Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering the remote start option when I purchase (next couple months). Some people here have discussed the remote start and how the engine cuts off when the door is opened.

Is this true for the 2013? I have never owned or even operated a remote start but isnt the point that you start it when you are still outside the car? So...if you start it, then open the door to get in the car, it shuts off?

Can someone clarify for me how this actually works?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,061 Posts
Well, the point is that you start it and let it run for 5-10 minutes to warm the engine and warm/cool the interior. Yes, it seems pointless to kill the engine when a door is opened, and I can not confirm if that's still how it works in the 2013.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
It's still true for 2013. You wouldn't want somebody taking off in your nice cozy warm car would you.:rolleyes: It's a safety feature--like it or don't.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's still true for 2013. You wouldn't want somebody taking off in your nice cozy warm car would you.:rolleyes: It's a safety feature--like it or don't.
fair enough. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My old forester had an aftermarket remote start when I bought it. You could do whatever you wanted to the car while it was remote-started, except put it in drive or depress the brake, which would shut it off if the key wasn't then put into the ignition. That seems like a much more practical/logical safety feature than killing the engine when the door is opened.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
It's true but it is a good option even for L.A. OBnube nailed it corretly - it's a safety issue. If you remote start your car (say in East L.A. or somewhere in Carson) you don't want somebody else to get in and drive off, right!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R
1 Posts
It is still true for my 2013 Outback. I would have never purchased the remote start had I known. In every other car I've had, touching the brake or putting the vehicle in gear without a key kills the engine, which makes so much more sense. (My Outback still has a key.)

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I don't get the "someone driving off" excuse. You can't put the car in drive without the ignition switch being on and pressing the brake. The previous remote oem remote start (my parents both have them on their '09 and '11 Forester) allow you to open the door and remain running if you insert the key and turn it on first. If you hit the brake before inserting the key, it kills the engine. Eliminating the ability to drive off with the car.

I just had one installed on my OB. It's aggrevating and something I wish I could change, but the car is still warm when you open the door.

I'm sure it's a safety feature of some sort, but I just don't understand it and haven't hear a logical reason yet.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I don't get the "someone driving off" excuse. You can't put the car in drive without the ignition switch being on and pressing the brake. The previous remote oem remote start (my parents both have them on their '09 and '11 Forester) allow you to open the door and remain running if you insert the key and turn it on first. If you hit the brake before inserting the key, it kills the engine. Eliminating the ability to drive off with the car.

I just had one installed on my OB. It's aggrevating and something I wish I could change, but the car is still warm when you open the door.

I'm sure it's a safety feature of some sort, but I just don't understand it and haven't hear a logical reason yet.
In East L.A. they can "bypass" that... they can start any car anytime without keys, push buttons or any type of security! LOL

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In East L.A. they can "bypass" that... they can start any car anytime without keys, push buttons or any type of security! LOL
They why does it matter if you have the remote start activated? If they can bypass the ignition, then they can just start the car anytime, regardless of remote starter operation :confused:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Remote start comes activated on 2013 models with that option. There is no need to "have it activated"...there is no "driving off excuse" then ... actually, there is no excuse. Not sure what the point is here...the way the remote start is designed is for "whatever safety" reasons then... not sure, why some people complain about the engine shut off, when the door is open...It may have been "logical" for design engineers and focus groups, when that item was originally designed. I personally like that feature and if some don't, that's their problem...LOL

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
I'm not a fan of the remote start to begin with since I'm a proponent of warming the car up while getting fluids moving (i.e., start the car and immediately drive off, while NOT high revving until engine and oil temperature are up).

The fact that remote start on the OB cuts off a nearly cold engine only to be started again seconds later makes it even less appealing IMHO.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Very few vehicles don't have remote start up our way. It's pretty much a necessity unless you want frostbite.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
So are there any decent aftermarket options for remote starts? I don't want an alarm lumped in there, I just want to start my **** car without the motor getting killed when I open the door.

·
Registered
383 Posts
A popular brand here is "Autostart". Make sure you find a good installer. There are many places that do hack jobs which can cause you warranty issues if they start screwing up your electrical/ control module.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Near as I can tell, there aren't any installers around here.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wonder if disconnecting your door switch would allow you to open the door and turn the ignition on without killing the car? Maybe a test would be to use remote start while in car, then try your key in the ignition.

While not ideal, and you'd lose dome light operation, it could be a solution for those cold cold mornings...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Of all the aftermarket and OEM car starters up here , this is the first I have seen that is deactivated by the door. All of them are connected to brake/clutch/ignition, etc. so if you tried to move without key then it would shut down. That way when you start your car and then head outside to find the windows still iced you can sit in it for a minute while it clears without having to restart. Subaru's idea is just weird, but oh Well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts