Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer is offering me a used 2.5 limited OB with Special Appearance Package (SAP) and only 600 miles for $29,500. It's in great shape, just like new and car fax certified. Warrantty is just like a new OB, remainder of 3 yrs/36k miles.

I can also choose the brand new 2013 2.5 limited with moonroof package and popular package #2 for $29k. Decision decision but i'm leaning toward the used one with SAP since it has everything compared to the new one and more for an extra $500.

What do you think is a better deal? I tried to get the dealer to bring the used one down to $29k but he did not budge.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think some people got the same car for $1k more, so that's not too bad of a deal. Did you happen to ask the history of it? Traded for something else, demo, etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. Someone bought it and decided they no longer wanted it. We inspected for visual defects and found none. I think it's worth it for an extra $500. Now I just need to convince the wife.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your happy with used I wouldn't let it slow me down. It's basically new and in a couple of months that 600 miles won't mean a thing. Price sounds ok but if you have a set price then make the offer and stick to it. I don't know what the interior illumination kit is. When I push the unlock button everything lights up in the car so not sure what that adds. When I got mine I said I wanted the cargo net and they just through it in for free. That's small stuff. But a piece of advice with that net. A salesman will probably install it and they did not twist the anchoring points enough to cause the expansion sleeve to hold it in securely and it came out with a pretty good pop. Easy to fix, just check it.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
If appropriate, you might check for the Guaranteed Trade Program on this - essentially - used vehicle. Whether that makes a difference, or not, may be a deciding factor. Even at 600 miles, this is a used vehicle, because it has been titled before you would take possession (although, that might depend on your state's registration laws.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A dealer is offering me a used 2.5 limited OB with Special Appearance Package (SAP) and only 600 miles for $29,500. It's in great shape, just like new and car fax certified. Warrantty is just like a new OB, remainder of 3 yrs/36k miles.

I can also choose the brand new 2013 2.5 limited with moonroof package and popular package #2 for $29k. Decision decision but i'm leaning toward the used one with SAP since it has everything compared to the new one and more for an extra $500.

What do you think is a better deal? I tried to get the dealer to bring the used one down to $29k but he did not budge.
Invoice is about $30.2k~. Depending on what else is included that may be a good price (however, it is used and that lowers the price). What else is included on the car?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If appropriate, you might check for the Guaranteed Trade Program on this - essentially - used vehicle. Whether that makes a difference, or not, may be a deciding factor. Even at 600 miles, this is a used vehicle, because it has been titled before you would take possession (although, that might depend on your state's registration laws.
As a used vehicle, I don't think that it would qualify for GTP in the future. I think that you must be the "original owner". Also GTP is not applicable until the car is over one year old.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
If i were you, then i would seal the deal by asking them to include the extended warranty into the price. This way, even as a used vehicle, you have peace of mind for a long time!

You want $500 less for the SAP, right? Well, ask them to include the ext. warranty, and you will buy at $29.5.

If they are willing to do this withOUT raising the price, then i would jump for it! ****, if you won't, then i will! :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I didn't think about the extended warranty, that's a great idea.
GOLD SAS @ 7 years/100k miles/$0 Deductible at less than ~$750 would go a long way. That price is a bit less than Invoice and them forfeiting all profits - and giving you a couple of bucks.

Edit: 30k with what I expressed, above would be a great deal - that is if you intend to keep the car for the long.

G-

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
GOLD SAS @ 7 years/100k miles/$0 Deductible at less than ~$750 would go a long way. That price is a bit less than Invoice and them forfeiting all profits - and giving you a couple of bucks.

Edit: 30k with what I expressed, above would be a great deal - that is if you intend to keep the car for the long.

G-
You think $1000 would be a fair offer by someone without mitigating circumstances?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. FYI....the car's color is brown and it comes with other small accessories such as all weather floor mats and a cargo net. That's interesting that you mentioned about the trade in program. That's definitely something I will use to make a counteroffer. I will try to get them to extend the warranty for $29.5 or I walk away. They did not inform me that the car is not eligible for trade in program. I just confirmed it that it is not by researching via Subaru.com.

Another option is to order a new one with SAP for hopefully under invoice at $29.5. The disadvantage is to wait for for a few weeks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you want the brown, you can no longer order it. Supposedly the cutoff date was the 31st. You can still get white or black with the SAP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My curiosity has led me to learn a great deal about this car. It started with the tires. Upon the walkabout inspection, I noticed there are 4 Michelin tires mounted to the wheels. Based on my research, the 2013 models come with the Continental tires. My initial thought was, "are there hidden issues I don't know about?"

This provoking thought led me to the Carfax report, in which I was able to track down the previous owner(PO) by contacted the dealer where the vehicle was purchased and serviced. I learned that the PO had the dealer installed the remote starter, a $300-$400 option. Also, the PO had the dealer installed 4 Michelin tires because he didn't think the OEM tires were comfortable. That's an estimated $800, based on the cost of the tires (Tiresracks.com) and mounting/balancing. That answered my question.

The cool thing about all of this is that the dealer had no idea about these add on options as they were never mentioned to me when we were negotiating. Also, I was able to talk to the PO and learned the reason he got rid of it was because the ride was too harsh for his back as he just had two back surgeries. He ended up trading it in to a local Toyota dealer for a Venza. Sadly for him, he only got $27k for it. The Toyota dealer then sold it to my local Subaru dealer where I will purchase from. I don't know how much they paid for it but I figured they will profit somewhere between $1k-$1.5k, provided the final selling price of $29.5k. The sales manager told me he makes about $800 from this transaction, of course that's hard to believe, especially coming from him.

I tried to get the dealer to throw in the roof rack but he declined. I figured at $29.5k with the above mentioned add ons, I'm confident I got a great deal. Most importaintly, it's comforting to know the history of the vehicle. I will pick it up tomorrow for $29.5k.

It's always good to do thorough research.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hanlees Napa Subaru. Car had to be located by them and then a dealer trade. The only other options were the puddle lights and lighting option 2, which is the lighted seals, and the lights in the foot wells, which were on the vehicle I wanted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Samta09: It's good you were able to get all of the background information on your car. In late July, we were interested in a SAP on another dealer's lot, and learned that it had been damaged ($1200) during a storm. I suppose the dealer would have to reveal this information before selling to a customer.

I say go for it, although, personally, I would take it to a mechanic that I trust. Just in case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
Samta09
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing