Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 Subaru maps joke instead of Apple maps.

5K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  jacollins 
#1 ·
Apple takes a lot of grief for their maps app but for me the navigation is the biggest disappointment with my purchase. I feel I've been taken for having to have bought the navigation in order to get EyeSight.

The pic here is a section of highway a year+ older than my car. What unworthy of my money and their paycheck people to ship a car with an expensive option that is out of date AND works poorly compared to a much less expensive mobile device.

I made a polite communication to Subaru earlier, they sent me an ice scraper, but I'd really like a navigation system with up to date maps and that doesn't require my phone navigation playing through the Bluetooth for fair warning of turns.

When I search for updates I only find this:

Update Navigation Maps | Subaru of America

This is a section of well traveled US Highway, and the way the system made commands when you were not on the road could be misleading to some people.

Incredible how much time has passed since they shipped the car with these craptacular electronics, slot for memory card, and no updates.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just get a real GPS. A real portable navigation device has to sell on its own merits and cannot coast along, included in the purchase of something else. The garmin & tomtom people know this, the automakers know this, and now you know this.

They are all each taking advantage of this knowledge. Respectfully, why aren't you?

#3 ·
I'm fully aware of hand held capabilities and would not want one stuck or hanging someplace in the car. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a relatively updated base map when the car ships, nor do I think it's unreasonable to faster responding electronics.

I just spent some hold time with Subaru N. America and was told they expect to ship an upgrade in April. The car is very good overall so I hope it's a good fix.

#4 ·
I wonder what they'll charge for the update and how current it will be. Car makers charge ridicules amounts for annual updates while garmin gets $99 for lifetime updates.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Built in NAV units have been on their way out since the Iphone hit the market.
Today you get a NAV unit anytime you want added features like the Eye sight system given the logic and processing power to support these advanced capabilities are generally part of the system which can also run NAV software.

The physical hardware doesn't really care what software your running in this case the mapping software Subaru is selling is pretty cheap stuff given the typical Subaru buyer has very little interest in paying more for really good NAV software.

#14 ·
I use them all, portable Gamin Nuvi with traffic and built in NAVI - and, as a backup, Samsung Galaxy S3 Google Maps or similar app....
It's fun to have them all on and check on each other's mistakes...LOL speaking of distraction... main thing I don't text and drive (or smoke and drive)....chill and enjoy!

#15 ·
If it wasn't for this ^ my wife would be a terrible person to take on road trips. She entertains her self quite well with all the various devices. Our Thanks Giving trip to LA this past year would have been miserable if WAZE didn't have a bunch of jokers posting about the insanely stupid 10hrs of stop and go driving on a two lane 70mph Interstate.

The WAZE poster who noted a Coyote on the road at Mile X provided over an hour of laughs and entertainment for god knows how many people. By the time people stopped posting the Coyote had a name - date and time of death - next of kin notified and a full life long history created.

#21 ·
I use Waze every time I go anywhere on the highways around here. It's the most reliable way to find out (in advance) about traffic jams and especially cops. I have Waze on even when I'm using my built-in NAV, just for the superior real-time traffic and police reports. The Pro Clip cell phone holders that Jogosub and I have make it really easy to see and use Waze.

#24 ·
Are you guys sure that you have to have Sirius XM activated (paid subscription) in order to use 2013 OB NAV? My NAV did not stop working, when my free Sirius XM subscription expired last month...can someone comment on this?

#25 ·
Sequoia225: You are right, in this neck of the woods I may not have any use of WAZE... they do have "traffic report" here on local TV channel but all you can see are empty streets and a bridge to Mobile tunnel in AL...what a pathetic place to live!

#27 ·
If you look elsewhere on this forum, someone claimed that you have to keep paying/subscribing in order for NAV to work... or was it just for the "traffic" option?... don't remember where that thread was....
That's why my question here...

#28 ·
Only the SiriusXM traffic option goes away if you don't re-up the subscription.. All other NAV features remain as they were..

Steve

#30 ·
One should avoid built in sat nav at all costs no matter who makes it. With a stand alone if it is like an android based phone free updates, if it is a garmin or something, if it dies or cant be updated just toss it and get a new one for less then two bills. The ones in cars tend to be locked in, always behind the curve on technology, and you can't (as far as I know) just plug them into your computer and upload new software for cheap or free.

#31 ·
I agree, but the problem is, car manufacturers, including Subaru package their cars up so you get stuck with it even if you don't want it in order to get something you do want like in my case I wanted leather seats so I had no option here but the OB limited/with nav. I think in the US you guys have other package options to get out of the Nav but still get leather.

Packages suck, just give me what I want and only what I want.

#33 ·
Any way to revert to an older Nav Program?

Just wondering if anyone has explored going to an older version Subaru Nav program. We bought a 2013 OB Ltd with the Nav/Eye Sight a couple of months ago. We traded our 2010 OB Ltd with Nav in for the new one. After checking out the New Nav system, we find that we liked the 2010 version much more. Although the 2010 Nav was programed on DD DVDs and the 2013 is on cards, we are wondering if there is any way to reboot the system to the 2010 version...
Just wondering, but realizing this isn't a perfect world...:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.