Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, long time lurker; just ordering a new 2013 to replace my Gen3 Outback and I'm debating getting the SAP (love the keyless, darker leather, but dislike the silver exterior features, but I digress).

My question is to whether or not it is possible to install an aftermarket remote start on the SAP models, given they don't have valet keys to hide within. As well, I'd imagine hiding a normal key in the SAP cars would effectively make it "unlocked" 24/7.

Now I know Subaru offers the OEM remote start on the SAP, so it is obviously possible (1way remote starters are a no-go for me); but is it possible to do an aftermarket one with a bypass module, or similar? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Actually they do have a valet key of sorts to hide within. The SAP fob is 2 piece with a key that slides out of the electronics. It is just the key portion that you would use with the remote start bypass module. I haven't actually done this with a Subaru SAP but did do it with a Nissan keyless start which appears to be the same. Pick a good local installer (or a few) and give them a call to explain your needs and see what they recommend. I definetly wouldn't get the SAP factory remote start unless you are sure you can live with very limited range (much less than the non-SAP remote start) and the lack of 2 way feedback.

outback13-key7.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually they do have a valet key of sorts to hide within. The SAP fob is 2 piece with a key that slides out of the electronics. It is just the key portion that you would use with the remote start bypass module. I haven't actually done this with a Subaru SAP but did do it with a Nissan keyless start which appears to be the same. Pick a good local installer (or a few) and give them a call to explain your needs and see what they recommend. I definetly wouldn't get the SAP factory remote start unless you are sure you can live with very limited range (much less than the non-SAP remote start) and the lack of 2 way feedback.

View attachment 24741
Thanks, I did forget about the hidden key, but my question is that if the mini valet key is inside the car (as suggested); would it allow a remote starter to function, without allowing the doors to be unlocked (keyless entry)?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Thanks, I did forget about the hidden key, but my question is that if the mini valet key is inside the car (as suggested); would it allow a remote starter to function, without allowing the doors to be unlocked (keyless entry)?
The electronics for the keyless entry is in the fob not the key portion. So if the key portion was in the car it wouldn't allow the doors to open. The key is just a chipped key and will let the rs start your car. I am basing all this on my Nissan system which I am sure is the same. Maybe somebody with a Subaru SAP will test and verify?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The electronics for the keyless entry is in the fob not the key portion. So if the key portion was in the car it wouldn't allow the doors to open. The key is just a chipped key and will let the rs start your car. I am basing all this on my Nissan system which I am sure is the same. Maybe somebody with a Subaru SAP will test and verify?
Thanks for the clarification; and just to summerize:

-"Mini" valet key in the SAP will *hopefully* have the transponder, and allow the car to be started (by remote start and/or push button).

-The key fob is the portion that allows keyless entry, but not starting of the vehicle.

If someone with a SAP could give it a whirl and let us know that would be great! We'd just need someone to try:
a) keyless entry with and without mini-key present
b) starting engine without mini-key present
c) starting engine with mini key only (fob away from car)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going off these videos of 2013 BRZ Limiteds with remote starter and pushbutton ignition (which I believe means it also has the keyless system, similar to that in the SAP), it might be possible. BRZ fob picture below.

I wonder how it was done in the videos below....sadly do not speak Japanese to see if they used transponder bypass modules, etc.

Video of remote start on 2013 BRZ w/ Push button start

This one as well

2013 BRZ Keyless fob

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Is that key actually chipped? Isn't it only needed for unlocking the door in the event of a battery failure or locking/unlocking the glovebox if you park with a valet?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I don't have a SAP but there is SAP info in my 2013 owner's manual. After reading through this it looks like the mechanical key is not chipped. Again, it looks like Subaru took a keyless start system and managed to complicate it. On my Nissan if the FOB fails for any reason all I have to do is slide out the mechanical key which is chipped open the door and use it to operate the keyless start. It's just a normal chipped key at that point with no electronics to fail plus no battery inside. With Subaru, according to the owner's manual, if the fob fails to open the door you use the mechanical key to open the door but then hold the fob up to the start button and do some communication process which should result in a chime which will let you start the car. Will this communication process work if the fob electronics fail or if the battery is dead? All the manual says is to conatct Subaru if you can't start it. This could complicate the whole aftermarket remote start theory but I still bet if you conatct the right installer and he does his research it can be done.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5
58 Posts
Has anyone with SAP had a aftermarket remote start installed? What impact/issues have arisen?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Just an FYI - the Subaru OEM remote start IS 2-way. Albeit limited functionality, it tells you through flashes weather the vehicle started or not. Range is supposed to be a 1000 feet, most good aftermarket ones are 2000 feet.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Just an FYI - the Subaru OEM remote start IS 2-way. Albeit limited functionality, it tells you through flashes weather the vehicle started or not. Range is supposed to be a 1000 feet, most good aftermarket ones are 2000 feet.
Could you post a link to those specs? I would love to see them.

Non-sap is 2 way and about 400'. SAP RS is less and one way. But I guess you could consider the SAP RS 2 way being that you have to be standing right next to the car for it to start. You can see and hear it start.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
when I get home I will have a look at the reference manaul they gave me for remote, I'll scan it if I can.

Mine is not SAP though. We don't get that option canada which kinda sucks! I like that leather color.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
when I get home I will have a look at the reference manaul they gave me for remote, I'll scan it if I can.

Mine is not SAP though. We don't get that option canada which kinda sucks! I like that leather color.
Here is what we get for non sap in the US. Must be something to do with the wide open spaces in Canada.
2013RS.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 w/SAP
6 Posts
I have not tried what you guys are asking and im not by my car to test it out but I have a SAP with the remote start and I feel I wasted my money on it and am quite dissapointed. The range is only 75 feet at best and requires a triple push that isn't always accurate (plus im almost to my car by then anyway) and worst of all the engine stops when the door is opened. So for my needs it is useless and I should have researched a little better first, I just liked the idea of no extra fob.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I have not tried what you guys are asking and im not by my car to test it out but I have a SAP with the remote start and I feel I wasted my money on it and am quite dissapointed. The range is only 75 feet at best and requires a triple push that isn't always accurate (plus im almost to my car by then anyway) and worst of all the engine stops when the door is opened. So for my needs it is useless and I should have researched a little better first, I just liked the idea of no extra fob.
I too am annoyed that the car turns off when I come to open the door. I use it in the morning. I open the garage from the kitchen press the code to start the car. My drive to work is short and on cold Denver mornings its nice to go downstairs to my semi attached garage and have the car heated up. If it wasn't already installed in the car I would not have wasted the money.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,225 Posts
I have a 2013 SAP Keyless entry but NOT the remote start.

I just tried a couple things.
When I go up to my car with just the key - nothing happens. I can unlock the car physically by USING the key in the door - but cant start the car.

When I go up to my car with JUST the remote - key removed - I can do everything, unlock car - and start car. So the key seems to be just a key.

But my quesion is then, what do I leave a valet? The key part is the part with the ring on it - but I dont want him to have the key - as thats what locks the glove box. So I leave this little piece of plastic box with him only? Seems like the ring attachment should have been on the plastic box part and not the removable key part.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
I thought all 2013 SAP had what is called Smart Engine Start a.k.a Remote Start, is this not correct????

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
I thought all 2013 SAP had what is called Smart Engine Start a.k.a Remote Start, is this not correct????
They have KEYLESS start, but that is NOT remote start. The SAP allows you to start the vehicle without use of a key by having your fob in your pocket and you push a button on the dash. This topic is about starting the vehicle from a distance with a remote.

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
Anyone have updates to this dilemma? My '14 SAP has the factory remote start along with all the disappointments:

- Extremely short operational distance: real world <50ft, forget using it through even one window.
- Tricky starting sequence: Lock button quick x2, then again for 3 seconds. Cross your fingers.
- Not a true 2-way remote. The car honking after receiving the signal and engine start does not make it a 2-way communicator.
- Noisy! The signal confirmation and engine start notification is done through the horns instead of the lock/unlock chirp. With the Hella Supertones installed, this garauntees that I can never use the remote start feature at home or any other residential setting.

I spoke with my local RS installer (where I had a Compustar system installed on a '10 Camry and my '12 Outback Premium AWP) and was told that there were no real aftermarket options for Subaru Push-to-Start systems. The youtube videos earlier in this thread seem to contradict that position.

Has anyone had success with installing an aftermarket 2-way RS on an Outback w/ SAP? I do miss my 3,000ft range, true 2-way confirmation, and not having to restart the engine after the door is opened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it possible to get the remote start on the 2013 and 2014 outbacks??…mine is the push button to start inside the car with keyless entry, limited with special appearance package, need help on this issue, thanks!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts