Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium Graphite w/ All Weather
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 2012 and 2013 outback (without nav) units as far as harnesses, antenna, ASWC adapters are concerned? I am looking to follow in rockthebeef's footsteps and put in an AppRadio 2 sometime in the next month :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
5 Posts
There is no difference for the Harmon Kardon setup. I wouldn't think there would be any differences with the others

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Sorry, can't help with your question unless maybe you pull the head unit and post a picture of the harnesses/receptacles.

But, just a word of caution on the AppRadio - the iPhone 5 may or may not ever work with it. Since Apple removed "iPod out" and analog video output (two things the appradio relies on), there is currently no solution on Pioneer's end. There's more to it so I'm just loosely paraphrasing what the current discussions are about. They may be able to make a new cable for it, but for now it's wait and see. I'll cross that bridge when I get there as my iPhone 4S is still quite new and going strong.

There's a big thread about the iPhone 5/AppRadio over on the avic411.com forums.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RtB for the heads up. I'll probably pull it at some point and just look at the pictures you posted.

As for the iPhone 5... I don't plan on upgrading for a year, so I hope some sort of solution comes about by then. From what I found just researching for a few seconds, there is only wireless video out support on the iPhone 5 :(

How do you like your AppRadio 2? The jailbreak Appradio Extensions seems very buggy still from the video DavePioneer posted on Youtube. How stable is the setup? I ask because my fiance is not very tech savvy and if this thing breaks quite often while using it, she'll be less than pleased.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Hmmm... wireless video out is probably possible, but the touch screen inputs still need a physical connection - or at least I think it does. I'm not super savvy on how it all works.

I like my AppRadio2 very much, but I have a relatively high threshold for finicky electronics. In it's stock (not jailbroken) form, it is fairly stable. When Pandora is active (even in the background) on the phone, the AppRadio has a tendency to default to Pandora. It's annoying sometimes. I haven't done any real scientific tests, but it seems that some things cause Advanced App mode to not open properly. When you first plug the phone into the Radio, the phone will ask you to allow AppRadio to comuunicate with the phone. There will also be a "lawyer" sceen that you have to click OK on. With all the "allowing" and "OKing" that you have to press to get to the actual good stuff, sometimes it just doesn't connect and you may have to unplug and start over. :rolleyes:

I bought the AR2 to save myself hundreds of dollars over something with built-in GPS. It works for me, but I'm not too sure if my wife would like messing with it. She's extremely intelligent but I don't think she cares for fiddling with electronics as much as I do.

I'd look hard at something with built-in GPS, and bluetooth streaming to make it as close to a factory radio as possible. I think you have to be pretty geeked out to enjoy using the AR2, but that's my opinion.

From what I've read you can plug your phone into the display at Best Buy to see how you like it. I would suggest to download the relevant apps and do some hands-on testing. It may or may not be as cumbersome as I make it out to be. I have a hard time gauging people's tech aptitude.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty geeky when it comes to this stuff, but like your wife, my SO doesn't care to fiddle with electronics.

Another question: I heard that the iPhone screen is always on while connected to the AppRadio. Is this something you noticed as well? I've typically had problems with my phone heating up while while having the screen left on (well not a problem to the extent of it dying, but reducing battery life probably).

Best Buy testing is a good idea and I'll probably do that this weekend.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Another question: I heard that the iPhone screen is always on while connected to the AppRadio. Is this something you noticed as well? I've typically had problems with my phone heating up while while having the screen left on (well not a problem to the extent of it dying, but reducing battery life probably).
Sort of... When using an App in "Advanced App Mode" the phone screen will stay on. If you shut the screen off, the AppRadio screen will go blank also, but the audio will keep on going (I think?). Perhaps there's a setting in the phone itself that will allow the screen to "sleep" but keep the apps running - I'm really not sure at the moment.

If you're using a feature that lies outside the confines of Advanced App Mode, for example iPod mode or Pandora Mode, then you may shut off the phone screen and control everything from the head unit.

I recently was on a 7-8 hour drive from Yosemite to San Diego. I had Motion X GPS running and I was streaming Pandora at the same time. Somewhere around Los Angeles, my phone gave me a temperature warning screen and it shut down the radio screen. the phone was pretty hot, but my phone mount is nowhere near a vent. If you ventilate the phone I think it would not overheat. but driving for hours on end is not typical for me so I haven't worried about it.

Another thing is you can always just plug an old ipod into the radio and use that for music only. You're phone will still wirelessly pair with the head unit for phone calls, but you will not have App mode. This is the least cumbersome method since you'd be taking the apps out of the equation. Perhaps your fiance would be fine with that. But alas, you will not have access to apps (i.e. GPS nav).

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 2012 and 2013 outback (without nav) units as far as harnesses, antenna, ASWC adapters are concerned? I am looking to follow in rockthebeef's footsteps and put in an AppRadio 2 sometime in the next month :)

In most cases, the manufacturer will stick a given harness for a few years before making changes. Since Subaru changed the harness for the '12 MY I would expect that it would continue to use the same harness for the '13 MY. Like RTB noted, the iPhone 5 with the new connector may (probably won't have control and video functions) cause some issues with legacy connections.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Are you referring to the audio harness (no nav)?
Do you have a source for this change?

According to ae64.com, the harness changed in 2010.
Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out

I found out when it came time to put the aftermarket nav in my '12!! David probably hasn't updated his site but is well aware of the new plugs (as of '12) and has about 30 pics that I took for him when we were trying to get things sorted for my install. For radio power and speakers etc.. its nothing more than a 1987 and up Toyota harness (a 70-1761 if memory serves me). Feel free to look up a few of my posts of my install, and feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It might have either harness, and I would pull it out to see which one it has. The older ('10 & '11) used a single harness that included all power and speakers where as the '12 uses the two piece harness.

My OEM radio is the one on this page: http://http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2012photos2.html
about half way down, listed as the redesigned for 2012 standard on limited and optional on premiums.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Ltd
44 Posts
Need wire harness asap

I found out when it came time to put the aftermarket nav in my '12!! David probably hasn't updated his site but is well aware of the new plugs (as of '12) and has about 30 pics that I took for him when we were trying to get things sorted for my install. For radio power and speakers etc.. its nothing more than a 1987 and up Toyota harness (a 70-1761 if memory serves me). Feel free to look up a few of my posts of my install, and feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with my car stereo install. I need a wire harness for my 2012 (purchased in January) Outback with HK Premium Sound, no navi. I emailed "David" earlier today and haven't heard back. Can any of you kind folks suggest another place for me to get my wire harness?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with my car stereo install. I need a wire harness for my 2012 (purchased in January) Outback with HK Premium Sound, no navi. I emailed "David" earlier today and haven't heard back. Can any of you kind folks suggest another place for me to get my wire harness?

Thanks
David is around. I just got an email from him on Monday. He is a bit slow, but I presume it's because he's swamped with other things in life.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks

You should need a Metra 70-1761 for power/ground/speaker etc and will have to move the antenna power (usually blue) from the 6 pin harness to the 10 pin harness. All of the other connections are standard Subaru aftermarket pieces. The 28 pin harness contains the wiring for the steering wheel controls. Axxess's site lists what wires you need to tap onto to get them controls to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should need a Metra 70-1761 for power/ground/speaker etc and will have to move the antenna power (usually blue) from the 6 pin harness to the 10 pin harness. All of the other connections are standard Subaru aftermarket pieces. The 28 pin harness contains the wiring for the steering wheel controls. Axxess's site lists what wires you need to tap onto to get them controls to work.
Hi, I am trying to install a Pioneer AVH 5500 with the ASWC Axxess taping on the 28 pin harness (have 2012 HK w/o Nav). I am following the instructions from Axxess site (Toyota 28-pin instruction here http://contentdocs.installernet.com/documents/vehicle/12224.pdf) but get an automatic volume up to max when turning on. I can lower the volume on the unit or using the steering wheel control, but it automatically goes up again to the maximun volume. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
You need to update the ASWC to the latest firmware. I had the same problem with mine. Mine would stay at the initial volume until I tried one of the steering wheel controls and then go to max volume. Get a local specialty shop to update the firmware or do it yourself if you have one the cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am trying to install a Pioneer AVH 5500 with the ASWC Axxess taping on the 28 pin harness (have 2012 HK w/o Nav). I am following the instructions from Axxess site (Toyota 28-pin instruction here http://contentdocs.installernet.com/documents/vehicle/12224.pdf) but get an automatic volume up to max when turning on. I can lower the volume on the unit or using the steering wheel control, but it automatically goes up again to the maximun volume. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
How did you end up fixing this?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I fixed mine by updating the firmware in the ASWC itself. Stop by the shop you got it from and they should be able to handle it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts