Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 17" OEM Subaru wheel from a 2008 Outback also fit a 2013 Outback?

I have a 2008 and 2013 Outback and a full size spare in the 2008. I'd like to switch it from vehicle to vehicle for road trips. I know the tire itself is a different size.

Several threads on this forum have covered the fact that the generation 4 sparewell will not accomadate the 225-60-17 tire, even aired down. But if the wheels will swap I would at least be able to use a 225-55-17 new tire from 2008. Even though shorter (26.7" OD v. 27.6" OD of the 2013) it would still be a better second choice than mounting the donut spare or carrying a spare of 225-60-17 laying openly in the trunk or in a roof basket in case I destroyed a tire 100 miles into the forest. It would be temporary until a tire shop could be found, not a fifth tire for rotation.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Yes, it will fit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. One less thing to worry about. Oh wait...should I worry about brake clearance issues?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Now I can sleep tonight. Tomorrow the 2008 wheel/tire goes in the 2013 sparewell. you've saved me the trouble of jacking up the 2013, removing a wheel and seeing it fit for myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure if this is relevant (based on your 2008 comment), but on my 2012 subaru outback 2.5i premium, a full-size 17" spare (and I bought the *same* tire as is on my Subaru), DOES NOT fit in the spare compartment *even* with the foam insert removed.

My solution: master lock python cable secured to overhead child seat lock allows me to store tire vertically (takes up a lot of space laid horizontally).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2013 CVT Outback. Simply pulled out the donut tire, put in a full size spare with all my gear under it and in it. It is perhaps 1/4" high in the middle, but the back and front lie down. No real difficulty. Tire is fully pressurized and on a OEM Subaru 2010+ rim. Not a perfect fit, but definitely cheaper than buying a $500 cargo box or basket and the resulting increased gas mileage. I could have driven it down the 1/4" at the front if I wanted with a rubber mallet, but saw no need to. The fit is actually alright. Then in the bed I carry Treds for sand and mud extrication, a small compressor and a come-along (which is marginal at best).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Only thing is your tire size might be different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
GasGuzz
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing