Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the 2013 OB... Premium. I am concerned about the comfort of the seat. I have become accustomed to the feel of the Volvo seat...wrap around, snug. I only had the opportunity to sit in a 2012, as the local showroom is waiting for the 2013. Any feedback on the seats?
ALSO...I will need to hook up a trailer hitch. Anyone have experience with dealer installed hitches?
I never owned a Subaru, have been a Volvo owner for 30+ years. I want to take the plunge, just need a little coaxing.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
I've got a screwed up back and neck. Sitting in front of a computer or in a car for 15 minutes can put me in a lot of pain, depending on the support and position of the seat, and how I sit in the seat.

I just finished 3000 miles in 4 days in my '13 OB. No pain. The limiting factor between stops (3-4 hours) was the size of my bladder, not the comfort of the seat. My Dad and I were talking about this, and he even commented that the seats in his '08 are excellent and let him drive 3-4 hours before getting out to hit a bathroom.

My advice: ask to sit in an OB for an extended period of time. Or ask for an extended test drive. That should tell you if the seat works for you.

I have the factory trailer hitch, installed by the dealership. It works (I towed my motorcycle once so far on a cargo trailer) and fits well. Installation requires removing the bumper and at least one of the taillights, and the hitch does require cutting the bumper skin a bit, as it sits up pretty high. The top of the hitch sits 16 5/8 inches off the ground (just measured in my garage), and it sticks out 2 inches from the rear of the bumper skin. Actually, now that I think about it, the front portion of my garage slopes a tiny bit, so the hitch may sit around 16 inches off the ground if I measured on totally level ground.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
I am looking at the 2013 OB... Premium. I am concerned about the comfort of the seat. I have become accustomed to the feel of the Volvo seat...wrap around, snug. I only had the opportunity to sit in a 2012, as the local showroom is waiting for the 2013. Any feedback on the seats?
ALSO...I will need to hook up a trailer hitch. Anyone have experience with dealer installed hitches?
I never owned a Subaru, have been a Volvo owner for 30+ years. I want to take the plunge, just need a little coaxing.
As far as seats go, you need to try for yourself. Everyone is different so it may feel different to you than it does to me. As far as hitch goes, it is considered PIO option. Usually when dealer installs it, they charge hourly labor to do it plus hitch cost. if you order vehicle with the hitch option, it is installed at the factory and you pretty much can have it at invoice. Which is what we did - we have a 2013 Limited on order with the hitch. There are pix posted somewhere in this forum of what's involved in the hitch installation - for this Outback generation it looks like a pretty involved process where they have to take off the rear bumper and lights to do it. So IMO it is better to order it as factory-installed.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
We just purchased a 2013 Premium. The adjustments are plenty. Im one of those types who dont like a lot of techno items. The seat has more adjustment than what im used to. THe seats are comfortable. The air lumbar is nice as well as the tilt functions. You probably need to give yourself some time to get it right, but I think you will find them comfortable.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5 cvt, ice silver
61 Posts
I would consider an after market hitch, to save money and probably get a better hitch. I went the Hidden Hitch from e-trailer. I installed it myself and you don't need to remove the bumper. There's plenty of how-to info on this forum, check it out before you give the dealer way more than it's worth.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I also recommend an aftermarket hitch. You can get one that doesn't require cutting the bumper, doesn't stick out, and has a 2" receiver for more options. I have the 2" Curt hitch, and am very happy with it. Others are happy with the hidden hitch or other brands. I find the Subaru hitch to be the least desirable option.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I find the Outback's seats to be the most comfortable I have ever sat in for long trips. I can drive 4 hours without having to re-position myself.

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
+1 for aftermarket hitch. The above mentioned are good to look into. I personally went with the most hidden option - the 2" Torklift hitch. There are several threads on this you should check out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking at the hidden hitch option and have a question about your installation. The installation requires drilling a 1-1/8" hole access hole. How did you do that? That is a very large hole. I could do it through wood easily, but have no equipment to do that through steel. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I am looking at the hidden hitch option and have a question about your installation. The installation requires drilling a 1-1/8" hole access hole. How did you do that? That is a very large hole. I could do it through wood easily, but have no equipment to do that through steel. Any suggestions?
You can avoid drilling a hole by removing the bumper cover/skin.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
500 Posts
I opened up those holes. It is very easy. We are not talking about drilling a hole in thick frame steel, but rather widening a hole in thin sheet metal. You can use a rasp like bit on a drill and a few minutes of your time. I used tin snips, but would recommend a rasp bit or rat tail file. This was an easy part of the overall installation.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
As far as the seats are concerned, I found them WERIDly uncomfortable which is ODD.
I was able to sit good in the Impreza , XV , WRX , BRZ , Forester and even the Legacy,
but somehow I found the Outback seats weirdly uncomfortable.

In my opinion I think the Seat RAKE was my main issue, and now almost a year later
I can sit in the car with the seat at the LOWEST position with seat back angle 100-110* .

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I have posted elsewhere that not all 2013 models use the same high density foam. I found the cloth seats on 2013 base Outback too firm, borderline uncomfortable. I had that car as a loaner last week.
However, my 2013 Limited (with leather) the seat are OK, although they could be a bit firmer.
And I do like firm seats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.