Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT/2019 Outback when I have to
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not gotten any answers so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I just got a 2013 with the SAP package. That comes with an electronic ignition key that you just leave in your pocket. Guess what, there is NO accessory position, so I can't figure out how to turn on the radio without having the engine running.

Anyone else with this option who has figured this out or is my search in vain. Could not find anything in the car manual or the audio manual.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
I don't have the SAP or a 13 for that matter, but other cars with the push button start typically operate as:

press the start button once WITHOUT your foot on the brake.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT/2019 Outback when I have to
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOME RUN.

Thanks

I don't have the SAP or a 13 for that matter, but other cars with the push button start typically operate as:

press the start button once WITHOUT your foot on the brake.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Outback (soon a 2013)
33 Posts
I have the SAP as well, here is how it works in various modes:

Car Off + Foot on Brake + Button = Engine Running
Car Off + Button (no foot on brake) = Accessory
Car in Accessory + Button (no foot on brake) = On

Basically without foot on brake, the button cycles between Off, Accessory, and On.

Also, if you are driving somewhere and want to shut the car off buy leave it on/accessory mode to continue to listen to the radio, press the button before putting it in park (make sure you are stopped!) and the engine will shut off, but the power will stay on to the accessories.

Rich

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium in Cobalt
3 Posts
Thank you Rich! I have been looking for instructions to keep the radio on when I turn off the ignition but dealers, etc, seemed baffled. I was at a point of giving up and I don't think I would have thought of hitting the button without being in park so you've been a big help!!
(Bought a 2015 keyless OB last month to replace an older one with keyed ignition.)

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
There's a complete explanation and diagram of the push-button operation on pages 3-5 and 3-6 of the 2013 SAP owners manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts