Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

Outside of reading some of the sticky's and other posts (which are awesome and incredibly helpful), I'm completely new to the Subaru world so I thought I would come to the experts with a question on a 2013 Outback I'm thinking about buying :grin2:.

I found a loaded '13 that was a 1 owner with a clean carfax. It looks like all of the regular maintenance was done on time at the same dealership (I've emailed them asking for service records). I was able to do a short test drive over the weekend, and everything felt fine - I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (shakes, etc.).

My concern is the fact that it has 90,000 miles on it - is this considered high mileage for this type of vehicle? I come from the Toyota/Lexus world where 90k is barely broken in, but I'm not sure about the Outbacks. The dealership includes a 'limited lifetime powertrain protection' for the engine and transmission on all vehicles it sells through a company called EFG, so that definitely alleviates some of the worries I might have about the mileage.

I'm planning on going back in the next day or two for a longer test drive, and to look at the powertrain warranty contract to get the details. Is there anything specific I should look for?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
The only caveat on that year is the potential for engine oil consumption. Unless you know for sure it's ok, double check that the extended service contract will cover fixing excess oil consumption and defines what that is.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
As far as the oil burning issue:

Mine is inside the VIN range of potential problems, but does not burn oil.

The settlement from Subaru here ...

http://www.oilconsumption.settlementclass.com/files/Settlement Agreement.pdf

... has the VIN ranges for the '13 Outbacks on page 11. If the one you are looking at is in that range, then your egine/powertrain warranty has been extended to 8 yrs/10,000 miles. That '13 you are interested in might have an additional 10k miles of engine warranty against excessive oil consumption.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts