Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as I posted - I got a 2013 2.5 SAP Monday.

There are a few things Im confused about. I went to the local dealer today to order a couple accessories and asked the service dept these questions but just was told I have to make an appointment and I think it will be pricey to have these things done (I didnt buy the car there - bought it at a dealer thats 45 min away).

1. Door lock/unlock beep.
I HATE it. I disabled it on my old 2003 OB Lim. The manual says how to do it for the 2031 with a key - but I have the keyless entry - and the manual just says take to the dealer for this if you have keyless entry. REALLY?!?! couldnt fit one more page in the manual?
Sigh. So does ANYONE know how to disable the door lock/unlock beep for the 2013 SAP with keyless entry? I have looked at old threads and found nothing for this specific car. Joe Spitz site only goes up to 2010 I think on this issue. Anyone know how to do this?

2. Rear back up camera:
My rear camera doesnt show up in the rear view mirror. Manual says it should. It DOES show up on the navigation screen. I have a 2013 SAP.
The service guy at the dealer I spoke to didnt even seem to know if it SHOULD. My mirror is the one with the 3 homelink buttons and an on and off button. The manual mentions a way to disable and enable this by holding the power on button 15 seconds. Did mine COME disabled? I tried this and it did nothing. Anyone else have the 2.5 2013 SAP package? Does your rear camers show on the mirror or only on the nav screen.

3. Keyless entry:
It seems sometimes when I shut off the car - the car completely shuts down -and occasionally it shuts down to the accessories still being on. I am 95% sure I am always in park when this happens.
I am wondering the proper way to shut off the car if I still want accessories to be on - do I just not put it in park?

4. I wont even get INTO the audio system right now - Ive checked it out in detail, all speakers, features etc - NOT happy with this. :p

Im sure Ill have more questions but well start here. :)

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Regarding the backup camera, do you have NAV? If so, I think all OB's with NAV and backup cam display the image on the NAV screen.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
SAP's come with nav, and yes, if you have nav the screen would replace the mirror image.....why would you even care? Our 2012 had the image in mirror and is very small compared to the nav screen!

proper shut down is pushing the start/stop button

Have you tried adjusting the eq on your radio? XM sounds fair at best, but that is not Subaru's issue. We have our ipod connected and it sounds
WAY better than our 2012 non-nav equipped Limited. The eq allows much better adjusting

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SAP's come with nav, and yes, if you have nav the screen would replace the mirror image.....why would you even care? Our 2012 had the image in mirror and is very small compared to the nav screen!

proper shut down is pushing the start/stop button

Have you tried adjusting the eq on your radio? XM sounds fair at best, but that is not Subaru's issue. We have our ipod connected and it sounds
WAY better than our 2012 non-nav equipped Limited. The eq allows much better adjusting
I only cared because I thought it was supposed to show in the mirror and I thought something was malfunctioning. If it only shows up on the screen - then Im ok - as long as things are working the way they are supposed to be working.

Oh you can bet Ive messed with the EQ. Ive verified all speakers are working at the frequencies they should be. Since the 2003 the layout has changed - tweeters are in diff spot - crossovers are clearly different, and the sub is really low in volume - though it is working. Nevermind that the whole car is shaped differently inside. I am thinking though the speakers are not as good quality as I had in the 2003. Im telling you it is quite different. The front mid range speakers are further in the front of the door too - but they sound horrible as well. Ive messed with the EQ trying to make up for some of it but the eq is not very good either. I know Im VERY picky, as I have driven many rentals this past year (cheap rentals) and was always amazed how much the audio sucked compared to my 03 OB - but I had hoped for better with this system - no luck. Its only marginally better than the cheap rentals Ive had. I cant change anything out at this point but in the future I see replacements. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
When shutting down the car it acts as a keyed car in that it shuts down everything. In a keyed ignition if you want accesories after shutdown you turn the key to ACC. In the SAP the ACC is, while in Park - foot off brake- push start button. A second push with foot off brake will sweep gauges and be in "on" position. A third push shuts everything down again.

The front speakers are pretty "boomy" which muddies up the sound. Try setting one of the EQ settings like a NIKE swoosh. Set the far left up a bit above center the next two down a couple notches below center and then the rest ascending up as you go to the right. Also good quality WAVE files on disc or Thumb drive are much better than low rez MP3's.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When shutting down the car it acts as a keyed car in that it shuts down everything. In a keyed ignition if you want accesories after shutdown you turn the key to ACC. In the SAP the ACC is, while in Park - foot off brake- push start button. A second push with foot off brake will sweep gauges and be in "on" position. A third push shuts everything down again.

The front speakers are pretty "boomy" which muddies up the sound. Try setting one of the EQ settings like a NIKE swoosh. Set the far left up a bit above center the next two down a couple notches below center and then the rest ascending up as you go to the right. Also good quality WAVE files on disc or Thumb drive are much better than low rez MP3's.

Yes they are, horribly so. The speakers just sound afwul. I isolated them each and couldnt believe it. The "nike" thing and what you describe is exactly as I have the eq already - it was the best I could do with it. Trust me, I worked for years mixing records, it was hard to see most of the population starting to make horrible sounding compressed versions of things we spent so much energy making sound great. I have compressed files for the convenience but my music collection doesnt even fit on a 160GB ipod -my compression is not what most people do - I dont even use MP3 and compress at very high bit rates. But these files sounded a lot better in the other outback I had.

I love the car - and would never buy for the audio quality, but I honestly expected way better.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
Oops....there was more there, but I am much more satisfied so far with the stereo than the 2012 without the eq

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
On the door lock/unlock beep, it may require Subaru's handheld computer to reprogram. No point in adding a page to the manual if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok new question...

5. When I turn off the car from the push button, usually it just turns off silently. But seems about 2 times a day - it beeps after I turn it off. I cant get it to stop. Car is in park, doors are closed still, headlights are off, car seems "off" but it continues beeping as I open and exit the vehicle till I shut the door. It only beeps sometimes after shut down and I cant figure it out.

and to Hallux

On the door lock/unlock beep, it may require Subaru's handheld computer to reprogram. No point in adding a page to the manual if you can't do it yourself.
perhaps - but man that seems like a simple thing leave to owners. My 2003 could change it just from the "keyless entry" remote. Seems they could have done the same with this remote. My local dealer wants me to "schedule an appointment" and the dealer I got the car from it far so its a lot to drive for just that.
I really hate that beep!!

I am SO unimpressed with my local dealer (actually both of my closest dealers have rubbed me the wrong way numerous times now). This happened last time too - in 02 when I was buying.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Ok new question...

5. When I turn off the car from the push button, usually it just turns off silently. But seems about 2 times a day - it beeps after I turn it off. I cant get it to stop. Car is in park, doors are closed still, headlights are off, car seems "off" but it continues beeping as I open and exit the vehicle till I shut the door. It only beeps sometimes after shut down and I cant figure it out. .......
Is it possible you sometimes shut the car off before putting in park. Mine has done that beeping a couple of times and it is quite disconcerting as well as annoying. Maybe headlights left on???? Mine only does it when I'm not paying attention. Like most of the time.;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible you sometimes shut the car off before putting in park. Mine has done that beeping a couple of times and it is quite disconcerting as well as annoying. Maybe headlights left on???? Mine only does it when I'm not paying attention. Like most of the time.;)
headlights def off. I will have to make sure next time I really hit the button when its in park - but yes - its very disconcerting as it doesnt usually happen and nothing I do turns the beeping off. Strange.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
and to Hallux

perhaps - but man that seems like a simple thing leave to owners. My 2003 could change it just from the "keyless entry" remote. Seems they could have done the same with this remote. My local dealer wants me to "schedule an appointment" and the dealer I got the car from it far so its a lot to drive for just that.
I really hate that beep!!

I am SO unimpressed with my local dealer (actually both of my closest dealers have rubbed me the wrong way numerous times now). This happened last time too - in 02 when I was buying.
Turning it off on a 2010-2012 (and maybe non-SAP 2013) required a combination of key turns and insertions and removals from the ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
2. Rear back up camera:
My rear camera doesnt show up in the rear view mirror. Manual says it should. It DOES show up on the navigation screen. I have a 2013 SAP.
The service guy at the dealer I spoke to didnt even seem to know if it SHOULD. My mirror is the one with the 3 homelink buttons and an on and off button. The manual mentions a way to disable and enable this by holding the power on button 15 seconds. Did mine COME disabled? I tried this and it did nothing. Anyone else have the 2.5 2013 SAP package? Does your rear camers show on the mirror or only on the nav screen.
I think that's a typo/error in the manual - they didn't update it going from 2012 to 2013. For the non-NAV limited with the sunroof, there was a display in the mirror - but for the non-NAV limited now, it displays in the stereo (just like it does for those with NAV) - the NAV ones have always just displayed on the NAV unit, iirc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts