Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have this thing pretty much figured out now, but one thing I cannot find in the owner's manual.

When the car is running, if you get out with the Fob in your pocket, the car beeps 3 times. When you come back into range w/ the car running it beeps again. Is this just to remind me I am walking away w/ the car still running?

If I were to walk away and leave it would it shut down the engine automatically, or would it run on indefinitely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
If I were to walk away and leave it would it shut down the engine automatically, or would it run on indefinitely?

Thanks!
Good question. I think having the vehicle shut down with no key in range would make for great lawsuit material?
Keeping that in mind I think it would keep running... :eek:

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,865 Posts
Why would it make for good lawsuit material to NOT kill the engine with no remote in range? Most states have laws against leaving the engine running on an unattended vehicle, it could avoid getting a ticket for that. Also, if you leave the remote in your pocket and you happen to be carjacked, the thief won't get very far.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Actually, I like that feature; when you temporarily leave the car, say you stop at your mailbox and get out of the car to get mail, I like that the car keeps on running...and, if I am not mistaken, the car would run for pre-set time (20 minutes) and then it would shut down (if you or your wife starts chatting with the neighbor...LOL). Same as if you start your car with key remote, the car shuts down automotaically after 20 minutes (section 7-14 in your handbook).

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
The car will shut off on it is own after a certain time like jogo mentioned above... started her up to get warm, todller took too long to get dressed I forgot about the car and by the time I got to the garage the OB was off.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
The car will shut off on it is own after a certain time like jogo mentioned above... started her up to get warm, todller took too long to get dressed I forgot about the car and by the time I got to the garage the OB was off.
JCBERB - you obviously like to live dangerously, like Austin Powers, if you leave your car running in your garage...LOL ... just kidding, hopefully, your garage was open...while your toddler was lounging inside the house....LOL

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
Why would it make for good lawsuit material to NOT kill the engine with no remote in range? Most states have laws against leaving the engine running on an unattended vehicle, it could avoid getting a ticket for that. Also, if you leave the remote in your pocket and you happen to be carjacked, the thief won't get very far.
Here is the scenario I was thinking, family goes out for a drive with key in range. They stop, husband (holds key) steps out and for whatever reason they ignore the beeps and wife drives off with the car to do chores. 20 mins later the car shuts down on the highway. :confused:

Just a possible scenario that popped in my head, programmed behavior can have pros and cons. Anyway, it's good to know the car will shutdown as a safety feature as mentioned by JCBERB.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Valorage:
Actually that scenario cannot happen ... the car keeps running but you cannot drive off.... the minute you release hand brake (if you engaged one) or select a gear, it will not go..if the transponder is not within the range ....- you have to re-start the car.... I think I have already "tested" this feature....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Here is the scenario I was thinking, family goes out for a drive with key in range. They stop, husband (holds key) steps out and for whatever reason they ignore the beeps and wife drives off with the car to do chores. 20 mins later the car shuts down on the highway. :confused:

Just a possible scenario that popped in my head, programmed behavior can have pros and cons. Anyway, it's good to know the car will shutdown as a safety feature as mentioned by JCBERB.
The car will shut down only when you start it remotely ... either after you open the door or after 20 minutes....that's what he was saying...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's another wierd thing:

When I put the car in reverse to back into a parking space, then open the drivers door to see how close I am to the curb, the instrument panel lets out a continuous BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and says something like "Place gearshift lever into Park" on the screen.

Why would it do this? I have the key fob in my pocket. When I open the door while the car is in drive it does not Beep like that.

Trying to figure out how this is a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
It's trying to tell you "close the door, while you drive"... LOL ... That makes sense - to me, at least...

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Here's another wierd thing:

When I put the car in reverse to back into a parking space, then open the drivers door to see how close I am to the curb, the instrument panel lets out a continuous BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and says something like "Place gearshift lever into Park" on the screen.

Why would it do this? I have the key fob in my pocket. When I open the door while the car is in drive it does not Beep like that.

Trying to figure out how this is a safety feature.
Somebody needing glasses probably thought the R was a P and they left the car and it rolled over their foot so they filed a I AM AN IDIOT lawsuit and somebody should pay for me being an idiot.

On the conventional ignition you can't remove the key unless it is in Park so it reminds you that way to put it in Park but with the keyless the key isn't needed to be removed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Valorage:
Actually that scenario cannot happen ... the car keeps running but you cannot drive off.... the minute you release hand brake (if you engaged one) or select a gear, it will not go..if the transponder is not within the range ....- you have to re-start the car.... I think I have already "tested" this feature....

Ok, so here's a scenario:

I'm driving down the road (shifter is in D) and I throw the key fob out the window. What happens now???

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts

I'm driving down the road (shifter is in D) and I throw the key fob out the window. What happens now???
With all due respect, why would you throw the key fob out of the window? Is that a "reasonable" scenario? I can see throwing your wife out of the car...maybe...LOL - just kidding...
Nevertheless, can you duplicate your suggested scenario and let this forum know, what happened?

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts

The car will die an you walk back and pick up the key fob but not finding it and realizing you left your phone in the car you walk back to the car to get the phone which gives you time to think about what just happened so you call a lawyer to file a I AM AN IDIOT Lawsuit in which Subaru will probably install a net on the windows so future idiots are protected from being an idiot :D

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
The way the house sits, the bay door, and garage door are on opposite ends. when both are open [as was the case] it creates a noticeable flow of air from one end to the other, so all was safe.

Just annoyed I forgot the car was running.

JCBERB - you obviously like to live dangerously, like Austin Powers, if you leave your car running in your garage...LOL ... just kidding, hopefully, your garage was open...while your toddler was lounging inside the house....LOL

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With all due respect, why would you throw the key fob out of the window? Is that a "reasonable" scenario? I can see throwing your wife out of the car...maybe...LOL - just kidding...
Nevertheless, can you duplicate your suggested scenario and let this forum know, what happened?

I just figured you'd go try it and report back on the results. :D

Just a hypothetical.....

·
Registered
22,806 Posts

Thats easy the car calls you a dumb -A$$ and ejects you into the snow bank and continues on without you.

Now I know why cars that can drive them selves is probably going to be the best thing to happen when they get it sorted out. FAR FAR too many people operating heavy equipment that shouldn't be doing so.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Nickshu:

You mean throw my "ex" out of the car? I wish I could do that! ...LOL... I wouldn't be able to "report back"... I would be in a slammer....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nickshu:

You mean throw my "ex" out of the car? I wish I could do that! ...LOL... I wouldn't be able to "report back"... I would be in a slammer....
I'd be worried if you were still driving your Ex around in your Subaru. Hopefully you tossed her out a long time ago. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts