Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback SAP BBP with Body Side Moulding, Rear Heated Seats, Hitch, All Weather Mats & Rear Seat Protectors.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 SAP used to have a delay at a specific point during hands-free NAVIGATION operation that now (after 2 months) results in a complete freeze of the NAV system every single time.

When I took it to the dealer today, they ended up testing another SAP on the lot and it ALSO hesitated at the exact same point.

I am trying to determine if this is a problem on all SAP models, or a huge coincidence that two on the same lot both have the problem.

If you own a 2013 SAP - if you could please follow the steps below and post whether your SAP has either a delay or complete freeze up. (To clear the freeze you turn car off)

Here are the steps that lead to the delay / freeze:

Press hands-free "face" button

At NAV's prompts:
Choose (vocally) "Navigation"

Choose "Destination"

Choose "Address"

Say House Number

Say a Street Name

When NAV gives a list of addresses in the current town,
Say "CHANGE CITY"

When NAV says "Say City and State" this is the point where my NAV freezes. Sometimes she speaks / sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes the screen turns green / sometimes it doesn't. It used to hesitate for 20-30 seconds - now it locks up completely. It also used to happen more consistently while the car was moving vice sitting still (but now doesn't matter).

Thanks again for your time & feedback.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Outback Limited
2 Posts
My 2013 SAP used to have a delay at a specific point during hands-free NAVIGATION operation that now (after 2 months) results in a complete freeze of the NAV system every single time.

When I took it to the dealer today, they ended up testing another SAP on the lot and it ALSO hesitated at the exact same point.

I am trying to determine if this is a problem on all SAP models, or a huge coincidence that two on the same lot both have the problem.

If you own a 2013 SAP - if you could please follow the steps below and post whether your SAP has either a delay or complete freeze up. (To clear the freeze you turn car off)

Here are the steps that lead to the delay / freeze:

Press hands-free "face" button

At NAV's prompts:
Choose (vocally) "Navigation"

Choose "Destination"

Choose "Address"

Say House Number

Say a Street Name

When NAV gives a list of addresses in the current town,
Say "CHANGE CITY"

When NAV says "Say City and State" this is the point where my NAV freezes. Sometimes she speaks / sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes the screen turns green / sometimes it doesn't. It used to hesitate for 20-30 seconds - now it locks up completely. It also used to happen more consistently while the car was moving vice sitting still (but now doesn't matter).

Thanks again for your time & feedback.
Good clear description of the problem, but I do not have the NAV so can not help you.. Sorry..

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
If I remember, I will try the sequence. Mostly, I don't use the NAV because mine resets sporadically. Subaru is allegedly working on a fix.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback SAP BBP with Body Side Moulding, Rear Heated Seats, Hitch, All Weather Mats & Rear Seat Protectors.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you - I am really hoping to find out how widespread this NAV bug really is. Not to mention the crappy mileage but that's a whole other thread!!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
I'll check mine early this week..

Question, when you are doing this do you have a phone connected by Bluetooth or anything else connected to the system? Are those connection's active..?? If so, does the problem still exist once the bluetooth connection or others are removed??

I'll let you know how I make out..

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question HDSkullfire2 - I'm not sure. I will check and report back here.

·
Registered
13' OB 3.6R Limited , SAP, BBP
116 Posts
First time posting in this forum!

Anyhow, Hawk-I, I can confirm that I was getting the same symptoms on my newly purchased SAP 3.6R. It has "frozen" once while in the change city option. I had to wait until I stopped to reboot the system. I believe I was not patient enough that time and must had pressed one of the other controls or the voice command button on the steering wheel. The next time I tried it, I was a bit more patient (though it shouldn't that long) and it finally went through. I don't believe I had the Bluetooth connected when that occurred. I will make note of that the next time it happens.

On another note. Great color of choice! I am glad i stuck with picking up the BBP 2 weeks ago even though it was close to 400 miles away from home.

Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I completely disconnected my phone (via phone and car) and it still locks at the "change city" option. My dealer is going to drain the battery and try some resets of the system Thursday and see how that works. I'm not holding my breath - since it happens at exact same menu ("change city") on more than just my car.

Mechanic showed me the SD Disk when we checked the system and it is dated 2011. Haven't figured out how we get system updates yet, but that seems old for a 2013 car?

Love my SAP but these little things are really getting under my skin.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/SAP (Brilliant Brown Pearl)
3 Posts
[...]My dealer is going to drain the battery and try some resets of the system Thursday and see how that works. [...]
Say what?? Drain the battery? Forgive my stupid question, but wouldn't it be easier to disconnect the battery? I'm pretty sure fully draining lead-acid car batteries is not a good thing to do to those types of batteries.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No idea - that is what dealer said SOA told them to do

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an SAP and the navigation is EXTREMELY buggy. It has not just what you mention, but multiple instances of just losing the GPS position and then stopping giving me directions for a minute or two - which is a big problem when you are driving and need to know where to go! I also have had an issue where I was driving on the interstate and it slowly began to track me to the side of where I was... so eventually it thought I was about a block over from the interstate itself and continually kept trying to get me to get back on. The only way I could get it to work again was to turn the car completely off. I also have several times where the directions lag so far behind when I am supposed to turn I might as well not have them - it doesn't matter if it is 5 seconds AFTER I pass the road.

Additional issues I am having with the electronics; the navigation sound is SO LOUD that I can only put the voice on the lowest possible setting to make it even bearable (1)

I also have an issue with when I play my ipod or satellite radio that when I turn the sound all the way down (for a call not on bluetooth for example) the sound will get quiet but will NOT turn all the way off. So sound #0 in that case is still plenty loud enough to hear. As a result, I have to turn my radio OFF when I get calls.

So irritated.

Plus from the beginning, I have had two speakers that must be touching the screens over them? I'm not sure but they buzz with every beat of the songs.

What can they possibly do at this point but replace the whole unit? I have So many issues - where do I start?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I can't help with the GPS part but a couple quick thoughts on the volume issue. There are two volume adjustments in the menu and if you have the SVC (Speed Volume Control)setting in the plus range the volume won't go completely quiet. Try turning the midbass bands down in the graphic equalizer. They are the second and third from the left. The front speakers are bass heavy and muddy up the whole sound if not adjusted. Welcome aboard and congrats on the new wheels.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I can't help with the GPS part but a couple quick thoughts on the volume issue. There are two volume adjustments in the menu and if you have the SVC (Speed Volume Control)setting in the plus range the volume won't go completely quiet. Try turning the midbass bands down in the graphic equalizer. They are the second and third from the left. The front speakers are bass heavy and muddy up the whole sound if not adjusted. Welcome aboard and congrats on the new wheels.

Could you elaborate where this SVC (speed volume control) setting is. Mine is set too high and is very annoying. Would like to reduce it or turn it off.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Could you elaborate where this SVC (speed volume control) setting is. Mine is set too high and is very annoying. Would like to reduce it or turn it off.
On the main audio screen at the bottom towards the left by the phone icon is the sound "button". That takes you to the equalizer/position/SVC adjustments screen. SVC is on the bottom. It's a + or- adjustment. Any + setting will keep the volume from zeroing out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I have this annoying issue. I always have the delay, and once the system completely hanged - had to restart the nav system. I hope Subaru releases an update for the nav system soon.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
On the main audio screen at the bottom towards the left by the phone icon is the sound "button". That takes you to the equalizer/position/SVC adjustments screen. SVC is on the bottom. It's a + or- adjustment. Any + setting will keep the volume from zeroing out.
Drat! That is the Source Volume Control not 'Speed' Volume Control unfortunately. It controls how loud each source is (cd, usb, aux, etc) individually to help keep you from having to change the volume too much when switching from source to source by keeping them somewhat even. Well, you have to make the adjustment but you catch my drift.

Thanks for the response but it looks like it might be a dealer setting cause I sure as heck can't find out how to adjust speed sensing volume in any menu.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
. .....Thanks for the response but it looks like it might be a dealer setting cause I sure as heck can't find out how to adjust speed sensing volume in any menu.
Ooops, I played with mine before reading the manual(imagine that). It appears the SVC that used to be called Speed VC has changed almost every year with different trims and HU's.

I read the manual and the Source VC to me is a bit gimmicky. And the instructions to me don't read well. While well intentioned, having any + adjustment not allowing the ability to turn the volume completely off, seems odd. Adjusting all sources down to the quietest source input is a better implementation to me as it still allows for loudess that could damage speakers/ears if desired.

It appears this unit is like my 2011 HK w/o NAV that had no Speed VC adjustment either. Can't remember what model trim did. Premium??

Does adjusting the XM and BT inputs to the negative allow you to zero out the volume?? Is there a volume control on your iPod that "competes with the HU volume?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Sorry, got sidetracked from the question at hand. I tried to lock mine up today a few times and with my old school flip-phone active and had no problems. It changed city and state with no issues. However the new listing had no resemblence to the ones originally put in.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premier White
24 Posts
well I am finding a delay on other areas of my navigation and I have posted a youtube video. The delay is so slow that is times out. I spoke with Andrew at Subarus 1800 line and they didnt actually send it for technical review. just gave me what seem like coffee talk aound the lunch room type of answer. I really think there is a software issue with this system as it is the 1st year.

Here is the link for you to look at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow - that you tube video of your NAV delay is much worse than mine. Subaru disconnected the battery on mine and it doesn't delay as badly now, but still delays. It has locked a couple times since but I haven't been able to capture it on video yet (frankly I just don't use NAV much anymore other than favorites).

After seeing your video I am happy mine only delays at the city/state point. I definitely don't want a new system if it could be worse.

As for the volume thing - I had the SVC on +1 and it was not allowing me to turn volume all the way off either. Changing it to 0 fixed that! :)

Thanks so much for all the input on this. Sure helps to know its not just my car!! I also agree this NAV system is a software bug which I'm hoping means some day Subaru will fix it. I bought this car to keep for 100K miles and I did NOT buy it for the NAV (bought it more for the brown leather) but the mileage is killing me so far (23mpg). I have not yet decided whether to keep it long term as originally planned. Hoping warmer weather will help the mpg and maybe even the software bugs.

Thanks again!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts