Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I bought 2013 subaru outback 2.5 and it has 3300 miles on it now.
From the day one i feel suspension is a bit stiff and i can feel it for everything,i saw in this forum some ppl had problem and they decreased the air pressure,mine is 33 front and 34 rear..i guess that is ok? or should i decrease more?

Another concern is my mileage..i drive 30 miles per day,but 90% is freeway,but mileage is not crossing 23 and more worst is when i drove in highway for 150 miles..still my mileage is 23.1(is it because of winter season) I stay in chicago and mostly my heater on ..

The other concern is Traction control,i dont know whether to turn it off or on,but i i felt skidding with Traction control on..do i need to turn it off or on?

Please give me an advise as iam really upset with my 32k car.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
On the suspension... didn't you test drive it before you bought it? Do not decrease your tire pressure below what is marked on your door placard.

MPG... what speed do you drive on the freeway? Don't expect to drive 70-80mph and get 30 MPG. It does not work that way, not with the way these cars are geared. Your car will much prefer going 55-60. Also consider that MPG tends to increase after the car has had some time to break in.

Traction control should be left on. Your traction control has more to do with your going traction than your stopping traction. You felt skidding under braking? That comes down to your tires and the ABS. Traction control primarily is designed to decrease a possibility of torque steer and keep the vehicle moving in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On the 2013's, they actually stiffened up the suspension because too many people were complaining about the suspension being too soft in prior years. I personally think it's a little stiff, but prefer that to being too soft.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
LOL proof that you can't build a car that works for everyone's taste. HA never thought I would see a thread on this topic in a Subaru Forum. Subaru has always been a tad on the soft side compared to all the other auto makers. The 13 is probably the closest thing to the Automotive standard regarding suspension stiffness that the Legacy platform has ever seen.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
Stiff is good for a Miata with 4.5" ground clearance and
next-to-nothing suspension travel.

Soft is good for an OB with 8.7" ground clearance and
gobs of suspension travel.

IMO, 2010-2012 OBs got it right -- then Mother Soobie
caved-in to complaints from wannabe auto crossers.

...one-size-fits-all doesn't,

Looby

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I've never driven a current generation Outback but I can say that my 2nd gen is a perfect combination. Stiff enough to handle extremely well, soft enough to be comfy.

Those who complain about ride and handling in their Subaru should go drive a Cadillac for a while.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
Since you live in Chicago you aren't speeding unless it's 2am on the tri-state :) .. Winter mileage is really bad on outbacks, we get around 22.5 in Michigan with an 80H/20C mix. It's supposed to improve after 7-10K. I'd just wait, it will also improve with summer gas and warmer temperatures in a few months. The stock Contiprocontact tires are not helping either (with ride or mileage). You could switch to something like Michelin Defender/Energy or Continental Procontact Ecoplus / or similar LRR tires which would get you 1 or 2 mpg better. I'd leave traction control on unless you are on gravel roads or sand.

Also, if possible, leave your heater & fan off when you start driving in cold weather which will keep engine RPM's lower on the CVT. You can turn the heat on when your temp gauge reaches the 3/8 mark. Also, try to keep RPM below 2500-3000 when accelerating. The CVT will change ratios for you. Coast as much as possible instead of using brakes. This might also get you 2-3 mpg more.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Decreasing your air pressure will result in poorer fuel economy as well as driving at speeds above 65mph. During the winter months you're going to see lousy numbers anyway but you can offset them by using a lower fan speed and keeping your warm up time around 30 seconds. Also be sure that your roof bars are stowed.

They stiffened the suspension to make it more compliant during panic maneuvers which of course comes at the cost of comfort.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
My test drive results was that the suspension on the 13 was tighter (especially the front end), but that the rear still liked to wallow a wee bit. Improved over my 11 as far as steering as well. No euro carver or go kart though and doesn't need low tire pressure to make it more like a Buick Electra. If the OP wants that he should hunt for a 10-12 that the original owner wants to sell.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Your tire pressure should be 32 front and 30 rear. That is spec.
Raising the pressure does not improve handling or fuel mileage. I researched this thinking it did increase fuel mileage but discovered that it might have been a couple percent hardly measureable.
Suspension is not stiff or soft to me it is about right. I drive a lot of other cars including an M3 BMW which doesn't have stiff suspension for what it is either. This is a very personal thing so impossible to comment on.
Your fuel mileage seems about right for the conditions and I leaving your traction control on is your best bet. It is very unlikely you are getting any wheel slip unless you notice the indicator showing that with a 2.5L engine...

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Welcome.

I'm getting 18 - 27 in winter driving with city driving at the low end. I'll make more judgements when it's warmer and the car has more miles.

We have gen 4 rev a and b in the family. I'll take the stiffer suspension and I also have mine on the 4x4 only ski area service roads at least once a week where I don't find it too stiff.

At this point I consider it the top player for a station wagon or somebody who needs high traction and minor disappointment with short trip fuel economy and the nav system. Before you take that as too much complaining know I tried several competitors and I'd buy the same car if what I have was totaled tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Soft is good for an OB with 8.7" ground clearance and
gobs of suspension travel.
I agree. I was blown away by my 2011's long travel suspension and was surprised to see complaints about it when I found this place. I guess the float can be disconcerting to some, but to me if feels like a minor version of a trophy truck on rough roads. The roll was a bit much for me on good roads but a 19mm sway bar took care of that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I guess I'm a wannabe autocrosser because I wish I had 2013 suspension. Not a fan of the cushy 2012.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have a CVT 2013 Outback with 17,000 miles on it now, purchased July 2012. Suspension is great, much better than my 2006 Outback which was too soft. The 2013 suspension is a pleasure as there is almost no body roll. I have had the tires at 35 lbs. front and rear filled with nitrogen since new, they have very little wear, no wandering and I have never gotten below 27.3mpg and have gotten as high as 30mpg on mountain trips. Usually on long trips I drive 70-80 mph and still average about 27mpg. It is a pleasure to have a car that is stiff and it makes it much better when pulling a trailer especially with weight in the car as the car then is softer, but does not wallow in the turns which can be a definite problem when pulling a 1500lb trailer.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
My guess is the OP is not in the market for the 19MM rear sway bar. :)

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Hi
I bought 2013 subaru outback 2.5 and it has 3300 miles on it now.
From the day one i feel suspension is a bit stiff and i can feel it for everything,i saw in this forum some ppl had problem and they decreased the air pressure,mine is 33 front and 34 rear..i guess that is ok? or should i decrease more?

Another concern is my mileage..i drive 30 miles per day,but 90% is freeway,but mileage is not crossing 23 and more worst is when i drove in highway for 150 miles..still my mileage is 23.1(is it because of winter season) I stay in chicago and mostly my heater on ..

The other concern is Traction control,i dont know whether to turn it off or on,but i i felt skidding with Traction control on..do i need to turn it off or on?

Please give me an advise as iam really upset with my 32k car.
It's been more or less stated already, but 34 PSI in the rear would probably make the rear end feel a little skittish especially if you're not carrying any passengers or cargo. I know when my dealer put 35 PSI all around my car felt like it wanted to skip around on every bump.

Start with the factory recommended 32/30 and go from there.

I have a 2012 2.5 CVT with the 19mm rear stabilizer. I'm currently running 34f/32r and I think it's a good compromise of ride and handling.

Your fuel economy seems totally normal. It will be better when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I guess I'm a wannabe autocrosser....

...19mm Rear Sway Bar, 26mm Front Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Strut Top Bar
Ya think?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts