Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks-
I'm about to decide whether I need the navigation package or not. I have some questions:
1. How does the maps upgrade work? And how much does it typically cost?
2. Is it true that the navigation system has a pretty bad re-sale value? It might so happen that I might have to sell my Outback in 4 years (move out of the country..).
3. How are the nav units by Fujitsu ten. I see that this is new on the OB 13.

Please advice!

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
If you have to ask whether you need the nav, then chances are you don't need the nav. That said, I decidedly did not need the nav but I wanted eyesight badly enough that I was buying it. Although I would be inclined to resent that add-on, I'm growing to appreciate the features.

The nav is considerably more powerful than my handheld gps ($350 in 2011, a gift). I especially like the traffic/construction updates. The other features such as hands-free calling are compelling safety components. The integrated Bluetooth and voice commands are slick and effective.

I estimate it will add three-, maybe four hundred dollars to trade-in value 4 years out, but you should assume very little in the way of payback if it's a concern. In other words, I find the price hard to justify without regular use. As I've mentioned, I use it a lot more than I thought I would (not so much for finding my way around).

Too soon to know about updates in the '13. The card is easy to access and inexpensive, so it bodes well for swapping.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I can't comment on the exact pricing but generally aftermarket nav upgrades are around $100, for each upgrade (no lifetime upgrades on Garmin's like the portables). OEM nav upgrades are generally more expensive (around $250) and may or may not be available yearly. As for the resale, it's usually added in on the entire package (i.e. Nav/moonroof/eyesight) so its hard to say what it's worth alone. For some of us an aftermarket is much better of an idea. Updates can be a new disc or in most cases these days are a new SD card that is inserted into the unit.

Fujitsu used to make excellent decks in the mid to late 90's but haven't done much in the aftermarket since the early 2000's. It remains to be seen how well they will keep up with updates since they didn't do much with nav in the past, except there association with TomTom.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Folks-
I'm about to decide whether I need the navigation package or not. I have some questions:
1. How does the maps upgrade work? And how much does it typically cost?
2. Is it true that the navigation system has a pretty bad re-sale value? It might so happen that I might have to sell my Outback in 4 years (move out of the country..).
3. How are the nav units by Fujitsu ten. I see that this is new on the OB 13.

Please advice!
1. I don't believe there have been any updates for the new model yet, but according to Subaru updates can be downloaded to your computer and installed on your nav via a SD card. The older units required buying an update DVD.
2. I just went through this with trading in my 2010. NAV added $500. to trade in value.
3. Not many, they are new but so far reviews have been good. I pick mine up on Monday and will post a review as soon as I get some time on it.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
If you spend the money on nav add eyesight or sap. I know its more money but it's really not that much more on a 30k car. My vote is for eyesight.....obviously.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
If you spend the money on nav add eyesight or sap. I know its more money but it's really not that much more on a 30k car. My vote is for eyesight.....obviously.
I concur. I think eyesight or SAP packaging makes for a better buy than a la carte nav.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited, 3.6, automatic
4 Posts
slow nav on 13 Outback

I see that the questions and replies were back in August. I am having problems with my new Outback and the navigation portion. It is very slow in telling me when to make a turn. Usually "after the fact". I hate to depend on it in an unknown area. I consider this a malfunction an hope there is some fix. Has anyone else experienced this and have you been able to do anything about it. It would also be great to hear that you are NOT having the same problem.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
My nav is excellent. I don't have a slow after the turn experience and the integrated display is really nice when you are doing radio tuning, Bluetooth, actually using nav which I use all the time.
How can you beat updates using the SD card and many have pushed the 8GB to 32GB cards.
Cost to update? How do you calculate an update to a brand new system? I think Subaru picked the SD card because of others complaining about the way the 2010-2012 did it.

As has been said why get nav when Eye Sight comes packaged with nav and moonroof.

I had no use for either but the nav I love, the moonroof is still not valueable to me at all but works well...

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I have contacted SOA about timing and pricing of Nav updates for the 2013+ model years with the Fujitsu Ten system. They had no information (yet) on either.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
I've yet to see my GPS be dangerously inaccurate. Oddly enough, it is making the same mistakes on long road trips that my Garmin with the latest maps make.

Like, telling you to turn 3 blocks early. Or go around the block instead of making a right turn and going straight.

Really weird.

Maps are stored on the SD card. So, an update will be as simple as updating that card, or installing a new card. No telling what the prices will be.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
At first I liked the 13 navigation based on some other cars. A week into ownership I didn't so much against my phone apps. Then I helped tech-daft associates set up their new Toyota, GM and Hondas to conclude none of the car systems are so great.

Now that I've pronounced them not-so great I'll give my promo or argument for NAV. That's get EyeSight. The adaptive cruise is a great friend daily. It has barked or started on the brakes enough times for me to know it could really make the difference if those sorts of moments had me off guard. I was rear ended in Aug by a guy who'd have been spared an accident if he had it.

Even if you use navigation with your phone you get convenience and safety with large map display.

I'm sure there will be 3rd party choices if in some years the OEM is obsolete or we get to the point where our smart phones are better mirrored in the car dashboard.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
There are several long threads on the '13 navigation issues. Mine is so slow as to be useless for actual navigation, though there are other nice features. I really hope Subaru comes up with a firmware upgrade that improves the responsiveness. In the meantime, my old Garmin is on the windshield and working great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have already posted my frustration w/nav updates - what it boils down too is Subaru doesn't appear to have enough control over map upgrades to make their owners happy. At least that's my experience. I was promised free map upgrades but 2 months after the purchase and I am dealing with 3-4 year-old maps. I think if SOA would step up to the plate and at least send out already updated SD cards it would at least allow the dealers demo models to be more accurate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new subaru outback (13) with nav system -- tried to program a street address in Washington DC (L street) and it didn't recognize any letter or number streets in DC -- a real problem since most of the street's are either letters or numbers!! any help appreciated

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
857 Posts
I bought a new subaru outback (13) with nav system -- tried to program a street address in Washington DC (L street) and it didn't recognize any letter or number streets in DC -- a real problem since most of the street's are either letters or numbers!! any help appreciated
I have a 2011 so might be different but on mine there is a part of the set up where you specify the search region. I haven't had any problems with number streets, don't know of any letter streets around here.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Has anyone reported to the feds the need for a recall of Subaru Outback because of navigation system misinformation?
I don't know the answer to your question because I am not in the business of keepin track of the unhappy, daft or crazy.

Whoever takes on this job will have to report other car makers too because all of them use the same few firms to get their base maps.

The only "misinformation" my car has given me has been same as occasional the misinformation I get from Google, Waze or Apple.

The base map upgrade I did certainly fixed stuff like the map matching some newer road construction. The radio upgrade left me with a system that's more responsive and hasn't crashed.

Subaru helped me with the shortcomings of my system, and they chastised the dealer for their shortcomings. I've read here that I'm not alone. What more could I ask for?

Maybe my friend's car has nicer electronics but it really sucks in snow or on muddy roads. Is that something I we shoud report to the government too?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Has anyone reported to the feds the need for a recall of Subaru Outback because of navigation system misinformation?
What would be the premise that involves the Feds to induce a Subaru recall over and above all the other GPS products and systems on the market, either standalone or imbedded in a vehicle?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
The problem with this is that even if the Feds accepted the complaint- which I think is unlikely at best- they would also accept subaru's most likely corrective action: permanently disabling the nav.

That wouldn't help anyone.

Plenty of precedent for it- GM had a recall on trucks where the washer fluid heater could cause fires, so they offered to disable the system entirely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts