Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple takes a lot of grief for their maps app but for me the navigation is the biggest disappointment with my purchase. I feel I've been taken for having to have bought the navigation in order to get EyeSight.

The pic here is a section of highway a year+ older than my car. What unworthy of my money and their paycheck people to ship a car with an expensive option that is out of date AND works poorly compared to a much less expensive mobile device.

I made a polite communication to Subaru earlier, they sent me an ice scraper, but I'd really like a navigation system with up to date maps and that doesn't require my phone navigation playing through the Bluetooth for fair warning of turns.

When I search for updates I only find this:

Update Navigation Maps | Subaru of America

This is a section of well traveled US Highway, and the way the system made commands when you were not on the road could be misleading to some people.

Incredible how much time has passed since they shipped the car with these craptacular electronics, slot for memory card, and no updates.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
Just get a real GPS. A real portable navigation device has to sell on its own merits and cannot coast along, included in the purchase of something else. The garmin & tomtom people know this, the automakers know this, and now you know this.

They are all each taking advantage of this knowledge. Respectfully, why aren't you?

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just get a real GPS. A real portable navigation device has to sell on its own merits and cannot coast along, included in the purchase of something else. The garmin & tomtom people know this, the automakers know this, and now you know this.

They are all each taking advantage of this knowledge. Respectfully, why aren't you?
I'm fully aware of hand held capabilities and would not want one stuck or hanging someplace in the car. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a relatively updated base map when the car ships, nor do I think it's unreasonable to faster responding electronics.

I just spent some hold time with Subaru N. America and was told they expect to ship an upgrade in April. The car is very good overall so I hope it's a good fix.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I wonder what they'll charge for the update and how current it will be. Car makers charge ridicules amounts for annual updates while garmin gets $99 for lifetime updates.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
I wonder what they'll charge for the update and how current it will be. Car makers charge ridicules amounts for annual updates while garmin gets $99 for lifetime updates.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
...Even the best navigation systems publish current updates which do not reflect some year-old road changes. I wouldn't expect much for a second-rate built in system.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Built in NAV units have been on their way out since the Iphone hit the market.
Today you get a NAV unit anytime you want added features like the Eye sight system given the logic and processing power to support these advanced capabilities are generally part of the system which can also run NAV software.

The physical hardware doesn't really care what software your running in this case the mapping software Subaru is selling is pretty cheap stuff given the typical Subaru buyer has very little interest in paying more for really good NAV software.

·
Registered
44 Posts

That's the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. A $30,000 car should have a properly working GPS. So you're saying because the radio sounds poor I should have a boombox in the car with me if I want to listen to music.

I'm finding out that Subaru has dropped the ball on a few things with the Outback from reading this website.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
That's the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. A $30,000 car should have a properly working GPS. So you're saying because the radio sounds poor I should have a boombox in the car with me if I want to listen to music.

I'm finding out that Subaru has dropped the ball on a few things with the Outback from reading this website.
Built in NAV units have been outdated since the mid 2000's. I'm actually surprised that Auto makers even offer them given its the number one complaint across the board for Autos is the dumb ass NAV units.

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
65 Posts
Mine seems to work fine. I use it for strategic trip planning to get me into the general area or even to an older part of town. I use Google maps for tactical planning when updated information is necessary.

I know the limitations of my built in navigation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Built in NAV units have been outdated since the mid 2000's. I'm actually surprised that Auto makers even offer them given its the number one complaint across the board for Autos is the dumb ass NAV units.
Perhaps you should try another automotive brand. My wife's VW has a nav unit that outshines what I have in my outback while my friends MB nav system is amazing. Why would I want to fumble with my phone or a nav system suction cupped to the windshield with a power cord laying across the dash. An in dash nav system that works properly can be done but it appears Subaru just doesn't get it.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Perhaps you should try another automotive brand. My wife's VW has a nav unit that outshines what I have in my outback while my friends MB nav system is amazing. Why would I want to fumble with my phone or a nav system suction cupped to the windshield with a power cord laying across the dash. An in dash nav system that works properly can be done but it appears Subaru just doesn't get it.

Actually i would argue that Subaru gets it. The concept that the car has a NAV system and software is out dated. The way it should go is that the screen and Car's system enables the user to link ie stream any type of NAV unit or software to the screen on their dash that they so choose to have. Meaning your smart phone can be in your purse and your choice of mapping technology is simply repeated on the dash screen.

VW simply chose to spend more money on their NAV software and less money some place else. The game of loading content into cars is played by all makers especially the Euro and Korean Makers.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get exposure to new systems as dirty laundry for being an IT admin - help the executives and owners with their setups. I've also helped tech-daft friends who recently bought GPS cars w/GPS. None are perfect but that experience has me knowing I had to accept a relatively craptacular system to get EyeSight.

When I spoke with Subaru I was explicit and said it's wrong to charge somebody who bought their flagship product a few months ago for maps of roads other systems had right almost two years before they made the car. I could see it differently if I'd have owned the car for a year.

I'm happy with the car and the company in general but as said, am disappointed this system isn't in same league as the rest of the product.

Basically, I didn't expect luxury brand dealer services with my purchase but I did expect all the significant line items on the window sticker to work well. These shipped in the summer. I picked mine up last day in Aug, at this point somebody should know what the delivered is lame and have already completed a fix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get exposure to new systems as dirty laundry for being an IT admin - help the executives and owners with their setups. I've also helped tech-daft friends who recently bought GPS cars w/GPS. None are perfect but that experience has me knowing I had to accept a relatively craptacular system to get EyeSight.

When I spoke with Subaru I was explicit and said it's wrong to charge somebody who bought their flagship product a few months ago for maps of roads other systems had right almost two years before they made the car. I could see it differently if I'd have owned the car for a year.

I'm happy with the car and the company in general but as said, am disappointed this system isn't in same league as the rest of the product.

Basically, I didn't expect luxury brand dealer services with my purchase but I did expect all the significant line items on the window sticker to work well. These shipped in the summer. I picked mine up last day in Aug, at this point somebody should know what the delivered is lame and have already completed a fix.
Craptacular
That's my new favorite word. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I use them all, portable Gamin Nuvi with traffic and built in NAVI - and, as a backup, Samsung Galaxy S3 Google Maps or similar app....
It's fun to have them all on and check on each other's mistakes...LOL speaking of distraction... main thing I don't text and drive (or smoke and drive)....chill and enjoy!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I use them all, portable Gamin Nuvi with traffic and built in NAVI - and, as a backup, Samsung Galaxy S3 Google Maps or similar app....
It's fun to have them all on and check on each other's mistakes...LOL speaking of distraction... main thing I don't text and drive (or smoke and drive)....chill and enjoy!
If it wasn't for this ^ my wife would be a terrible person to take on road trips. She entertains her self quite well with all the various devices. Our Thanks Giving trip to LA this past year would have been miserable if WAZE didn't have a bunch of jokers posting about the insanely stupid 10hrs of stop and go driving on a two lane 70mph Interstate.

The WAZE poster who noted a Coyote on the road at Mile X provided over an hour of laughs and entertainment for god knows how many people. By the time people stopped posting the Coyote had a name - date and time of death - next of kin notified and a full life long history created.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts

$30,000 is the new $15,000. Numbers aside, it sure would be nice if the car had a good navigator built in- I agree with you there. But until people stop buying the cars over this, it's not gonna happen.

Subaru has never offered feature parity or higher quality in their GPS systems vs. what was available in portable navigators. If they've been able to move cars with junk systems at option prices topping $1000 ($2000?) what makes you think they'd ship good ones now?

Look at it this way: you could get a top-of-the line portable and pay someone $500 to custom-install it with a factory look and you'd still have money left over vs. the factory gear.

Buying the crummy factory system and then wishing for software updates to make it better? Now that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
Actually i would argue that Subaru gets it. The concept that the car has a NAV system and software is out dated. The way it should go is that the screen and Car's system enables the user to link ie stream any type of NAV unit or software to the screen on their dash that they so choose to have. Meaning your smart phone can be in your purse and your choice of mapping technology is simply repeated on the dash screen.
Now that would be excellent. I'm happy that Subaru has chosen to stick with standard DIN mounts & holes in the dash. For the moment that means we can switch to better aftermarket systems without too much fuss.

Moving the field of compatibility into software for the usage mode you describe would be fantastic. I hope it doesn't take too much longer.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
If it wasn't for this ^ my wife would be a terrible person to take on road trips. She entertains her self quite well with all the various devices. Our Thanks Giving trip to LA this past year would have been miserable if WAZE didn't have a bunch of jokers posting about the insanely stupid 10hrs of stop and go driving on a two lane 70mph Interstate.

The WAZE poster who noted a Coyote on the road at Mile X provided over an hour of laughs and entertainment for god knows how many people. By the time people stopped posting the Coyote had a name - date and time of death - next of kin notified and a full life long history created.
I am still "new" at these apps - had to Google WAZE ... is that app also available on android phones (not just Apple) ? I know it's a stupid question for many out there... but so be it!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I am still "new" at these apps - had to Google WAZE ... is that app also available on android phones (not just Apple) ? I know it's a stupid question for many out there... but so be it!
Yep its on Droid also. For Bay Area and LA during high traffic times it can be quite entertaining and informative. Cop in 1/4 mile on over pass watch out.. ETC. Lots of mapping capability and user contributed road conditions feedback.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Yep its on Droid also. For Bay Area and LA during high traffic times it can be quite entertaining and informative. Cop in 1/4 mile on over pass watch out.. ETC. Lots of mapping capability and user contributed road conditions feedback.
wow - so it's being updated by users, right ? Kind like gas buddy? That's awsome - have to get it for my next trip to the West Coast... thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts