Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I tried searching and didin't see anything. I was looking to get a 2012 or '13 2.5 outback. I wanted to get the ecu tuned. I sent an email to COBB and they said they had no plans to make an AP for it.. Is a downpipe/exhaust and CAI (although I heard those provide very little help) the only thing for these??? I'm mostly getting this for the mileage, but I'm wondering if I need to make the jump to the 3.6...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Its not a performance vehicle i would waste the money on. My 3.6r is slow too.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
There's not a whole lot you can do without making other modifications to the engine. For better mileage you pretty much just have to drive it better.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I don't see people blazing the trail for tuning these models. You could be the first, to just get the 3.6 if you want the cheap way out.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really looking to go fast, maybe give it a little oomph, maybe help it breathe better for some MPG gains (minimal). So it's pretty much exhaust, or just leave it stock and roll

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Search around here. I have seen performance exhaust and lowering by installing the LegacyGT suspension. There is a group buy going on for a lightweight billet aluminum crank pulley over at LegacyGT forums and they are looking for some Outback drivers to help get enough people for the buy. Other than that most people are installing a 19mm rear sway bar. Kartboy makes sway bar drop links, but the are expensive for not much performance gain. There are some polyurethane suspension bushings available too, but they are from overseas so shipping costs 10x the actual parts. I'd like to get poly bushings on my sway bars as I have read this is worth the effort.

Your best bet is to sign up for an account over at the LegacyGT forum and search over there. Those guys have done a lot more with performance mods on the 3.6 and many of the mods (but not all) can be applied to the Outback as many parts are shared.

It would be really nice to have access to the Subaru parts catalog to cross reference part numbers, but I have not found a way to get this on my PC yet. Only the factory service manual which does not include parts.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying...

Just pointing out that you'd be battling up hill with that project.

Subaru intakes (at least up until the 2013) were designed very well for low end torque. You can get more top-end power out of the aftermarket intakes for the older engines, same likely true for the FB once somebody makes one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts