Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the entire forum and found all sorts of DIYs for transfer case and rear differential oil changes but either did not match my car model or engine.

Can anyone help please:
- Rear differential: 10mm Hex (short regular socket OK?) for drain and fill? What torque when you put them back on? Any gaskets / washers to get in advance?
- Front differential: T70 torx bit for drain. What about for fill? What torque for both? Any gaskets / washers?
The manual calls for GL-5 - 75W/90 oil on both.

I wouldn't think someone would have a DIY with pictures for this subject...?

There is no dipstick for tranny oil and the manual says no need to check. Is that what I heard about as "sealed unit" where if the fluid has to come out or anything happens it is bye-bye tranny? How long can that oil last??? I am hoping for a 200,000 miles life on this vehicle ... what oil will do that?? The vehicle is even equipped (from purchase) with a towing hitch ... that means more strain on the transmission ... :confused:
Also: is there a front diff. oil to be changed, aside from the transfer case? Or changing the transfer case oil takes care of the front diff as well? Or the CVT is somehow "married" w/ transfer case and all we need to worry about is the Front diff.?

Another quick question: I was thinking about buying the 3 day Subaru Technical Information System subscription. Would that make possible to download the entire book in one pdf, at once, or someone would have to go through the entire book, chapter by chapter and make it pdf in order to save it?

Thank you gentlemen! I could not find one preventive maintenance thread for the 2013 Outback, 2.5i, CVT ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was this thread posted by you yesterday not enough?
Sorry for the confusion ... the one I posted before didn't have a very good title and I tried to change it or delete the thread and re-post but it didn't work. I apologize, I am new at this... I will be more careful next time not to clutter things in here :)
I was hoping to get an answer and since I haven't seen any on the old post I figured maybe I didn't post it right ...

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
I was thinking about buying the 3 day Subaru Technical Information System subscription. Would that make possible to download the entire book in one pdf, at once, or someone would have to go through the entire book, chapter by chapter and make it pdf in order to save it?
You would have to download and save each of the individual files (they are already in pdf format), and then organize them in your own folder.

Some have figured out ways to automate the download. See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/31001-anyone-figure-out-way-download-entire-2011-service-manual-web-their-pc.html?highlight=service+manual

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
1) Follow your manual. Even at 120k miles it says "inspect" only, unless you tow. Many people on here think that's crazy but that's what the manual says. "Repeated trailer towing" is the only condition that shortens the time to 24,855 miles according to the manual. Oil last a very long time, tranny oil lasts even longer. Figure 100k is an early change interval if you don't tow. People will disagree with me on this. I plan to test the oil with an oil analysis to help me decide.

2) The cvt no separate front differential. Also your car has no " transfer case." Both components use the same fluid. The rear diff calls for "inspect" only unless condition supply and then it's 15k miles and it sites use great oil.. In my experience 60k is a good early change.

Of course if your vehicle is 10 years old it's a good idea to change all those fluids as well. Time may heal all wounds but water has a way of getting into oil over an extended period of time. The rest of us well have to figure this out as we go.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
. . . 2) The cvt no separate front differential. Also your car has no " transfer case." Both components use the same fluid. . . .
Not according to the FSM. See attached. Recommended lubricant is GL-5 gear oil.

But I agree that because of the way this is set up, and the newness of the CVT, it's probably better not to go beyond the maintenance schedule, and perhaps leave it to the dealer during the drive train warranty period.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all!
So again, the vehicle has a front and a rear diff. and they both require oil changes. What about the transfer case?
The front diff is filled through the breather pipe located under the hood (low, just in front of the windshield). Is that right?
Also, seems it needs new gasket for the overflow drain plug, but the manual doesn't mention anything about a washer on the drain plug.
I guess not many 2013 or even 2012 needed diff (front & rear) changed yet. I saw some DIYs on 3.6R engines but none on the 2.5i.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is very confusing: in the user manual doesn't say anywhere to change the oil in the CVT transmission. The owners manual only says: "There is no fluid level gauge. It is unnecessary to check the CVT fluid level. However, if necessary, consult your Subaru dealer for inspection." The service manual calls to change all diff and transmision fluids @ service D, which is every 60,000 miles, but the manual is for all transmissions, not just CVT. anyone here maybe knows for sure? Does it need changed or not?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Not according to the FSM. See attached. Recommended lubricant is GL-5 gear oil.

But I agree that because of the way this is set up, and the newness of the CVT, it's probably better not to go beyond the maintenance schedule, and perhaps leave it to the dealer during the drive train warranty period.
Huh. So the Subie tech that told me the front dif and the CVT share the same lubricant was wrong. Silly tech.

Anyway, I was right about there not being a Transfer Case... right?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Front and rear differentials take a 75w-90 gear lube. I use the Amsoil Severe Gear, but there are many others. Front capacity is ~ 1.2 qts; rear diff capacity is ~ 0.8 qts (until it runs out the fill plug on level ground.) To open the fill and drain plugs you need a 13 mm (bigger than 1/2"), square socket fitting and a breaker bar (they're on tight!). I got this socket on line.

The CVT holds 12.7 quarts of synthetic fluid especially made for the CVT. There is no aftermarket replacement I know of. I plan on having the dealer change this every 100k miles.

TS

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
. . .Anyway, I was right about there not being a Transfer Case... right?
Yes, indeed. But some do think that if it's AWD, it's 4WD, and "don't all 4WD's have a separate transfer case?", or so the thinking goes.

No transfer case in the Subaru.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yes, indeed. But some do think that if it's AWD, it's 4WD, and "don't all 4WD's have a separate transfer case?, or so the thinking goes.

No transfer case in the Subaru.
Sorry, I was kind of joking. :p

I mean if I was wrong about one thing...

If you have to explain a joke, then it's not funny. Thanks though!

·
Registered
394 Posts
On the CVT models there is in fact a "Haldex" type center differential, which uses an electronically controlled, multi plate clutch. To the best of my knowledge this unit isn't serviceable.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
On the CVT models there is in fact a "Haldex" type center differential, which uses an electronically controlled, multi plate clutch. To the best of my knowledge this unit isn't serviceable.
Are you sure ("in fact")?

The AWD system is essentially the same as was in the 4EAT; namely a hydraulically-activated, electronically-controlled multi-plate clutch between the transmission output and the rear propeller shaft. No gears, no differential. See attached from the FSM.

The "simple" difference between the 4EAT and the CVT is what's between the torque converter at the front end and the AWD mechanism in the tail section. In the 4EAT it's a series of planetary gear sets to provide 4 gear ratios; in the CVT it's the variable pulley and chain system.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front and rear differentials take a 75w-90 gear lube. I use the Amsoil Severe Gear, but there are many others. Front capacity is ~ 1.2 qts; rear diff capacity is ~ 0.8 qts (until it runs out the fill plug on level ground.) To open the fill and drain plugs you need a 13 mm (bigger than 1/2"), square socket fitting and a breaker bar (they're on tight!). I got this socket on line.

The CVT holds 12.7 quarts of synthetic fluid especially made for the CVT. There is no aftermarket replacement I know of. I plan on having the dealer change this every 100k miles.

TS
Thank you Sir!:29:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Severe Conditions

Just to note - my warranty and maintenance booklet says to replace my front and rear differential gear oil at 15,000 miles and my CVT fluid at 24,855 miles when frequently operating under severe conditions.

That's us in Alaska with the extreme cold and short driving distances. These DIY threads are going to be a big help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
mixer107
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing