
'13 OB 2.5i Limited
52 Posts
Just went through the same thing when mine was rear ended. New bumper cover put on my 2013 by Classic Subaru in Atlanta. Mine was done perfect the first time. Tip o' the hat to Classic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went through the same thing when mine was rear ended. New bumper cover put on my 2013 by Classic Subaru in Atlanta. Mine was done perfect the first time. Tip o' the hat to Classic.
Good to hear it can be done, they are "fixing" it now... We'll see, I will accept nothing short of perfect on a 2 month old car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts