Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium CVT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned 2012 Outback 6MT and traded in for a brand new 2013 Subaru Outback Premium CVT with Harmon, All Weather Package and Moonroof and I have to say I love everything about the car except how stiff the suspension is. The car is very hard even on relatively flat and clean pavements, you feel every single bump. Yes, someone might argue that it handles better but this is more of a family and not a performance car...

Do any of you know if there are any ways to soften suspension? Are shocks and springs compatible from Outback 2012? Any other ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Check the tire pressure. The dealer may have forgotten to air down from the 40+psi they are shipped with. I prefer 36 for the fronts and 34 in the rears. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Check the tire pressure. The dealer may have forgotten to air down from the 40+psi they are shipped with. I prefer 36 for the fronts and 34 in the rears. YMMV.
x2. That is the exact pressure setting for my 2012 OB.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I'm sorry you are feeling uncomfortable in the 2013. I found the same thing in the 2012 when I test drove it. When driving the 2012 it felt as though I was driving a 1980's Caprice. It floated down the road and had quite a bit of body roll. I then drove the 2013. It felt firmly planted and smooth. I agree that if you drive on a gravel road or uneven pavement a lot it would get old after a while. Try it out on an interstate and you will love it. The car is truly a good road car. I'm guessing that you can soften it up a little. Some people have spoken about the Conti tires being an issue (I dont mind them), but you may try exchanging for some Michelin brand tires or "tyres" as the europeans call them.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I find the differences there but not extreme or unpleasant. My reference is the 4cyl Limited we got a family member a year before I got my 2013.

My 2013 is better when a cross wind hits at highway speed and is a bit more sure footed on an uneven narrow road. That does not take anything away from the earlier model being a great vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
I owned 2012 Outback 6MT and traded in for a brand new 2013 Subaru Outback Premium CVT with Harmon, All Weather Package and Moonroof and I have to say I love everything about the car except how stiff the suspension is. The car is very hard even on relatively flat and clean pavements, you feel every single bump. Yes, someone might argue that it handles better but this is more of a family and not a performance car...

Do any of you know if there are any ways to soften suspension? Are shocks and springs compatible from Outback 2012? Any other ideas? Thanks
I would imagine that the suspension would be compatible with the 2012 OB. Maybe you could find someone with at 2012 who would be willing to do an suspension transplant with your 2013.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Do the experts know if 13 shocks would fit a 10 model year car?, If so, it woud be a great upgrade for the folks with some miles on there cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree, 2012 was almost too floaty and 2013 too stift...that's why I am trying to find out if maybe I could just replace shocks or springs with 2010-12 models if parts are compatible...

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I totally agree, 2012 was almost too floaty and 2013 too stift...that's why I am trying to find out if maybe I could just replace shocks or springs with 2010-12 models if parts are compatible...
Did you check tire pressure??? If it is this rough, then i will stick with my 2012.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Did you check tire pressure??? If it is this rough, then i will stick with my 2012.
Only you can answer if its too rough, however based on your tires story I'm going to bet its too rough for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, I just checked the tire pressure and it was at 40 on all 4 tires when it should be at 32 front and 30 rear. So, I set at these new levels and the suspension of the car already feels softer.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Guys, I just checked the tire pressure and it was at 40 on all 4 tires when it should be at 32 front and 30 rear. So, I set at these new levels and the suspension of the car already feels softer.
Very cool!! Good to hear.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subaru chose the soft squishy Continental tires to enhance the soft squishy ride ie offer a smooth ride. Assuming the tire pressure is correct I found in some cases even 34-36 was a tad high and the Continentals were squealing pretty bad on slow turn curves etc. I dropped them down to the suggested pressure and they have been much better and also appear to be wearing better. Having said that I'm still getting rid of them very soon. They don't hold balance very well at all which is a big indicator that the tires are not very good quality to start with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same here. Drove the car home and thought it was a little rough on sharp bumps. Tire pressure was 40 all around. Dropped it to 34/32 f/r and that seems to be the sweet spot. Driving down the highway yesterday next to a 10-12 and would hit a bump and the 10-12 would take 3 oscillations to settle back down and mine would take one. Yeah, I probably felt the bump a little more, but I'll take that over wallowing.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Subaru chose the soft squishy Continental tires to enhance the soft squishy ride ie offer a smooth ride. Assuming the tire pressure is correct I found in some cases even 34-36 was a tad high and the Continentals were squealing pretty bad on slow turn curves etc. I dropped them down to the suggested pressure and they have been much better and also appear to be wearing better. Having said that I'm still getting rid of them very soon. They don't hold balance very well at all which is a big indicator that the tires are not very good quality to start with.
I like the soft ride thank you! :29: Even just changing tire to Michelin Defender made my ass feel bad...Conti's made my ass happy. :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Same here. Drove the car home and thought it was a little rough on sharp bumps. Tire pressure was 40 all around. Dropped it to 34/32 f/r and that seems to be the sweet spot. Driving down the highway yesterday next to a 10-12 and would hit a bump and the 10-12 would take 3 oscillations to settle back down and mine would take one. Yeah, I probably felt the bump a little more, but I'll take that over wallowing.
This is what made me so happy with the 13 suspension, shock dampening.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
yeah check the tire pressures. both the subarus i bought since last august had the tires close to 50 psi. also if you wanna trade struts, let me know.

·
Registered
982 Posts
What do you mean by saying shock dampening?
ShOck dampening controls how the spring returns after being compressed. There are a few ways to achieve this and it has an effect on compression as well. The 2013 slows the rate at which the spring extends back after being compressed. The 10-12 allow the spring to extend back to quickly allowing the suspension to bounce back into another smaller compression stroke. Subaru could have left the ride soft and fixed this effect but they chose to increase stiffness and address the bounce effect as well. Good shock dampening also keeps the tires in better contact with the ground over rough terrain at high speeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Best solution

ShOck dampening controls how the spring returns after being compressed. There are a few ways to achieve this and it has an effect on compression as well. The 2013 slows the rate at which the spring extends back after being compressed. The 10-12 allow the spring to extend back to quickly allowing the suspension to bounce back into another smaller compression stroke. Subaru could have left the ride soft and fixed this effect but they chose to increase stiffness and address the bounce effect as well. Good shock dampening also keeps the tires in better contact with the ground over rough terrain at high speeds.
So if suspension parts from 2010-12s are compatible, what one change would you make to have a perfect middle ground? Replace only shocks? Leave springs and everything else in place? Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts