Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on some threads that the 2013 Outback has the same rear view mirror as some higher end cars i.e. Lexus. My gears were turning today and was thinking...if the Lexus has a front and rear camera for a full surround view in the mirror monitor, could the Outback be upgraded to include a front camera as well? This would help with parking as well as safety. Seems like it would be an easy upgrade?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Though I didn't try too hard when I installed my aftermarket radio to find the signal wires at the mirror for the rear camera, the mirror doesn't seem to offer a secondary input. You could break down the signal wire for the back up camera, add a splitter, front camera and manually switch between. Or you can do the simple thing and get a upper end Kenwood that offers a front and rear camera input. I know it's much more expensive but much easier than the hassle of what I listed above.

As a side note, I've not used the front camera input but I plan on fab'ing up a bracket and mounting a camera so that I can keep tabs on my daughter in the back seat. No more mirror into mirror to see what she is doing in her car seat!!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also saw a square "plug" on the front bumper similar to the plugs you see on base model cars inside the car for power door locks etc, so I wonder if there is a harness in there for a camera. I will do some research. It could be a port for a giant "laser"...channeling Austin Powers

·
Registered
2013, not the one with a V6, the V4 model
84 Posts
I also saw a square "plug" on the front bumper similar to the plugs you see on base model cars inside the car for power door locks etc, so I wonder if there is a harness in there for a camera. I will do some research. It could be a port for a giant "laser"...channeling Austin Powers
Behind that thing is where you screw in the tow hook.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
How would you mount it where it doesn't get road grime or bugs?
Yes. I installed one on my 300C when I put an SRT8 bumper on it so I wouldn't accidentally smack the lip when pulling into parking spots (not really a concern with the OB). But it will get dirty with rain, snow, or a well placed bug.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I installed one on my 300C when I put an SRT8 bumper on it so I wouldn't accidentally smack the lip when pulling into parking spots (not really a concern with the OB). But it will get dirty with rain, snow, or a well placed bug.
I haven't thought about that. With the wet snowy winter we are expecting here probably not a great idea

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Meh, just keep a wet wipe handy. I also put a little extra silicone around the camera edges just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts